Notice from rcRacingEvents.com

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The bottom line is this. If your running FM it's not a problem. That's what alternate frequencies are for. FM is not the issue. Now if your running DSM and enter as FM just to avoid racing someone, it's become a problem because everyone is starting to do it and it's screwing things up for the clubs because they can't rack the heats.

Last edited:
Mark

Not taking it the wrong way at all. People have been doing this for decades. And it's been tolerated because it wasn't widespread. But now it seems that everyone is doing it. When you have 2-3 heats per round of a class and you can't rack it because of conflicts and when you know everyone is running DSM it is getting out of hand...

I have a dedicated pitman (Nub Kopisca) and we made a decision long ago to not run in each other's classes just for this reason.

If 6 guys or more signing up on the same frenq that is a definite problem for the CD to correct, and not your service.
Now if you have 3 pairs of guys signing up on the same three different frenq's, I don't consider that an issue, for it does not alter 95% of the potential heat compilation with 20 entrants.
Ever gone to an event and not race someone that was not on your frenq...I have. Randomizing is sometimes not so random.

Maybe your program can produce a way to make every racer run a different set of new competitors every heat (volume willing) If two contestants are on the same frenq, the lesser points would have to change. That would be cool!

Just my two cents. If some people are entering on FM or AM, there should be a radio impound at the race for those radios. This is to insure that no one accidentally turns on and interferes with a boat racing. If you are on DSM, there is no need to impound your radio.

I am afraid that I, we, Doc and I started that many years ago when we went to 2.4. We have always traveled together for many years. We always use Channel 64 on the small boats and 78 on the big boats when we ran channels. Now did we ever have to run each other at a race because the were not enough boats to make two heats. Many times! And if it's only for one class we would not have as many issues with finding pit/callers for a class with the both of us. It's not about not wanting to race my partner. It has to do with calling and pitting for each other. We share the pit table, starter, and many other things when we race. By pitting for each other we do not have to be a problem to the host club by holding the race up because we can't find a pit/caller to help each of us. And if anyone has watched us at a race we are most of the time the first boat to hit the water. The host club has never had to wait on us.

Is it wrong for us to use channel numbers to enter a race and run 2.4? I don't think so. Not the way we do it. If the host club is going to stop us from doing that they will make more of a problem on themselves. We run about 5 boats on the same class. It will be hard on our fellow racers to help for 5 boats each. Plus the time the host club will have to wait for us to get ready.

This NOT an issue of NOT WANTING TO RACE YOUR PIT MAN
IT IS1) A Safety issue: The speeds at which most hydros are running there needs to be a person familiar with especially a twin F hydro and even 45 hydro competent in starting launching and calling for a race.
2) When one travels 500-600
Miles to race and spends several thousand dollars in gas hotels and food and have to have an individual who knows nothing about you how you drive or requirements to launch the boat provide the needed help it is unacceptable
3) Trying to find help becomes a burden on other racers who need to deal with their own boats and issues
4) It slows the race down waiting in the pits for help to arrive to launch and call.

I must say this is a contrived issue. I have raced for 35 years and yet have not seen a problem. It is only a problem for those who just think people are trying to avoid racing each other for fear of the competition. I for one am NOT AFRAID OF COMPETITION.

I have yet in the previous discussion heard of a specific problem or issue other than they don’t like it. Most of the time issues are raised by non racers or occasional racers just because they don’t like something.

Let’s don’t throw another barrier to having fun and enjoyment racing or soon NO body is going to travel and spend a lot of money just to have to deal with this issue.

If there is the problem due to TOO MANY CONFLICTS then the CD can work with those in the class in question and it is easily resolved before the event.

I'm going to say this one last time.

The issue is that EVERYONE has started to do it to the point where even with 15-20 racers in a class the heats cannot be racked because of all of the FAKE frequency conflicts.

If your running DSM, enter as DSM. If you run FM, enter as FM with your frequency and alternate. But don't enter as FM if your running DSM. You're screwing it up for everyone and making the clubs work WAY harder than they need to. This is supposed to be a hobby, not a job.

Do you want to make 15 calls after a hard day's work and get 15 different reason's why 15 resistant people don't want to change a FAKE frequency that they are not even really on?

Give me a break...

We ALL know why people do it. But people have abused the system to the point where it is no longer sustainable.

Why everyone has started to do it is not my concern. Nor my problem. I'm trying to help the hobby by helping the clubs with this unnecessary issue. As stated before I'm not a sanctioning body, I'm a service to help the hobby.

What you read on rcRacingEvents.com during entry means nothing unless the clubs choose to create/enforce rules. This was inserted in the entry procedure to let racers know that some clubs may or may not allow this practice in the future. I'm just the middle-man.

Bill Britton
rcRacingEvents.com

Last edited:
In addition:
I am 75 yrs old, have had 2 knee replacements shoulder surgery and coronary artery disease.

I need help getting boat and stuff to the pits. If my pitman is in the same heat I am in a bind.

Again just another hassle interfering with fin and enjoyment

I don’t believe that there have been 15-20 racer conflicts in a SINGLE CLASS. It is RARE to have 20 racers in a single class.

I would really like to see the race where there has been 20 racer conflicts in a Single Class.
What race and when did that occur???

Bill what you are proposing will not help racing it will hurt racing and people coming to a race

If we need to change to accommodate the class we and I know others will
Gladly change.

We don’t need MORE RULES AND BARRIERS TO THOSE WHO WANT TO RACE

THANKS Doc
IE I am sick of rules and barriers to having fun

There is a race currently open for entries that the FM frequency was abused so badly that the club changed the flyer and race to allow ONLY DSM.

I'm done with this. It is what it is. The writing is on the wall.

What the sanctioning bodies and clubs decide to do is up to them.

You have been informed..

Last edited:
No matter which side you are on about this it should have never been put in Bill's lap. As previously mentioned look how CMB did it on their race flyer for the Fall Nats, that's handling it at a club level as it should be done.

Thanks Bill for all you have done, you're still around while the pretenders and copycats faded off into the sunset.

This is a BS issue,get out of the stone age ,band all FM radios.
All clubs should band the use of FM radios in a sanction race,this eliminates all the issues list in all the comments,and it take one step for the hosting club to have to post a radio frequency board.
I hope to adopt the band of all FM radios in my club.
Greg

Im easily confused, but i entered 2 classes for the Randy Premo Memorial race coming up that im using FM transmitters and receivers.......am i doing something wrong? I use 2.4g on a number of my boats but i do use FM on others and they are very dependable. I just want to be sure!

Read post #1. Bill laid out his "Idea" of how to mitigate this from his standpoint quite well.

Looks to me.. like your good to go!

Grim

I normally pit for my good friend and don't race in same class. This past weekend, we both raced in same class in a shootout format and raced each other.
If you and your pitman run the same class, I don't see any way around racing your pit man in a shootout format. The registration of DSM or FM is a mute point if races are the shootout format.

In my opinion, any club with an issue of FM registrants, should just run the shootout format - but be prepared to have good pit man available.

Last edited:
We have discussed this for years and in my mind it has nothing to do with DSM or crystal frequencies. "How do we get new racers" and "it's just toy boats" over and over. Yet a bunch get their panties in a wad over guys trying to make it easier to pit for each other. I do not see anyone dodging competitors. The registration system isn't perfect. Local clubs can deal with it easily. It would be nice if when there are enough boats that a heat will be split you could give racers the courtesy. If 6 or less boats we all will do what it takes. If you make a big issue then you will just get people to find other hobbies. Bill does not need to field any of this.
Mic
I remember way back (Duluth Mn 1970's) we split 6 boats to two 3 boat heats so a father and son could race the same boat. That's how you build club membership meeting needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back