Not everyone can be in lane 1 at the start

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for sharing, hope no-one was hurt.

When we were racing full scale back in the day, our main concern in a wreck ( open cockpit ) was being thrown out and 5 or 6 boats running over ya inside a wall of water. Saw a guy kite over backwards, 10 feet off my port bow. Another one, stuff a tunnel at 90+, we didn't think he was going to make it. Some of the crazy sh.t we did when we were young.

there's a lot of speculation among us on what caused it; they haven't put up any on-board video from the U-1 yet.

that might be telling on who caused the initial contact. just looking at U-7's camera doesn't tell the whole story.

All those guys are a tight knit group. J Michael's first concern was to see if Mark was OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was in West Palm Beach in "F" Hydro and my Dad drove the Six Cylinder and I had the 44 on the Marchetti. We nailed the start but Dad was outside so I tried to duck in but a "D" Stock stepped up to run "F"??? I came thru Dad's roostertail with no option but to spin out to keep from running over the Stocker.. Next thing I knew was Al Holob running the best his 460 Evinrude was ever running ran right over me!!! That was the last time I ever took a girlfriend to a race . **** now she is my wife!!!! Things happen so fast in that time but when looked at in the past you can see it all in slow motion!!! Just glad those guys weren't hurt we didn't have capsules in 1969!!!

Later!!

Pat

Pat, that slo-mo recall is SO REAL!!

During a test session, I had just committed to a turn in rough water when it tripped the chine. Threw me through the upper deck ( broken ribs/cut ankle from the foot throttle ) into the drink. Happened so fast that I had no recall until I was floating to the surface. I only had the air bubble under my helmet, and it took an eternity to surface. Turns out, the boat stayed unright, but the straight 6 Merc was sitting sideways on the transom ( racing mounts totally destroyed ), and when I climbed up on the tab, I saw the steel steering wheel was twisted like a pretzel, and the side deck fractured.

When I recall that incident, it's like a half hour episode.

LOL... after healing the ribs and fixing the boat, went to the next "river" race, and doesn't another racer bounce off a wave and smacks my deck in the same spot. I was so pis.ed, I won the class that day LOL.

Back