open hydro?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T.S.Davis

Guys, what kind of speeds are you seeing in open hydro? I don't mean time trials. Just oval heat boats.

Guys, what kind of speeds are you seeing in open hydro? I don't mean time trials. Just oval heat boats.
we have run 93 with a 67. most common would be mid to upper 80's or low 90's for a heat boat. straightaway up to 125

Thanks Steve. That's what I wanted to know. How big is that usually?

I'm trying to relate it to FE. I don't have anything in that range right now but I can see me building something like that in the future. I might be able to get low 80's with what I have but that's a pretty big might and the boat is too small I think.

Thanks Steve. That's what I wanted to know. How big is that usually?
I'm trying to relate it to FE. I don't have anything in that range right now but I can see me building something like that in the future. I might be able to get low 80's with what I have but that's a pretty big might and the boat is too small I think.

Terry,

Pick Steve's brain. He has one. It needs to be big to handle the added weight. 14lbs RTR.

I am running a 2215 and seeing speeds in the 70's. Steve is seeing 80's with a 3060.

Also you need a big controller and you must 2P the set-up. Big boats big speed big dollars.

(It needs to be big to handle the chop by the other boats.)

Find Steve Reesor. He was working on a true 80+ mph heat racing FE boat. heres the link. Ryon Shaw

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy that is ballistic, :blink: love to know a bit more about that hull and setup

thanks

Graham

Boy that is ballistic, :blink: love to know a bit more about that hull and setup thanks

Graham
I would say it looks like a roadrunner design that he built, I have seen pics of this boat closeup. Think about it, we could run electric brushless boats at a pond or lake without a noise issue. And still have fun going 80+ around the lake, you cannot beat that. :D

Boy that is ballistic, :blink: love to know a bit more about that hull and setup thanks

Graham
I would say it looks like a roadrunner design that he built, I have seen pics of this boat closeup. Think about it, we could run electric brushless boats at a pond or lake without a noise issue. And still have fun going 80+ around the lake, you cannot beat that. :D
It is his own design. Thing runs great and he is a consummate craftsman.

Steve's boat is not a Roadrunner. I saw this rocket run last year. The hi-perf brushless setups have that very distinctive whine to them. The FE rigs were really impressive.

Bill

Steve's boat is not a Roadrunner. I saw this rocket run last year. The hi-perf brushless setups have that very distinctive whine to them. The FE rigs were really impressive.
Bill
Hi Bill

I see you have a 45 and a 67 rigger, how does this one compare in size? larger or smaller?

One of the problems I am having is working out a suitable size that will let me get all the batterys and controllers into a rigger hull

any one know what motor is in it ???

cheers

Graham

Bill

Bill
Hi Bill

I see you have a 45 and a 67 rigger, how does this one compare in size? larger or smaller?

One of the problems I am having is working out a suitable size that will let me get all the batterys and controllers into a rigger hull

any one know what motor is in it ???

cheers

Graham
The hull is definitely larger than a 67 boat (longer tub). I don't want to guess at the tub width but is was in proportion. Really a good looking boat with the custom hatch / cowl giving him added height in the tub. Sorry I don't have more info but it was a year ago.

Bill

I am in the middle of building a FE rigger using the kep's freebie plans. So far the only mods to plans were to make the tub 1/8" taller and 1/8" wider to fit the lipo pacs and a 6XL motor. I have also moved the bulk heads to make separate chambers for receiver and motor.

The set up will handle a combination of up to 3 pacs in various combinations . I have 2 cell and 3 cell 10000mah pacs. I can run 4,5,6 and 7 cell combinations.

The speed controller is rated for 200amp and 7 cells and the motor is rated 2790 KV, 120 amp 500000rpm they are both water cooled.

the 4 batt,speed controller ,motor and charger coast about $450 all from China will see if they hold up. But at that price you cant really lose and the coast is no more than a good nitro eng with out the on going coast of fuel and plugs.

E4_Rigger_Build_003.jpgE4_Rigger_Build_046.jpgE4_Rigger_Build_141.jpg

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen.

The boat in the video is 45" long; 4" inside tub width.

I designed the boat specifically to carry 10S2P LiPo payload. This required a change in the design for a FE hull. The LiPo's I used were FlightPower 30C 4500's (mAh) packs. 2-4S packs, and 2-6S packs. I chose these cells as I can use them in my 4S boats (both mono's and riggers); the same for the 6S packs. This is necessary because of the high cost of LiPo cells.

I then layed everything out on my dining room table and put pencil to paper and designed the tub to fit the components. I like an even weight distribution along the length of the hull which enables it to come out of the water and "fly" parallel before re-entry :D

So I placed the 4S packs between the sponson booms, the 6S packs behind the rear boom, and then located the motor behind that. From the motor coupler to the transom was dictated by the cable geometry I wanted and the ride height (almost 1"). The tub top profile was then designed to accommodate the components. The bubble for the canopy was designed to fit a variety of speed controllers, which sits on top of the 6S packs.

The boat weighs in at 16.5 lbs AUW. To carry this weight, the tub sides are 3/16" ply. Bulkheads are all 1/4" ply pinned.

Hardware is a mix Speedmaster, H&M, CMDi, and the turn fin is from 1/8" 7075 aluminum which I shaped and tapered, and hammered around an anvil (Thanks Olly).

The sponsons "are" RoadRunner inspired...I just think they looked cool! They are however, constructed differently. They are wood over foam, but the technique for building them I learned from Jason Boyd and Terry Keeley. I built this boat as if it were a nitro boat. In the past FE riggers were built of balsa and ply, no rear sponsons, too light to last carrying this weight and power. I wanted it to be able to take a serious bouy hit without disintegrating at high speeds. It wasn't until I began going to District races and seeing what worked, how they were built, the hardware, the drivelines etc that I realized how much went into a large fast rigger.

The advise was freely given, and I have gained valueable friendships with some great people in District 1 & 2.

The sponson geometry was designed for a wider boom spacing, and to get the rear of the sponsons to where I felt they needed to be. They are fully adjustable.

The motor I chose was a Lehner 3040/10T and the Esc is a Schulze 40.160WK; A more reliable motor for it is a Lehner 3060/8T...runs cooler. Prop is an ABC 60x80 cut dowm to 76mm and de-tongued.

Thanks for sharing that info ,there is more information in that post than i have been able to find anywhere.

now back to the drawing board.

Graham

I've seen Steve run the beast on more than one occasion. Someday I'm going there. I study his boat every time I see it.

Right now I'm building a P rigger. 4s2p at 8800 mah. I blame Steve. haha It's all scratch built. My design. I'm almost done with it. We were invited to run some open hydro. I thought maybe I could get there with the P rigger but I don't think it's enough speed or enough hull for the likely conditions. Even if I pushed it out to 80 it's still only 34". Turns out it doesn't matter because I can't make it to the race we were invited to anyway. Family gig the same weekend.

Feel free to PM me anytime with any questions, comments or observations. I am a student of outriggers myself and have learned many techniques through IW and its contributors.

One other word on 2P designs. Make sure the tub width (inside dimensions) can handle the LiPo cell of your choice (side by side) with an isolator in between the cells.

I use 1/16th ply sealed with epoxy to keep the adjacent cells from touching.

Good luck with your build.

Thanks for sharing that info ,there is more information in that post than i have been able to find anywhere.now back to the drawing board.

Graham

Back