Novarossi .12 carb

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edward Drock

Well I received my N/R .12 motor today and this is the carb it came with. I don't see a high needle on it is this set-up for a remote needle?

Thanks again for all your help.
20220322_081741.jpg20220322_081751.jpg20220322_081803.jpg

This carb is set up for a third channel needle. I might have one at home. I can check later today.
Mike

Thank You Mike
That's what I was thinking too. I don't want a third channel needle ( no room ) I'll have to go with a remote needle.

Thanks Ed

I wanted to save space/simplify setup on a Nova .12 with a needle mounted to the carb as well. I found an OS needle valve assembly that fits the bore/thread pattern of the fuel inlet on a Nova .12 carb. Works great with precise adjustments. Its meant for a small OS engine/carb, I just don't know which model? Here is a pic of my JAE 12 with a Nova .12 marine 5 port, factory Nova carb & that OS Needle for reference. I can find out what the part # is if your still looking for an option like this?
Brian Neumann A3C343B0-496C-438A-B51D-41B3841FA694.jpeg

Part # for complete needle valve assembly (housing, needle, o-ring, fuel nipple, & seals) shown at top of image. Part # for a replacement needle with o-ring shown at bottom of picture.

C0C1967C-6602-4EEB-A0E2-C20C7F6199B1.jpeg
I hope this helps!
Brian Neumann

Do you know what needle setting you used when braking in the NR motor? I have the same motor.

Thanks

When I began racing/running .12 Novas, I received great advice from local racers, asked questions & did a lot of research like you are. Buying/having access to a Flow meter and keeping a journal to document weather, engine set-up, carb, pipe, prop, fuel, etc. really helped me with the learning curve & frustration little engines can present. Wanted to pass that on to you, i don't know your experience so don't be offended if you already know these things. My needle settings are all based on my flow meter readings, not actual needle turns, so it's hard to say where you should start. I looked through my notes/flow meter #'s & would guess I was 2-3/4-3 full turns open on my needle. Try closing needle all the way & open it 3 full rotations to start with. Fire it up at half throttle and see how it runs. Is it slobbering rich & full throttle won't clear it out/increase the rpm's? Then your safe and can adjust it from there to keep it running. If it starts and revs up/has immediate throttle response & little to no fuel coming out of the pipe your too lean. Shut it off, richen needle and restart it. No water cooling is usually needed, fuel is coolant & provides enough lubrication when needle is rich enough to keep engine running at low-mid rpm with the carb 3/4-fully open & you see 180-200 temp range. Find a needle setting that lets engine build heat around 180-200 degrees at a low-mid rpm and run it in the boat on land for a several tanks. Then you can take it to the lake to continue & finish break-in. Biggest no no's are building engine heat by leaning engine, sudden rpm increases early on which can skid the bearings, and premature leaning of needle to "speed up break in." It takes a gallon or close to one before the engine loosens up, makes power, & is ready to tune for performance. For the next several gallons the engine will get faster/stronger and you will have a long lasting less fussy .12 engine! Sorry for the long winded post, I want you to have success & enjoy your JAE 12 like I continue to do!
Brian Neumann

Thanks again Brian for all that good information !!! Never too much information!! I have been out of nitro boats for some time now but when I was racing them I do remember the flow meter.

Thanks again I enjoyed reading your post.

I use a Boris Mazor flow meter. He passed away unfortunately, but they come up for sale on IW occasionally at good prices. He made them for years w/several variations, I purchased his newest version (Gen 4) just before he passed. Currently K&D Innovations is the only company I know of making flow meters, they are very nice & use a digital readout plus other add-ons. Plus many still use old school propane flow meters that work great, just slightly larger/need propane supply. A flow meter is invaluable (to me) for adjusting needle setting using previous flow numbers I've recorded after a good run. Able to race more consistently & know what to set my needle to based on weather conditions, location & boat set-up. Also found it helps find fuel leaks/bad needle o-rings (will see bubbles at needle if leaking.) Plus measuring/adjusting the flow for water cooling thats restricted to keep from over cooling engine especially on .12 & .21 riggers. Something to think about.
Brian Neumann

Back