OPS .40 Marine Engine

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Haley

Hello all,
Can anyone give me any information on this engine as far as the model #, approximate year of manufacture. I purchase a V Hull Boat with one these engines in it and it is in excellent condition. Great compression and pinch. The engine in the pictures is identical and never been started. It is a spare. It is well oiled and I cannot turn it over by hand unless I remove the glow plug. It is very obvious that it was prepared for storage very well. Both engines are in excellent condition. Any input or info would be great. Also are parts still available?
Regards,
Chris

Attachments

• IMG_2374.jpg
    IMG_2374.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2375.jpg
    IMG_2375.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 70
Thank You Brad.
I am not going to race or have these engines modified so parts availability is not a major concern.
Any info on model # and year? I have an OPS 60 that is a really impressive engine in another V Hull. When I took it apart and cleaned everything, I didn't think I would like the drum valve setup. Man was I wrong. Now all my outriggers have the same setup. The Novarrossi's, CMB's that I have, have been modified and make unreal power and speed.
Anyone with Model # or something to reference these engines to if was to look for parts, (mainly head shims and gaskets)
Thank You All,
Chris

Your engine seems be #8670 and it can seen in my enclosed OPS product catalog. And i have few spare parts for this .40 engine, thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20191105_202854 (480x640).jpg
    IMG_20191105_202854 (480x640).jpg
    220 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20191105_203311 (480x640).jpg
    IMG_20191105_203311 (480x640).jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 51
Thanks Patrick,
I does look very similar to mine. The exhaust tube off the engine is slightly shorter and the carb needle valve is vertical with the intake at the 12 O'clock position. I have no idea if the carb can be turned 90 degrees. I have been working 10-12 hour days and have no time at the present to attend to all my boats. I paid $40 for the boat, the engine and other accessories. Are you in the States?
Regards,
Chris

The carb can be turned to where you want by loosening the carb nut and tapping it then turn the carb. The bolt will not fall out unless you pull the carb out. There were a lot of different socks as far as length and angle.

Brad

Chris, right on Brad that the carb can be turn 90 degree depends on your setting and unfortunately i have not lived in US but i can ship the parts via economic mail started from $5.

Thank You Brad and Patrick.
I would have thought the carb would turn to any degree as most of my other engine do. There have been a very few where you could not. (the carb was notched for the pinch bolts, the sleeves were not "beveled" on the ends that oppose each other. They simply squeezed the casting to hold the carb).
I really appreciate you guys. Thank You for your replies and input.
Chris

Chris, If you need anything for this motor or you 65/67 OPS I do have it all, both ne and used. Tom

Hello Chris:

Although I can't see the top-view of your OPS engine clearly (from your images), it looks to me that it's more than likely a .45 (manufactured in 1980's), and not a .40 displacement model. As the head appears to be machined flat on top. The .40 version utilizes the original cast-aluminum water-cooled head with "40" molded-into the top surface. This surface is machined flat on the .45 so as to distinguish the two apart. Moreover both, the .40 and .45, share the original case with "40" molded-into the aluminum casting.

I have quite an assortment of brand-new parts for the (1980's) OPS .45 marine as well. Let me know I will post images
OPS_WaterCooledHead-PartNo.495_02.jpg OPS_WaterCooledHead-PartNo.49XX_01.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Chris!

It looks like a old version of the OPS45. (Came 1979 i think)
Throat in the case of the first 45:s were 12mm. Old cast carbs came in 8 and 9mm hole.
Next version came with cast carbs with 14mm throat.
Next one is machined carb 9mm hole and case has no longer 40 on the side.
Next one come with taperd shape side ports on case.
Next come with taperd side ports and "thick" front housing.
Next one come with 2 small flenges on the side port and the "thick" front housing.
Also was it now possible to choose disk or drum version.
Drum versoin you could get with STD 9mm machined carb or the 10mm flat slide carb with idle needle.

I Think i have all the models of the old 45 engine listed.
Yes, only the 40 Engine has 40 on the top.

Regards Anders

Hi Chris!

It looks like a old version of the OPS45. (Came 1979 i think)
Throat in the case of the first 45:s were 12mm. Old cast carbs came in 8 and 9mm hole.
Next version came with cast carbs with 14mm throat.
Next one is machined carb 9mm hole and case has no longer 40 on the side.
Next one come with taperd shape side ports on case.
Next come with taperd side ports and "thick" front housing.
Next one come with 2 small flenges on the side port and the "thick" front housing.
Also was it now possible to choose disk or drum version.
Drum versoin you could get with STD 9mm machined carb or the 10mm flat slide carb with idle needle.

I Think i have all the models of the old 45 engine listed.
Yes, only the 40 Engine has 40 on the top.

Regards Anders
thanks for your detailed info Anders

Back