Nova Rossi factory break in procedure.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"more rpm less torque or more torque, less rpm. Nova puts you at the midpoint of both,"

There is also the more RPM, more Torque approach. It equates to MORE HP. I prefer to use that program.

LOL. That too Andy. Not much sleeve left with that application LOL You’re one of the few that know how to do that but in my experience consistency goes out the door.

I run the Nova Rossi 21 DD and I run it stock with only head clearance changed.
I sometimes change the carb just to test which ones run the best on the water.
The pipe is also a huge part of the engine running well with our application.

Spot on Marty, and anyone that saw your 20 mono run in Charleston knows you’ve got some fast stuff !!

Great video to post Terry. Thank you for sharing it with everyone. Its incredible to watch how they do this in the factory. The out of box performance for the average boater Nova achieves is second to none. Jeff Lutz is also correct, those with the knowledge and means can get even more out of their engines if looking for certain areas of improvement, more rpm less torque or more torque, less rpm. Nova puts you at the midpoint of both, and to Carl’s point, gives you more time with setup and in his case, one of the fastest heat racing outboards around. Great conversations guys.
Ron, It’s great that Nova has responded well with any issues that you had early on and they have made them great reliable engines. Your a good business man and it shows you have stayed on top of things. The Nova 46 I’ve experimented with the most is 3 years old and numerous races on it with no failures what so ever, that does deserve a shout out. Thanks for a awesome 15% Christmas sale ! Jeff

Doing good thanks, hope ya'll are too!

But wouldn't a light weight, smooth running hydro be similar? In other words absorb a bunch of HP to get up on plane and up to speed then need very little to go faster from there?

Terry, Think about it. A light weight hydro will launch and get on plane at half throttle or half power. Does it then begin going faster and faster at that same power level? Boats do not require 100% of the engine's power to get on plane. They struggle to get on plane because the engine is only operating at a partial power level. Even if 100% throttle is applied.
Think about the jet you fly. You use full power for take off because of limited runway length. Then you throttle back to 60%? for cruising speed. If you maintained full power after take off the plane would go to maximum speed. But if you had a very long runway, 10 miles?, you could take off with only 60% power. The plane would eventually get off the ground and continue accelerating until it "hits the wall" which is cruise speed. To go faster would require advancing the power to 70%. To go max speed will require 100% power. 100% thrust.

Road race cars require maximum power to be geared to the speed where maximum acceleration is needed. That would be coming off of corners. On long straights where acceleration fades to a low level, low power over-rev can be used to gain more speed because the dynamic drag force is a little less the the acceleration force was coming out of a corner.
Under some conditions boats can benefit from low power over-rev, but it is very minimal and most often not at all.
Hydrodynamic drag increases at a much greater rate than aerodynamic drag.

LOL. That too Andy. Not much sleeve left with that application LOL You’re one of the few that know how to do that but in my experience consistency goes out the door.

Donna Brown raced an original version Novarossi 21 in the early 1980s. She won many races with it. The bypass and crank ports were very small. I opened up (dremeled) the ports and it ran faster and Donna continued winning races, including the Orlando Winter Nats.
The engine was set up in very much the same way that engines are set up today. .340" bore carb, OPS 21 pipe, .008" head clearance, 50% nitro.

Since that first Nova 21 the Nova factory has increased the bypass and crank ports to larger and large sizes over the last 35 years.
"consistency goes out the door" ???

Let me preface this post with a couple of remarks....I am not trying to get anybody's panties in a knot....or comments on how you think it should be done.....This is just something to think about....
This was from Jorn Markset in Norway...He and his racing partner Kjell Noddeland are very successful boaters in Europe....Andy knows them well.....
Remember , This is just something to think about....

BTW, I saw the thread on Intlwater, about Novarossi break-in procedure. Very entertaining thread, I just had to find the popcorn lol lol
It seams that a lot of people forget that there is no manufacturer who produce engines ment for 50-60% nitro
If you use twice the amount of nitro than the engine is made for, well then of course changes might be needed. It is a hell of a big difference.
I just received a couple of engines from NovaRossi that were broken in at the factory. This is marine engines, but they are fully based on an on-road engine.
They are made for, and broken in, on 16% nitro. Now I bought the heads for 25% nitro as well, could need the extra torque in a boat.
The head volume for 16% nitro is 0,14 ml and for 25% nitro it is 0,24 ml. I was surprised it was that low for 16% nitro.
OS have the same head volume for 25% nitro as NovaRossi. This is for .21 engines.
Nova charges 40 euros for this service.....right at about $50.00

This is actually very funny, thru the years both me and Kjell Gunnar have been accused for tuning our engines a lot. The truth is they are bone stock...

Last edited:
Let me preface this post with a couple of remarks....I am not trying to get anybody's panties in a knot....or comments on how you think it should be done.....This is just something to think about....
This was from Jorn Markset in Norway...He and his racing partner Kjell Noddeland are very successful boaters in Europe....Andy knows them well.....
Remember , This is just something to think about....

BTW, I saw the thread on Intlwater, about Novarossi break-in procedure. Very entertaining thread, I just had to find the popcorn lol lol
It seams that a lot of people forget that there is no manufacturer who produce engines ment for 50-60% nitro
If you use twice the amount of nitro than the engine is made for, well then of course changes might be needed. It is a hell of a big difference.
I just received a couple of engines from NovaRossi that were broken in at the factory. This is marine engines, but they are fully based on an on-road engine.
They are made for, and broken in, on 16% nitro. Now I bought the heads for 25% nitro as well, could need the extra torque in a boat.
The head volume for 16% nitro is 0,14 ml and for 25% nitro it is 0,24 ml. I was surprised it was that low for 16% nitro.
OS have the same head volume for 25% nitro as NovaRossi. This is for .21 engines.
Nova charges 40 euros for this service.....right at about $50.00

This is actually very funny, thru the years both me and Kjell Gunnar have been accused for tuning our engines a lot. The truth is they are bone stock...

What I take from this thread is that some people like stock motors and some like tweaked motors. In the end I guess a lot of it is part of the mental game :)

Well tuned and setup stock motors in the right hands will always beat mod motors incorrectly setup and tuned in the wrong hands :)

I am surprised, since this is a "break in thread" the oil bath EBIS setups have not been touched on more. Both sides of the fence swear their way is best (ie old school or oil bath). I wonder what method guys like Martin T used recently in his fast passes?!?

What are mullet boots
Your boat runs like the wind when you have these on when you launch it. No modification or High nitro needed.
boots-white_grande1_4b5c893f-394e-4017-ac1e-cc4363efb205_large.jpg

Doing good thanks, hope ya'll are too!

But wouldn't a light weight, smooth running hydro be similar? In other words absorb a bunch of HP to get up on plane and up to speed then need very little to go faster from there?
To a point, that would be the case. Until a hydro gets up on plane, it's basically like any boat with a displacement hull. The more water it has to shove out of the way, the more power it takes to increase speed. Once it gets up, the power needed to keep it there is a fraction of what was needed to get it there. There is a point, and it's different with all boats, that throwing more HP at it won't increase the speed the boat is traveling. Aerodynamic drag, at a certain point, also becomes more detrimental to the boat's ability to accelerate than hydrodynamic drag.

Great to know Carl, What head clearance are you running if you do not mind me asking? I have a stock motor to break in with some 30% I mixed up, so I might just try 25% after that and see how it goes compared to my modded one.

cheers

Kris,

I will pull that engine down to look it over before long and I will get the actual head spacing for you. Mike is running 30% in his and he also pulled out a 0.005" shim to get his lap times up but I felt like then (and still think) that the problem was not in the engine performance but rather was in his setup because he could not stay hard into the throttle setting his into the turns due to his choice of prop and c/g. The difference between his lap time and mine was only 1 or 2 tenths of a second per lap according to the timing equipment in Huntsville. I am still running 25% in mine and will not change it until I see the need for it.

I still run 60-65% Nitro in my 3.5cc engines. I have not tried to setup to lower nitro in those engines and I don't expect to get that same result from them because of the rpm difference but I may play around with it this spring if I have time.

Donna Brown raced an original version Novarossi 21 in the early 1980s. She won many races with it. The bypass and crank ports were very small. I opened up (dremeled) the ports and it ran faster and Donna continued winning races, including the Orlando Winter Nats.
The engine was set up in very much the same way that engines are set up today. .340" bore carb, OPS 21 pipe, .008" head clearance, 50% nitro.

Since that first Nova 21 the Nova factory has increased the bypass and crank ports to larger and large sizes over the last 35 years.
"consistency goes out the door" ???

Andy,
I was thinking more along the lines of where you have removed a lot of the bottom portion of the sleeve and opened up the ports in the case over the years LOL. I have seen these engines scream but not a project many of us (including me), would even begin to start. My original post was a compliment to u.

Latest posts

Back