• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Int'l Waters and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Parts Wanted Northwind 20 strut rudder assy wanted

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I have been working on the nortwind 20 getting it ready to paint and happened to pick up a 40 hull as well. It has the Drive shaft strut off to one side I noticed and wanted to know if before I go any further if I should remove the drive strut and make it centered. Or was there a reason they had done it that way thinking maybe for torque steer problem? If anyone has the setup sheet for the 40 I would love to have a copy.

Attachments

• 20210925_150922.jpg
    20210925_150922.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • 20210925_150944.jpg
    20210925_150944.jpg
    643.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
There are arguments to where it should be. I always ran them offfset out of the propwash just like how the hydroplanes were setup.
This is the drive strut I am wondering about . if you look in the pic its curved to one side and not coming straight with the boat but is thrusting left .

This is the drive strut I am wondering about . if you look in the pic its curved to one side and not coming straight with the boat but is thrusting left .
Geez what an airhead. Strut and thrust line offsets are also done. Thrust line offset and alignment is done. I have offset driveline to the left to give more riding surface on the right side of the hull to counter torque porposing oscillation. I don't know what effect left offset alignment would have.

Somebody on the forum will most certainly know. :)

Geez what an airhead. Strut and thrust line offsets are also done. Thrust line offset and alignment is done. I have offset driveline to the left to give more riding surface on the right side of the hull to counter torque porposing oscillation. I don't know what effect left offset alignment would have.

Somebody on the forum will most certainly know. :)
I am curious and unsure what it will do having it off to the left also. The only thing I could thing of is maybe to keep the boat from torque steering left or maybe it yawing in the turns . Hoping someone will chime in and let us know as well. Thanks for replying Steve I appreciate it.

The thing is that torque will steer it right not left. Yes, the explanation will be interesting. You many find that left alignment isn't what you want in the boat. I would think that thrust alignment offset would be just the opposite?

Somebody 'splain this please.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back