Older outrigger setup questions

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevegross

Supporting Member
im trying to get an older outrigger going again that’s been sitting for 20 years. Can someone give me a starting point for the pipe length with a picco .90? Also it currently has a octura x482 on it. Seems like that might not be the best one. Any others I should try? Not sure if any other info is needed to answer these questions. Thanks in advance. Steve

64A56CCD-03D7-4BDA-8256-FBD7C52CAF3E.jpeg

interesting looking hull, sort of Coyote-like? Unique rear-end design. I would imagine the pipe-length was previously set when last run? Was this your boat? Or someone elses?

You may want to pull engine out and check it

Try a 1667 for a prop. X482 sounds like an odd choice, too much diameter and not enough pitch, unless it was cut down and pitched up.

Tub looks like an Avenger but the outboard sponson looks narrow and the inboard has the turn fin in the middle instead of on the inside. Could be someones idea of a better design.

Brad

The sponsons remaind me the Hawk.Pipe lenght 13" to start and 1667 will give you some clues to how to improve performance.Gill

Thanks guys for the help. The boat was scratch built by my dad based off of the Dumas hawk. We haven’t run it in 20 years or so. I just went through it all and got it ready to go. Test ran the engine and it fired right up. Somehow we lost all of our props and can’t remember what we used. I ordered a 1967 based on a prop chart I found but it may be a bit aggressive based on your suggestions. Pipe is at 13 1/2” currently so I’ll shorten it up a bit. hoping to run it this weekend and bring back some old memories.

Steve,

I would try an ABC 2717 or 2719 and adjust the strut a little deeper.
Even though the boat is old you can still run a current newly designed
propeller on that boat. I am sure you ran 1667’s pitched up back in the
day. Now with more choices of propellers from ABC you can change pitch
ratios, rake angles, blade areas, and diameters real easy. If you need more
pitch or diameter step up to the 2817 or 2819. It is nice that you are getting
back out on the water with an old school set up.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

Steve, dick Jones here, If U want your boat to go fast and be, competitive, in heat racing, I would look for a S&B-H667 PROP, set the prop height @ 1/4 inch above the rear sponsions,. starting with the strut angle @ 1 DEGREE down angle, and the pipe length @11 inches long, measured from the Glow plug, to the center of the pipe cone,, and then hang on !!!!!!!!!.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Good luck

Steve,

I believe I have the Octura H-667 that Dick is talking about.
I think you will like that set up.

Thanks For The Message,

Mark Sholund

I would run the 482 oct prop on it. Check the with of the prop and see if it has been cut down. stock Dia is 3.22inches or 82 mm .you could start with a H-31 .90 hydro low lift prop and go up to a H-50 ABC and if the pipe is set long 13"or longer from center of cylinder to center of pipe that gives you a great band with of tork

Steve,

I have quite a few H-31’s if you want to try that one as well?

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Steve,

I would try the smaller one the H-667 first.
The H-31 is just a little bit bigger in diameter and you may need to
adjust your strut depth a little bit with either one.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

Back