• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Int'l Waters and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Tool for Sale Nitro % tool

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My understanding is this won't work on fuel already blended because the methanol & oil has different specific gravity numbers that pure nitro. On several occasions my nitro (VP) was checked by a friend (Terry Keeley) and was 99.9% every time, for what it's worth. I've been blending my fuel for 20 yrs

You simply test a known % apply that formula. Example. 66% reads as 90. I deduct diff 24 and get 66. Not perfect but it does tell you if that gallon is consistent with other fuel you have. This was invaluable a few tears ago when a supplier didn’t get mixed evenly so had some with way too low oil or way too high and you couldn’t get a tune.

You simply test a known % apply that formula. Example. 66% reads as 90. I deduct diff 24 and get 66. Not perfect but it does tell you if that gallon is consistent with other fuel you have. This was invaluable a few tears ago when a supplier didn’t get mixed evenly so had some with way too low oil or way too high and you couldn’t get a tune.
Yep, what Bill is saying. I got some fuel that was over 90% nitro and the boat wouldn't even start. It was the last race of the year and bad fuel cost me any chance of the high points championship. It made me wonder how many times that no matter what I did that I couldn't get a consistent tune and was attributed to bad fuel. Since then I never take a gallon of fuel to a race that I haven't hydro'd first.

Last edited:
My understanding is this won't work on fuel already blended because the methanol & oil has different specific gravity numbers that pure nitro. On several occasions my nitro (VP) was checked by a friend (Terry Keeley) and was 99.9% every time, for what it's worth. I've been blending my fuel for 20 yrs
Didn't read the instructions but it's my understanding that you just adjust the oil % in the calculations.
So does this end at 10:29am today?
Tomorrow at 10:29. I posted it Monday.

Back