Opinions needed for boat build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy Scott

Looking for a boat to take out to the lake. The water there can get fairly choppy. What has currently caught my eye is the 64" fountain by bonzi. The 84" is out of my proposed budget. Does anyone else here have experience with these hulls or any others on choppy water?

Was thinking about ordering the hull rigged minus the engine. For that, I was looking at the gizmo 30 plus j&g pro mod with the billet case and their exhaust. From my research, this seems to be better than the bonzi bzx4 setup.

My last contemplation are the adjustable trim tabs from arrowshark. Has anyone used these or know anyone that has? Bonzi seems to think they are a gadget and won't hold up. Due to the drastic changes in the water at the lake, it would be very convenient if they did.

My only other thought is a splitter and running dual props to counter the effects of a single prop on the hull, but that is not a huge deal and not so sure I want to lose the power a splitter would rob.

Top speed is not a huge concern but 50's plus would be ideal. We can't run it wide open all the time, but when the lake is smooth, the speed will be used.

i would say that a 64'' hull would be good for the choppy water, just have to know when to get your finger out of the trigger, if you hit a boat wake almost any size rc boat will have some issues. bonzi makes some good hulls as far as quality goes, havnt really heard any bad words on them. as far as the motor goes i would recommend a big block zenoah from roger payne, i have a few of his motors and really good performance and tech support, a j&g pro mod and a billet case might be more $ than a roger motor. havnt seen the tabs from arrow shark, my guess is that they are servo adjustable, maybe kinda neat but really usefull?. the splitter idea sounds interesting but to me sounds like more to break, get the right prop from bob austin and if setup is right you shouldnt have any torque roll. with a good big block and the right prop i would think 50ish is not out of the question. i know a guy named matt who goes by just add watta and he is the authority on large gas hulls, pm him and he would have some tips for you. good luck

wow!, me personally, for 248$ i would spend that money on props. get a good size regular trim tabs, to be honest you probably wont adjust them much once you get them dialed in

Those are cool,, but to me they would be just another thing to keep up with for maintenance.

I guess if you are into large offshore type boats, it might be cool to have bashing waves and such...as water conditions change.

For most racing, trim tabs are kind of a set and forget kinda thing....

Back