Okay History info! what year and first R/C boat!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too, MRP 21 tunnel 1989 I think. Aeromarine sprint cat was next, then riggers RR, Mongoose, Cobra in all sizes. What a trip, good times.
Then dabbled in Wild Thing Monos. My trip to the dark size (Gas) Local Union 6 HO 8, drunk and late. 🤣

Attachments

• 12508-f278747e5b0ac12dcba999bed48bfe7d.jpg
    12508-f278747e5b0ac12dcba999bed48bfe7d.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 15052-f130242b399b087e4d4bca15bba89e2b.jpg
    15052-f130242b399b087e4d4bca15bba89e2b.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 22
No pics to show...but in 1975 my very first boat was the Dumas Drag-N-Fly 40...never made it to water...and knew nothing about hydroplanes...but it had some of the smoothest rounded running surfaces you could ever ask for...the directions weren't very clear about that....I'm a airplane guy.......Hahahaha

thumbnail (5).jpgthumbnail (6).jpgthumbnail (7).jpg
My first boat was an OB Mono circa 1978? (note heavy flywheel that kept it running after spinning out)
Was a couple years before the tunnels came in.
Mic

Here's a couple for Twin Cities Model Boat Clubbers
thumbnail (8).jpg
thumbnail (9).jpg
Race at Pigs Eye lake South St Paul 1980?
L to R
Mic - Don ?- CJ VanVorhis (Van) Dee Panchott ? (Duluth) - Mark Wirtanen (Eveleth Hibbing?) Joe Penaz and I can't remember the guy on the right end but he was a good guy and racer.
Mic

WOW! All the different hulls that every one started out with and how long ago many of us started in this great hobby! For me this has been a FASCINATING read so far!!! I love the old pictures! I hope there is more to come!!

Collection of my first RC boats from the 1960s. Radio was a Kraft 6 Channel reed with World engine kit servo"s . The Wave Master had a ED Sea Otter 3.5 Diesel engine. The Thriftway had a Super tiger 56 and the Quickie had a McCoy 60 and also a Rossi 60 which was I believe the first Schnurle ported engine. In those early days I was a member of club in Nassau County on Long Island NY and also a junior member of the IMPBA. Most weekends were fun runs, no heat racing that I recall. I did get to meet ED Kalfus at a Place called Richie's Hobby Town in New Jersy where I saw his Tether boat Blitz run at 114 mph. Ed also used to fly down to Long Island from Poukeepsi NY and run his home built White Heat 4-60. At that time ED was using a proportional radio that he built himself. Those were great times for me, my RC boating career was interrupted by the Vietnam War and a 26 year career in the USAF.DSC_0197.JPG

Last edited:
Collection of my first RC boats from the 1960s. Radio was a Kraft 6 Channel reed with World engine kit servo"s . The Wave Master had a ED Sea Otter 3.5 Diesel engine. The Thriftway had a Super tiger 56 and the Quickie had a McCoy 60 and also a Rossi 60 which was I believe the first Schnurle ported engine. In those early days I was a member of club in Nassau County on Long Island NY and also a junior member of the IMPBA. Most weekends were fun runs, no heat racing that I recall. I did get to meet ED Kalfus at a Place called Richie's Hobby Town in New Jersy where I saw his Tether boat Blitz run at 114 mph. Ed also used to fly down to Long Island from Poukeepsi NY and run his home built White Heat 4-60. At that time ED was using a proportional radio that he built himself. Those were great times for me, my RC boating career was interrupted by the Vietnam War and a 26 year career in the USAF.View attachment 303480
Great story Tim! Great pictures! Thank you for your service to our country!

1973 miss unlimited with a OS 60 ringed air plane motor with a cool clamp on it for water cooling. No pipe. Just open side exhaust! Let me tell you it will wake you up in the morning! Futaba 2 channel stick radio with S7 non water proof servos.
Water proof radio gear was not popular at this point. In fact the radio compartment did not have a lid other than the drivers seat cowling.
If I remember correctly some time later we started using AFX converted throttle handles with steering wheels on the radios.
Sorry that I no longer have a pic as it was destroyed years later in a heat race but a stock pick will give you an idea. I think at the time this was considered the scale hydro class but the boat is only 36" long.
Ive still got that kit!!

My first R/C boat was a DragonFly 40. 1977. I still have it and it still runs. Original HP 40 w/Kool Clamp rear rotor side exhaust and home made hardware. The radio I used was a Cox/Sanwa on and airplane frequency. Video link below. I had posted it here a couple years ago as well.

I had a Dumas 0.049 Thriftway Too, and a SK Daddle Jr that were not R/C.

My first "R/C Race Boat". Crapshooter 40, with an OPS 40. First race I went to was in Saginaw, MI at the waterworks plant. I believe around 1979.

If you'll notice the fuel tank....it obviously wasn't big enough. I was leading all three of the heats that day and ran out of gas each time!!! What was funny was after the first heat we delayed starting and launching the next 2 heats to see if it would make it to the end. Closest I got to a finish was about a half a lap short in the 3rd heat. LOL

PXL_20210902_143956638.jpgPXL_20210902_144035012.jpgPXL_20210902_144046390.jpg

My first R/C boat was a DragonFly 40. 1977. I still have it and it still runs. Original HP 40 w/Kool Clamp rear rotor side exhaust and home made hardware. The radio I used was a Cox/Sanwa on and airplane frequency. Video link below. I had posted it here a couple years ago as well.

My first "R/C Race Boat". Crapshooter 40, with an OPS 40. First race I went to was in Saginaw, MI at the waterworks plant. I believe around 1979.

If you'll notice the fuel tank....it obviously wasn't big enough. I was leading all three of the heats that day and ran out of gas each time!!! What was funny was after the first heat we delayed starting and launching the next 2 heats to see if it would make it to the end. Closest I got to a finish was about a half a lap short in the 3rd heat. LOL

View attachment 303514View attachment 303515View attachment 303516

Hey Blair! Thanks so much for posting! That 40 Dragon fly video is AWESOME, as re the rigger pics! Great memories man!

I grew up in New Jersey on the Toms River and Barnegat Bay, so boating was very big in my life. It didnt take much for me to get the RC boating bug. My first boat , in 1962, was a scatchbuilt garvey about 24" long with a Cox 049 and the crude hardware of the day. Cant remember the Mfg but it was available at the local hobby shop. No radio, just start it up and throw it in the lagoon. It stopped when it hit the bank. Then I built a Skadaddle with an Enya 19. It had a Bonner Digimite radio, servos weighed about a pound each. It was a disaster. One day at the hobby shop, there was a beautiful White heat 5 or 10, I cant remember. With an OS radio rtr. I paid $200 for it in 1968 or so. About 2 weeks pay at the time. I had a lot of fun with it. I never raced with anyone because no one else had a boat. We were CL flyers. After moving to California in 1970, I meet Vern Schmidt and we started racing. the SK20 and my 36" deep vee are in 2 of the photos. I was working for a sailboat company at the time so I learned a lot about FG and building molds. The DV was my first scratch built FG project. It was to be my version of a Donzi, and it ran well. Ran it at Legg Lake Record trials with a Veco 61, open exhaust. I think it clocked 21 mph, Later on, I got the real Donzi.

Attachments

• 21A1DDD8-6C17-4693-945A-A4615A90ADB4.jpeg
    21A1DDD8-6C17-4693-945A-A4615A90ADB4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
  • BBC8DE11-F7FF-4D50-98FF-455A8AB02171.jpeg
    BBC8DE11-F7FF-4D50-98FF-455A8AB02171.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 37

View attachment 303514View attachment 303515View attachment 303516

I think I probably built that boat and sold it to you.........

1980 Dumas Pay n Pak, hooked........................

Attachments

• Dumas Sport 20 (2).jpg
    Dumas Sport 20 (2).jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Sport 40 81 PNP (1).jpg
    Sport 40 81 PNP (1).jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Sport 40 Atlas.jpg
    Sport 40 Atlas.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Sport 40 Bardahl (3).jpg
    Sport 40 Bardahl (3).jpg