OK...getting back into racing after 27 years...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don donikowski

The radios have changed!
I have discarded all of my old Futaba parts and am trying to find a new tr/rcvr with a proportional 3rd channel. Not on-off but actually adjustable while driving but not from a menu screen.
A slider as the old 3 ch Futaba wheel unit had would be good but a twist knob is ok too.
I bought Sanwa mx-6 but 3rd channel is either on or off. Ok for a headlight but not for fuel adjusting while going 65mph. I'm resurrecting my 1991 Daytona x hydro.
As it's a nitro boat, 3rd channel needle is advantageous. I want to buy a new package. Any suggestions?
Thanx everyone,
Don

The radios have changed!
I have discarded all of my old Futaba parts and am trying to find a new tr/rcvr with a proportional 3rd channel. Not on-off but actually adjustable while driving but not from a menu screen.
A slider as the old 3 ch Futaba wheel unit had would be good but a twist knob is ok too.
I bought Sanwa mx-6 but 3rd channel is either on or off. Ok for a headlight but not for fuel adjusting while going 65mph. I'm resurrecting my 1991 Daytona x hydro.
As it's a nitro boat, 3rd channel needle is advantageous. I want to buy a new package. Any suggestions?
Thanx everyone,
Don
Don,
Call me as I may have the radio/receiver that you want a good 3rd channel adjustable,
Walt Barney
256-779-6472
Please make sure you have and I D in your phone as I get a lot of robo calls and do not answer, or leave me a message and I will call you back.

The radios have changed!
Thanx everyone,
Don

Spectrum and Sanwa have waterproof receivers if you want that. Futaba doesn't and has to be put in a box. Lots of waterproof servos out there now.

It's nice to have a radio that you can use the third channel switch in front of the wheel to bump it up and down by yourself (I use my ring finger on my right hand) instead a using a rotary switch that your co-driver has to move. I remember which way I'm going by setting needle up to Richen Up by actuating the button up and Lean Down by moving it down. On my Futabas you can also set up the amount of servo throw for each click.

Don I just got back into racing after 26 years back then I had a futaba magnum jr I thought was nice now I have a futaba 4px man is that a nice unit radios have come a long way Jeff
The boats are pretty much the same but I discarded all of my old Futaba radio gear.
Now, I bought a Futaba 4PM and new all else to go with it. The concept of 30yr old plastic servo parts scares my X hydro!
After that long all metal parts are sort of frozen in time and wd 40 is mandatory. Probably should add it to my coffee.
We'll have fun though!
Don

Don, Congrats on coming back to boating. The 4PM is a fine choice. Please note.. Futabas manual asks you to please us Futaba brand servos and accessories. Its good advise.. if "if" you decide not to use Futaba brand servos and accessories.. please read the specs on the items you choose just to be save.

ENJOY!

Grim

Don, Congrats on coming back to boating. The 4PM is a fine choice. Please note.. Futabas manual asks you to please us Futaba brand servos and accessories. Its good advise.. if "if" you decide not to use Futaba brand servos and accessories.. please read the specs on the items you choose just to be save.

ENJOY!

Grim
Nice to meet you Mike. Thanks for endorsement. The servos I have are all Pro Modeler DS models. All new. I have no idea if they and Futaba are compatible.
Honestly I thought of servos as generic in that sense. Of course I incurred that opinion many years ago and didn't even consider it. I guess I'll see soon.
They are just little motors which run off of battery power, so they sb fine. I'm more concerned about the rust I may have! X Hydro ain't for wimps. A Mono is. But... both boats were good record holders when I quit to start new family. X record-NAMBA was 58.59 seconds 9/10th and A was 83.82 seconds also 9/10ths.

Don.. servos have changed.. the driving force behind the changes were gyros and the speeds they process at.. Futaba has led the way in servo speed regarding this.. so.. how does this effect our boats. (though RC Cars)... Other MFGs are trying to keep up with the servos speeds and processing power that Futaba servos (the newest High zoot stuff). The HPS 700s are NUTTY!..LOL..no we dont need those in our boats... I do have them in some of my Helicopters however! "UN BELIEVABLE!"

Anyway.. its just worth the conversation and.. if you get the chance.. take a quick peek at the specs for the servos you are choosing. I have seen some "I shall not name names" that state "not compatible with some Futaba systems"

Good news.. for the most part you are dead on.. so no worries.. a small " Specs check" as you purchase your servos is just a good idea..

Have fun!

Grim

I guess the bottom line for me is there's places you can economize but for me the radio gear isn't the place to do it. I've seen too many boats absolutely destroyed over radio gear failures and it happens in the blink of an eye.

I guess the bottom line for me is there's places you can economize but for me the radio gear isn't the place to do it. I've seen too many boats absolutely destroyed over radio gear failures and it happens in the blink of an eye.
Precisely. That's why I have a box of old radio gear to give away at our lake. I haven't found any places to economize tho. Shopping all over country for the bits and pieces I need. No one has everything. I'm replacing most screws, pushrods, servo arms etc so it looks prettier and has higher reliability, I wouldn't be happy if I used old radio and ran boat into shore/island.. Was a heck of an X hydro in 1992. Same w A mono then. Maybe again!

nice to see you here Don, Been a long time (like 1989). Are you running in District 19 ?
David...it IS you! I thought I recognized your name but a lot of time has gone by and I figured we all forgot one another.
I am going to run in 19 as I live in Riverside now. I'm bringing my X hydro up to date along with my A mono. X I'll race, A is for fun although it screams.
I took all that time off when I got remarried and didn't want to leave my wife at home when I was having fun. She didn't wish to participate in the hobby.
Then we had 2 boys and...here I am. They are grown up and I'm grown down.
Good to hear from you. What's up in your world? Still in 19 and racing?
Don

Last edited:
David...it IS you! I thought I recognized your name but a lot of time has gone by and I figured we all forgot one another.
I am going to run in 19 as I live in Riverside now. I'm bringing my X hydro up to date along with my A mono. X I'll race, A is for fun although it screams.
I took all that time off when I got remarried and didn't want to leave my wife at home when I was having fun. She didn't wish to participate in the hobby.
Then we had 2 boys and...here I am. They are grown up and I'm grown down.
Good to hear from you. What's up in your world? Still in 19 and racing?
Don
yes, it is me :>)

I've been slowly getting back to running my boats (with a little more physical difficulty). I have'nt actually run yet, but very soon. Still in Pasadena area, I mostly run at Legg Lake (when I do run). But hope to eventually attend a few of the District 19 races this coming 2021 season (pending COVID19).

Looks like the local District 19 folks are primarily racing GAS classes, very little nitro. But I still have my nitro boats from 1980's, also several new un-built kits, and a few gas (petrol) kits.

Contact Don Maher on here, he can give you the detail on the local seen:
https://www.intlwaters.com/members/don-maher.1968/
Also, Rey Garcia (on FaceBook):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/891...797367427187&notif_t=group_activity&ref=notif

The boats are pretty much the same but I discarded all of my old Futaba radio gear.
Now, I bought a Futaba 4PM and new all else to go with it. The concept of 30yr old plastic servo parts scares my X hydro!
After that long all metal parts are sort of frozen in time and wd 40 is mandatory. Probably should add it to my coffee.
We'll have fun though!
Don
The boats have actually changed a lot. Different angles,widths, lengths, etc. One big difference is the tail moment (distance from front sponsons ride pads to the prop) are much longer. Your X size Daytona is about the length of most 40 hydros today. I ran Daytona’s myself years ago. Congrats on making a come back. A Cmb 80 would be a good choice of power for your Daytona. Jeff Lutz

Welcome back Don, its a great hobby...and best part is meeting up with friends at races, getting new ideas along the way!!

Hi Jeff, you're right about Daytona being a long boat. Mine was outrageous with good Picco 80. Has Rossi drum bushed by RPM and Rossi 3rd channel carb.
I got Namba record in June '92 at 58.59 seconds during a race. I wouldn't mind a CMB engine but I still have an OPS 80, OPS 67 both new and enuff parts to build another Picco 80. Prop and setup are the most important elements. The boat is easy to run and turns on a single bouy. Unfortunately most turns have 3 bouys! Legg Lake is my pond, District 19. Regards, Don

Greeting
Welcome back Don, its a great hobby...and best part is meeting up with friends at races, getting new ideas along the way!!
Hi Alan,
Absolutely! Some of my best times were at the lake or races. Many friends, and some ghosts but the friendly nature of the hobby is exceptional.
I'm looking forward to all of it...now that my kids have grown up! New ideas for old dogs? I hope so! Glad to be back.
Regardz,
Don

Rey Garcia & Don Maher are putting on a fun challenge race at Lake Ming, Bakersfield CA, late October

Attachments

• NAMBA_RCSharks_TheChallenge-Banner_Oct2020.jpg
    NAMBA_RCSharks_TheChallenge-Banner_Oct2020.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 13
Back