• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Int'l Waters and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Parts Wanted Northwind 20 strut rudder assy wanted

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidkrienke

I am restoring a couple old delta boats and wanted to see if anyone knows where I could get a strut and rudder assy that fits the northwind 20. I thought I had read that there was a rudder that sat behind the prop on this one. any help would be greatly appreciated. Also does this boat need trim tabs to make it run well?.

Attachments

• 20210703_172933.jpg
    20210703_172933.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 20210703_203111.jpg
    20210703_203111.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 89
Cool! Looks like a Northwind 20 sitting next to a Norco Eaglet 20 ?

Yes, you can run outdrive-type prop/rudder configuration. There are various brands and sizes of struts and rudder assy's available, just need to select right size (to achieve desired strut depth, and rudder depth/width, with mounting brackets that fit within the limited transom mounting surface area.

I would first check Speedmaster:
http://www.rossisales.com/
possibly the part No. SPDR-005-M Mini Rudder Mono Assy
http://www.rossisales.com/MINIRUDDERS.html
possibly this strut assy, part No.
SPDSS-001-HR Small Strut Assy. ( round bottom )
$22.50

http://www.rossisales.com/3-16STRUTS.html
I've attatched PDF copy of original Northwind 20 build instructions; a full-size scanned copy of the detailed plans. Also an image of a strut assy placement on the detail drawing. Should provide much setup details.

Attachments

• SteveMuck_Northwind20_StrutPlacement_Dec2015_01.jpg
    SteveMuck_Northwind20_StrutPlacement_Dec2015_01.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 71
  • SteveMuck_Northwind20_OriginalDrawingPlans.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 75
  • SteveMuck_Lil'Northwind20_BuildingInstructions_Circa1980.pdf
    6.5 MB · Views: 83
to bad.. some times its a swing and a miss.. I have a Hardware (looks new and compete) for the 40 Northwind..

Grim

to bad.. some times its a swing and a miss.. I have a Hardware (looks new and compete) for the 40 Northwind..

Grim
Did they put the rudder right behind the propeller on that one?. I see now in the picture they put the strut under the hull . The one I have had a octura strut mounted off the back .I just didnt know if it would work right with this rudder being so close to the prop.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (7).jpg
    s-l1600 (7).jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 64
  • s-l1600 (8).jpg
    s-l1600 (8).jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 65
  • s-l1600 (9).jpg
    s-l1600 (9).jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Did they put the rudder right behind the propeller on that one?. I see now in the picture they put the strut under the hull . The one I have had a octura strut mounted off the back .I just didnt know if it would work right with this rudder being so close to the prop.
I would use the same rudder offset distance (or close) as provided in the drawing (top view)

I would use the same rudder offset distance (or close) as provided in the drawing (top view)
I will have to mount the strut up though the bottom of the radio box i guess. How would that not let water in though ?.I see they had a trim tab called a ride plate as well. I will have to make some of those and install them. I wondered if it needed trim tabs . These plans are gold . I so appreciate this.

If anyone has plans for the Eaglet I am also restoring on of them as well. white boat in top pic.

I will have to mount the strut up though the bottom of the radio box i guess. How would that not let water in though ?
you don't necessarily have to. You can mount strut and rudder on rear transom (in an "outdrive" configuration). Just want to make sure to follow original strut depth (as in detailed drawing/build instructions). Rudder can mount right-side.

You can install a strut through the floor (as shown on plans) if you like. Just need to seal (read build instructions). I would prefer out-drive configuration

By the way, that is a Power Product injection-molded rudder assy. It will work, just want to make sure it is still good (not too compromised from age and use).

I have a brand new Power Products rudder assy ($25.00USD shipped) if you like

Attachments

• PowerProducts_RudderAssy_InjectionMolded_01.jpg
    PowerProducts_RudderAssy_InjectionMolded_01.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 56
By the way, that is a Power Product injection-molded rudder assy. It will work, just want to make sure it is still good (not too compromised from age and use).

I have a brand new Power Products rudder assy ($25.00USD shipped) if you like
This one looks ok .It just looks like a sore thumb on the boat. there is barely enough hull there to mount both the strut and the rudder.

This one looks ok .It just looks like a sore thumb on the boat. there is barely enough hull there to mount both the strut and the rudder.
yeah looks like the previous owner just slapped on whatever he could get his hands on, instead of doing a little research and acquiring the proper components. Although, as long as the parts are properly positioned it’s fine.

the only good thing about the Power Products injection-molded parts (like that rudder) is they are very light, and work well on a .20 to .40 size hull (even though Howard Power designed those parts for the complete range of boat hulls, .20 thru .90).

I would completely gut this Northwind hull: sand the original finish off; sand/clean-up the inside hatch areas; reinforce with glass cloth and epoxy; reinforce the rear transom bulkhead (maybe add another 1/16 or 1/8 plywood doubler piece on the inside surface, and add glass cloth); fill original transom screw holes with epoxy. Once re-sanded, then mount new rudder and hardware (drill new holes). You'll have to cut a "T-slot" into the rear hull floor radio compartment to mount the strut (as per instructions)

Last edited:
That's what I am in the process of doing now I have it all apart and wet sanded the top and now working on the holes. I will look at the rear bulkhead. it needs to shed weight. its 42 ounces empty and my eaglet is 29 .Northwind feels like a tank. Hoping it will still go good being heavy. I have a Os 21xz I am putting in it with a cmb pipe. so it will have plenty of power if I get the prop right.

That's what I am in the process of doing now I have it all apart and wet sanded the top and now working on the holes. I will look at the rear bulkhead. it needs to shed weight. its 42 ounces empty and my eaglet is 29 .Northwind feels like a tank. Hoping it will still go good being heavy. I have a Os 21xz I am putting in it with a cmb pipe. so it will have plenty of power if I get the prop right.
I would'nt worry too much about weight, the Northwind hulls are light (unless there is some unusual extra weight inserted into hull)

I found this rudder on ebay . What do you think of this one. It would be easier to adapt if it will work on it.

Attachments

• s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 44
I found this rudder on ebay . What do you think of this one. It would be easier to adapt if it will work on it.
it will work. However, I would prefer a conventional set-up- ie. a separate rudder assy, off-set on right (starboard) side; a separate strut mounted on the transom (outdrive configuration), set to same depth as plans show (7/8" to 1.0" deep, parallel). Simple set-up, that will run well.

How would this work for the northwind. I thought it might look more period correct.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 45
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 45

Latest posts

Back