Nova Rossi factory break in procedure.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s even more impressive in person!!! When I was at the factory a few years ago I hung out with them as they broke in a factory driver’s motors. It was much longer than that ( about an hour total over 3 runs) and I was remembering more rpm. When it was done, they put to driver’s pipe of choice on it and checked to make sure it got to a minimum rpm before they decided if it was good enough. Basically it was ready for the first heat when the driver took it out of the box!

GQ

There is an absolute ton of rpm in these motors.....all we RC boaters have to do is figure out how to turn it loose......lololol
To all you guys that modify and Dremel a motor to death......just listen to this video.....
If modifying the motor was a good idea ...all Nova would have to do is leave it in the CNC an extra 5 minutes....
Think about it.....Novarossi knows how to build a motor.....

It’s even more impressive in person!!! When I was at the factory a few years ago I hung out with them as they broke in a factory driver’s motors. It was much longer than that ( about an hour total over 3 runs) and I was remembering more rpm. When it was done, they put to driver’s pipe of choice on it and checked to make sure it got to a minimum rpm before they decided if it was good enough. Basically it was ready for the first heat when the driver took it out of the box!

GQ

That's what I'm hoping to do with the new run in stand I'm building this winter. Any idea what fuel mix they use during break in? To set the needle do they shoot for a certain head temp? Peak it out and back off 1000 revs? Any idea?

There is an absolute ton of rpm in these motors.....all we RC boaters have to do is figure out how to turn it loose......lololol
To all you guys that modify and Dremel a motor to death......just listen to this video.....
If modifying the motor was a good idea ...all Nova would have to do is leave it in the CNC an extra 5 minutes....

Bet you're heading in the right direction with your new project!

Bet you're heading in the right direction with your new project![/QUOTE]

Time will tell.....

Hey a Terry, I think they were using something like 20% nitro, 20% oil (castor of course!). Yes the set the needle with head temp.

Just something to think about....Nitro-methane as RC boat fuel has a shelf life on this earth....
I believe nitro is never going to go away totally but environmental pressure from the "save the planet" players is totally out of control....
I can remember when you could buy a gallon of 50% for less than $15.00 at your local hobby shop....
I realize that was a while ago and those days are gone forever , but , You can't even "ship" a gallon of 50% for $15.00 today....
Norway has a national law that no mixture of anything can contain more than 25% nitro in its formulation...
I probably will not live to see it but nitro is really on the endangered species list on this earth....
It would really benefit "nitro" RC boating in North America to learn how to go fast with lower nitro content fuels.....
Europe has done this and have been very successful doing this.....
This is just something to think about....

What do they use for load propellers?

At about 19:34 you can see the setup with the shroud moved, they're using a heavily cut down airplane prop (maybe wood?). I learned this the hard way years ago testing an OPS 67 to about 25K when the prop I was using let go at the hub. Put about an inch deep gouge in the pavement.

I'm gonna use Byron fans in my new run in stand, they have their own shield. :)

Wonder how they ended up at the 39.5K number?

At about 19:34 you can see the setup with the shroud moved, they're using a heavily cut down airplane prop (maybe wood?). I learned this the hard way years ago testing an OPS 67 to about 25K when the prop I was using let go at the hub. Put about an inch deep gouge in the pavement.

I'm gonna use Byron fans in my new run in stand, they have their own shield. :)

Wonder how they ended up at the 39.5K number?

That is a photo tach the tech is pointing through the shroud.....

I know ya'll are talking about the small engines but we switched to 25% nitro about three years ago in our heat racing 7.5cc Nova Rossi engines and when we told what nitro content we were running none of them believed us. I have never put anything but 25% in mine. Mike went up to 30% but the only reason he did is because he couldn't match my lap times. LOL
Its works! I will NEVER put high nitro in my 46 outboard. I have been running the same plug for about 2 gallons of fuel too.

I don’t think I’ll be taking your advice anytime soon.... I run a couple of Nova 46’s and it took some work to get them launching a rigger in all weather conditions and radar 10-15 mph faster than stock form. I do most of the work on my lathe and mill , but, a little bit with a dremel too.

John Ackerman had a break in stand that used some kind of special prop that Kavan out of Germany made. His stand used flex shafts that drove the prop and were at 90 degrees so you could run a pipe on the engine. I

I would argue that Novarossi really know how to get HP using the least amount of fuel possible (efficiency)...While these days a lot of new motors run great out of the box, a few tweaks really wakes them up...mainly Head volume and head clearance to suit 50% + nitro.

I know ya'll are talking about the small engines but we switched to 25% nitro about three years ago in our heat racing 7.5cc Nova Rossi engines and when we told what nitro content we were running none of them believed us. I have never put anything but 25% in mine. Mike went up to 30% but the only reason he did is because he couldn't match my lap times. LOL
Its works! I will NEVER put high nitro in my 46 outboard. I have been running the same plug for about 2 gallons of fuel too.

Is this stock motors and no mods? Maybe just head clearance set/lowered? If so, that makes a lot of sense from what I understand about the head volumes and timings on that motor.

I don’t think I’ll be taking your advice anytime soon.... I run a couple of Nova 46’s and it took some work to get them launching a rigger in all weather conditions and radar 10-15 mph faster than stock form. I do most of the work on my lathe and mill , but, a little bit with a dremel too.

be careful, you will get slaughtered for talking about them like that lol

Do whatever you like .......I am happy for you that you have been successful with your approach to RC nitro boating....
All I said is there is RPM in a "stock" motor we have never touched.....
I am sure Novarossi loves your approach to motor and set-up tuning.....they make new parts every day....

Back