Outboard Skeg

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normlee

Hi,

Looking to buy a 3.5 size o/b that does not have a skeg. I have seen a few like this over time, can anyone please tell me advantages/disadvantages for this setup on a tunnel?

Cheers,

Norm

Not sure what the advantage of no skeg could be. Your gain in speed would be un-measurable. I have seen boats run after breaking a skeg off and they do not handle well to total loss of control.

Mic

I can tell you by experiance my wifes boat broke a skeg she had a real hard time handling the boat on turns she did it but i could tell it was real hard

I had one of those units several years ago. Can't recall it's mfg. It was sold off to Slideblues. Believe he was going to use it for a SAW tunnel. If memory is correct, it didn't have a cav plate either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one of those units several years ago. Can't recall it's mfg. It was sold off to Slideblues. Believe he was going to use it for a SAW tunnel. If memory is correct, it didn't have a cav plate either.
WHAT!!!??? The Mark Scott!?

How are you man??

That unit is very close to what I had. It didn't have the steering control arms. But does look very close to what I recall. Never heard from Gene if he ever used it. I never did.

How are you man??
Kris,

Cheers mate! It's been up and down the past 4 years. Bad marriage, bad (maybe good) divorce. Job was moved over seas
default_sad.png
Just happy that I'm now closer to the club pond and back to running boats. Have to get the cobwebs out of the gear and back into building and racing. There's more, but don't want to take away from the thread. I'll be getting a PM to you for some shafts once I figure out what I need. G'Day!

That unit is very close to what I had. It didn't have the steering control arms. But does look very close to what I recall. Never heard from Gene if he ever used it. I never did.

How are you man??
Kris,

Cheers mate! It's been up and down the past 4 years. Bad marriage, bad (maybe good) divorce. Job was moved over seas
default_sad.png
Just happy that I'm now closer to the club pond and back to running boats. Have to get the cobwebs out of the gear and back into building and racing. There's more, but don't want to take away from the thread. I'll be getting a PM to you for some shafts once I figure out what I need. G'Day!
Look forward to hearing from you more from now on! It is great to hear that you are back mate.

Cheers

Norm,

If I can find the Prather turn fin from their throttle exhaust kit in my boxes of stuff, be more than happy to send it to you. Might be able to adapt it to that lower. Let me know if you think it might work for you.

Welcome back, Mark!! I have run the offset rudder from the prather mod kit. Only on my ob riggers, though - never tried it on a tunnel, might work well; it worked well on the riggers.

Don't have an opinion on your strut question BUT If what you have pictured is your set up, I would strongly recommend you turn your pipe over so the pressure nipple is on the top. It will help prevent junk from making it into your fuel system. Tom Galdys

Hey Mark !

Good to hear from you,

Yea I ran one couple times while fast was purdy crazy to turn.

Bout that time I moved and lost both ponds I was run'n at,

Gene

Hello Robin & Mean Gene!

So good to be back to IW and running boats. The drive to the pond is now only 20 mins vs 2 hours. New job is 1/2 the pay, but at least I'm working. Unenjoyement was not enjoyable
default_ph34r.png

Back