Nova Rossi factory break in procedure.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kris,
I run my Nova Rossi 46 outboard engine right out of the box stock with only head shim changes, a C6 turbo plug, SPP carbon pipe, 25% nitro and a 1450 prop. You can ask anyone around here how fast it is. You don't have to dump high nitro into these engines to get astounding & reliable performance from them. This change cut our fuel cost in half for that class and it's the fastest 7.5cc round track tunnel I have ever had (so far) LOL

The 39,500 rpm in the video is impressive and the optimum temp of 140 degrees after break in is cooler than I would have expected them to say but now if that's what they say you can take that to the bank that's for sure.

I didn’t watch all of the video, so I didn’t see where they mentioned the 140 temp, but when I was there they were doing everything in degrees C which would translate to 284 F....that’s much more like it!

GQ

Do whatever you like .......I am happy for you that you have been successful with your approach to RC nitro boating....
All I said is there is RPM in a "stock" motor we have never touched.....
I am sure Novarossi loves your approach to motor and set-up tuning.....they make new parts every day....
That isnt all you said by a long way.
Rpms are great but you have to have H.P. to go with it. comparing a buggy engine to a heat racing boat engine is silly.
do to the fact there are more light and more efficient boat designs out there at this time makes one feel they are getting more out of a engine. They are simply more efficient in the set ups.
As you go up on engine size, the engines need more modifying.
On road and off road engines are designed for maximum power within a reasonable fuel consumption. As are heli and plane engines.

John Ackerman had a break in stand that used some kind of special prop that Kavan out of Germany made. His stand used flex shafts that drove the prop and were at 90 degrees so you could run a pipe on the engine. I
I believe he used aluminum blades designed to not move as much air but still provide load. I only seen it once and that was in 1992 so I may be wrong.

That isnt all you said by a long way.
Rpms are great but you have to have H.P. to go with it. comparing a buggy engine to a heat racing boat engine is silly.
do to the fact there are more light and more efficient boat designs out there at this time makes one feel they are getting more out of a engine. They are simply more efficient in the set ups.
As you go up on engine size, the engines need more modifying.
On road and off road engines are designed for maximum power within a reasonable fuel consumption. As are heli and plane engines.

Ok ....if you say so......Comparing a buggy engine to a heat racing engine is not silly....they are both 2 strokes and the physics of both are exactly the same.... would love to talk to you sometime...PM me a phone number....

I agree.. not silly AT ALL.. truth is they are VERY MUCH the same.. in MANY MANY WAYS.. they are WAY more the same then they are not the same..

On road and off road engines offer you intake tuning that we dont need to worry about in our boats. They also typically come with a slide carb.. past that and the head designs..... well..

To samo

Grim

I didn’t watch all of the video, so I didn’t see where they mentioned the 140 temp, but when I was there they were doing everything in degrees C which would translate to 284 F....that’s much more like it!

GQ

We are way over-cooling our motors. I'm going to try and figure out a head temp sensor for my SAW boat to see where I'm at on the water.

Geraghty, there are many times when a manufacturer does not produce a perfect product and “dremel mods” actually lead to much fewer parts failures. A great example of this was when everyone was melting holes in RS 1.01 pistons. Jeff saw clearly that the transfers in the engine were too small and opened up the crankcase passages and the ports in the sleeve. After the manufacturer saw what these “dremel mods” did to improve the engine, they copied it and now all the engines come this way from the factory.

Kris,
I run my Nova Rossi 46 outboard engine right out of the box stock with only head shim changes, a C6 turbo plug, SPP carbon pipe, 25% nitro and a 1450 prop. You can ask anyone around here how fast it is. You don't have to dump high nitro into these engines to get astounding & reliable performance from them. This change cut our fuel cost in half for that class and it's the fastest 7.5cc round track tunnel I have ever had (so far) LOL

The 39,500 rpm in the video is impressive and the optimum temp of 140 degrees after break in is cooler than I would have expected them to say but now if that's what they say you can take that to the bank that's for sure.

Great to know Carl, What head clearance are you running if you do not mind me asking? I have a stock motor to break in with some 30% I mixed up, so I might just try 25% after that and see how it goes compared to my modded one.

cheers

I don't know about you all. But my self I love defiling a virgin eng with a Dremel and wallering it all out.
It is the small things in life that bring the most joy................................;)

Geraghty, there are many times when a manufacturer does not produce a perfect product and “dremel mods” actually lead to much fewer parts failures. A great example of this was when everyone was melting holes in RS 1.01 pistons. Jeff saw clearly that the transfers in the engine were too small and opened up the crankcase passages and the ports in the sleeve. After the manufacturer saw what these “dremel mods” did to improve the engine, they copied it and now all the engines come this way from the factory.
GTF out say it ain't so Jeff !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
We are way over-cooling our motors. I'm going to try and figure out a head temp sensor for my SAW boat to see where I'm at on the water.
Brass head button and small custom cooling caps work killer.
Noting like a "hot head" to burn NITRO.
Get the water off the case the fuel will cool it enough.
GTF out say it ain't so Jeff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Could not help my self Eric now could I....LOL
Back lash baby back lash.................................:p:D

If you can fit the thermal couple between the head and the case.. near the liner.. that would be a good place to try.

Grim

Can you say what year(s) this was?

Back