Northwind 40 drive strut is offset .Why ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidkrienke

I picked up a northwind 40 and the drive strut is not centered but pitched to the left. does anyone know why this was done this way ?

Attachments

• 20210925_150922.jpg
    20210925_150922.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
  • 20210925_150944.jpg
    20210925_150944.jpg
    643.2 KB · Views: 45
I dont seen any strut that is bent. The stuffing tube on the white boat is bent to one side. It goes thru the hull straight. Just bend it back.
Mike

I dont seen any strut that is bent. The stuffing tube on the white boat is bent to one side. It goes thru the hull straight. Just bend it back.
Mike
Yes on the white bottom there see how it comes out center and then is mounted crooked pitching to the left . so its like it is turning left all the time. I just wonder why someone would do that .

Mike
its actually mounted in the boat crooked at the back. the strut is straight but angling left like it is turning left if it was a outdrive.

I always use an arrow shaft clamped to the side of struts, turn fins, sponsons, etc.....

It exaggerates the angle or straightness of the part so you can see it clearly .... I've corrected a lot of running and ride issues this way...

For the price of two arrow shafts they should be part of any modelers toolbox!!

I tried to take another picture of the strut it looks to be 1/4 offset to the left and pointing left as well. 20211001_005304.jpg

Attachments

• 20211001_005321.jpg
    20211001_005321.jpg
    480.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20211001_005335.jpg
    20211001_005335.jpg
    475.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20211001_005348.jpg
    20211001_005348.jpg
    460 KB · Views: 7
Yeah,,,, that's uh.... really crooked. 🧐

As there is no way for any adjustment, I can only gather that the manufacturer knew what it took to make the hull run right..I mean properly.

I wonder if the hull may have been used as a tether boat at one time...and the strut was purposely installed that way.??

Have you run it yet ?

To counteract propwalk maybe? and reduce any rudder drag from left trim?,I'm not sure if propwalk applies to a submerged prop,I wonder how that style of boat would go with the prop shaft comming out of the transom/surface drive,,also reducing shaft/strut drag

I remember doing that on vee hulls to load one side more for better cornering. Its something myself and Andy used to do running the early versions of the AC hulls. It would be interesting to run that hull as a surface drive, the stuffing box caused so much drag.

I remember doing that on vee hulls to load one side more for better cornering. Its something myself and Andy used to do running the early versions of the AC hulls. It would be interesting to run that hull as a surface drive, the stuffing box caused so much drag.
Thanks Rob for chiming in on it. Now would be the time to make it surface drive since I am totally redoing both the northwind 20 and the 40 here. I will have to look for a couple surface struts for them and see what I can come up with .

Now would be the time to make it surface drive since I am totally redoing both the northwind 20 and the 40 here. I will have to look for a couple surface struts for them and see what I can come up with
not sure how well the flat bottom would run with surface drive? (not sure it would be worth it?)

Also, I believe the offset strut is to correct the right-turning tendency caused by prop torque

Last edited:
Hi,
the Northwind are designed by Ed Fischer and his father (working at Boing ) . It was original driven by a sub surface propeller and was designed for straight away speed. We run this boat also where sucsessfull with K&B outbord unit and elektric motors. This hull is like a lifting boby airplane in ground effect. at the designed speed it will realy fly on the water surface only touching the top of the waves , best on small ripple waves . A left hand bend shaft will correct the prop torque also on full submerged propellers but we use this position not so often as the propshaft is runing at this angle hitting the water full sideways. We use normaly the parallel offset drive on the right to get a left hand force on full submerged and on full suface drives. Full submerged because of torque , full surface because propwalke . I like to run with it a left mount ruder , because it has also drag that will give a little left hand force to counter the propwalke .
Place a book or box on a table and simulate such forces by pushing the box by one finger. Ab trust to let is go forward . Then ab a little sidetrust because propwalke and you will see the box will turn right. Then do not anymoore push the box in the middle , place the finger moore on the right sinde and you will see that the box will find a straight way to move. And the box has no fin or keel or anything that will make it go straight. With such it will go witch less drag.

Happy Amps Christian

Quoted from Christian Lucas.
"The Northwind was designed by Ed Fischer and his father (working at Boeing ) . It was original driven by a sub surface propeller and was designed for straight away speed. We run this boat and also were successful with K&B outboard unit and electric motors. This hull is like a lifting body airplane in ground effect. at the designed speed it will really fly on the water surface only touching the top of the waves , best on small ripple waves . A left hand bend shaft will correct the prop torque also on full submerged propellers but we use this position not so often as the prop shaft is running at this angle hitting the water full sideways. We use normally the parallel offset drive on the right to get a left hand force on full submerged and on full surface drives. Full submerged because of torque , full surface because prop walk . I like to run with it a left mount rudder , because it has also drag that will give a little left hand force to counter the prop walk .
Place a book or box on a table and simulate such forces by pushing the box by one finger. Add thrust to let it go forward . Then add a little side trust because prop walk and you will see the box will turn right. Then do not anymore push the box in the middle , place the finger more on the right side and you will see that the box will find a straight way to move. And the box has no fin or keel or anything that will make it go straight. With such it will go with less drag. " End Quote.

Thank you for the input. I appreciate it . Makes sense now . I do have a K&B 7.5cc engine I could put on it someday. I think that would be a neat setup. I might end up running both of these as outboards if they cause to much trouble being that they are just for fun and not racing.

Last edited:
Back