Novice in need of Thunder Tiger advice

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They had like 3 gear ratios available, right ?
I bet with today's abundance of props to select from, along with different gear ratios you could really dial in a good combination...

Thats right they had [3] ratios.....I never got around to buying those gear sets.....I did find them in the UK......

Thank you Rod for your reply and offer. I got the complete boat at a very reasonable price and on reflection I think buying a spare engine as a replacement or for parts would be overcapitalising the boat. Buying another outboard engine (or two) for a possible new project is also not on the cards right now.

Thats right they had [3] ratios.....I never got around to buying those gear sets.....I did find them in the UK......
Thank you Rod for your reply and offer. I got the complete boat at a very reasonable price and on reflection I think buying a spare engine as a replacement or for parts would be overcapitalising the boat. Buying another outboard engine (or two) for a possible new project is also not on the cards right now.

Absolutely no problem......actually I should be thanking you.....I had completely forgot I had the [2] NIB motors squirreled away just sitting......They came out of the cabinet yesterday and I listed them in the For Sale section of the forum...

Last edited:
My head started to hurt reading all this. If I remember correctly the Thunder Tiger started the same direction as outboards. They were never the top performing motor but they run really smooth at idle and in the water. They make great sport running motors.
If I still ran boats and had this motor I would see if it started one direction & if it ran smooth enough I would throw it into the lake.
Then if it took off you started it right! If it died right away it iis probably running the wrong direction or running to lean. Then pay attention to needle settings by seeing if it stays running, or dies. If it dies part way through the run bring it back in with a tennis ball & fishing pole, If the glow plug is melting it is to lean. This just some novice advice passed on to me and my father more than 20 years ago.
The nitro motors can be tricky to keep running, compared to gas or FE!

Another statement, I wrote it down wrong about the direction I think they run. I think the Thunder Tiger runs the same direction as inboard nitro motors. The other point to make is they run better with smaller Octura props than say running a K&B outboard.

Back