Odonnell #9 & #89 Plug Test

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe,

Take notes of your fuel usage as well. We found quite a large differance between the plugs you are testing.

Grim
Going back Saturday to test & Break in some New 2011 Flat top RS101`s in a Twin. Sure would like some more #89`s NO ONE Here has them........

Anyone that has some NEW ODONNELL 89`s. I will trade you NEW McCoy 9 for them????? I need a few more to complete my test........

hey joe you going to be at jackson ?? i have to test some boats also let me know ill meet you there..

julian

Brain,

To the best of my knowledge the Blue plug has the some hole dia and wire as the OD-9 but lacks the wafer seal in under the seal washer. (the blue uses aluminum and the OD-9 brass)

The OD-9 is a real gem! My favorite for sure.

Grim
Both use the same seal.
Jack.. one is aluminum and one is brass... or am I looking at that wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Grim

Brain,

To the best of my knowledge the Blue plug has the some hole dia and wire as the OD-9 but lacks the wafer seal in under the seal washer. (the blue uses aluminum and the OD-9 brass)

Grim
Both use the same seal.
Jack That's right thanks info I will run test my riggers for OD89 and OD99 in May

Jack...what is the difference in the Blue Sport plug and #9?
Will,

I know that the bore size the the plug body is different and I'm almost sure that the wire is different.

Buck

Thanks. I always had good luck running the Blue's in my K&B 67's. Got a good deal on a card of the 99's thats why ive been running them...and they've been doing quite well in dragmodded Hyper 21's on 30% turning 40,000-41,000 :)

Jack...what is the difference in the Blue Sport plug and #9?
Will,

I know that the bore size the the plug body is different and I'm almost sure that the wire is different.

Buck

Thanks. I always had good luck running the Blue's in my K&B 67's. Got a good deal on a card of the 99's thats why ive been running them...and they've been doing quite well in dragmodded Hyper 21's on 30% turning 40,000-41,000 :)
Will,

I'm sorry but I was mistaken. I just re-measured a Blue Sport plug and an OD9 and they are indeed the same bore size. The bore depth is measurably different between the two but due to the wire weld at the bottom of the bore I can't accurately say by how much.

The Blue Sport plugs are a good plug and will work well in your K&B.

Buckshot

Last edited by a moderator:
Brain,

Grim
Both use the same seal.
Jack.. one is aluminum and one is brass... or am I looking at that wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Grim
Hi Mike, They are both aluminum.The brass you are seeing is just the color. J.ODonnell

Please take a very close look at that for me Jack.

Unless they changed we had the anodized alum washer (first orange and then yellow) replaced with a brass one...

Anywho.. to me the OD-9 is the best boat plug I have ever used..

Take care

Grimracer

Unless they changed we had the anodized alum washer (first orange and then yellow) replaced with a brass one...

Take care

Grimracer Mike; You are right about the top washer on the OD-9 being brass.The original question was about the difference between the sport blue and the OD-9,as they both use the same seal,my brain fade on the top washer.We have used different colored alum. top washers in both plugs for in house testing.Anyway you are right and i was wrong. J.ODonnell

Jack when will Tower recieve there OD-9's? I see mine are still on back order. And will the reds be avalible again some day? Tower has them as discontinued. They work great in my little .12 Nova's

Sorry for the highjacking of the thread guy's.

Thank you,

Mark

Tower has the OD# 9 and OD# 89 marked as TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE. I emailed customer service at Odonnell. The reply I got was they are unavailable and may be discontinued. I hope not!!! :eek:

Tim

Tower has the OD# 9 and OD# 89 marked as TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE. I emailed customer service at Odonnell. The reply I got was they are unavailable and may be discontinued. I hope not!!! :eek:

Tim
Been waiting as well. I sure hope they DO NOT discontinue the 89's. Best plug ever!!!

Take care

Grimracer Mike; You are right about the top washer on the OD-9 being brass.The original question was about the difference between the sport blue and the OD-9,as they both use the same seal,my brain fade on the top washer.We have used different colored alum. top washers in both plugs for in house testing.Anyway you are right and i was wrong. J.ODonnell

Thanks Jack.. I was not calling you out.. I rather though I was loosing my MIND!..

As Robin says.. getting old ant for sissys!.and MAN DONT I KNOW IT. LOL

Take care

Mike Z

Take care

Thanks Jack.. I was not calling you out.. I rather though I was loosing my MIND!..

As Robin says.. getting old ant for sissys!.and MAN DONT I KNOW IT. LOL

Take care

Mike Z
sad but true, grimmy......

Tim
Been waiting as well. I sure hope they DO NOT discontinue the 89's. Best plug ever!!!
Tim; Who did you talk to at ODonnell customer service ? They aer NOT discontinued. J.ODonnell

Tim
Tim; Who did you talk to at ODonnell customer service ? They aer NOT discontinued. J.ODonnell
Jack,

Email sent.

Glad to hear they are not.

Tim

Today I went back to the lake to do a detailed test of the Odonnell Plugs. Most all Normally run MC9`s for High Nitro (cold plug). After Zooming around the lake for a few tanks & got to a fast Rich needle. I came in & took the McCoy 9 out & installed the Odonnell #9. Back on the water to test for speed & back again to compare. Each time I changed props 6.2 6.5 6.7 6.9 60% Nitro on 80/20 oil I went back to the Mccoy 1st then back to the Odonnell #9 & #89 Final Twin test on Roadrunner Twin with RS91`s fully modified, Andy Brown 1667 6.9 props. Also tested a Seaducer 47 Nitro Mono Modified RS101 with X470 7.5 T.E. same test each time I changed props examined the plug condition & changed the Brand. Neither of these test was a little buzzzzz around the pond. Both were with MAX Effort props & Short pipes for High prop speed & High Engine Load. 6 gallons blew thru today testing...... I was trying to find the limits of the OD #9 & #89..... From what I can see..... we will all be running Odonnell #9 or #89`s very very soon...... EXCELLENT PRODUCT! Looks like the #9 & #89`s have dried up @ Tower??? If you SERIOUS about Performance with Max Effort Props & Pipes This is the Glow plug you have been looking for...... If you can find the odonnell #9`s @ LHS you Better SNAP Them Up!!!! #89 are hard to find at most LHS.....
well to bad your now figuring that out man because odonnel isnt dried up at tower they discontinued them and i bought them out but yea 89 and a 99 odo non turbo is a sick plug and its beefier than a mc plug so they can take abuse hope you bought some stock from those guys

Lance, they are not discontinued. Tower is just not going to be a distributor for them anymore. The only ODonnell item they will be selling soon will be the fuel. I got this info today from a customer support Technician at Tower.

Tim

Latest posts

Back