NHRA news Qatar Racing Club has terminated funding for all motorsports activities in North America

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys, I know some of you are addicted to drag cars and alcohol for fuel. That's all well and good but, until you stand next to a 1650 Rolls Merlin, 2240 Rolls Griffon or 1710 Allison when they are fired up, you can't get a real appreciation for the power that can be generated by an piston engine. Top fuel engines run for less than five minutes and with a load for less than 10 seconds before being torn down and rebuilt. The V12s can run for hundreds of hours in an aircraft and for several hours in boat racing configurations before needing a rebuild
That would be the price paid for generating 8,000 to 10,000 HP (est.) from 500 c.i.d.
That's why you need an Oil Sheik as a sponsor to pay for it all.
default_wacko.png

Nothing compare's to Nitro on the water. The smell of Nitro&Salt Water hanging in the air after a fueler makes a pass is awesome . I grew in Long Beach Ca. after we left Road Island my Dad was a Master Chief Petty Officer. The Long Beach Marine Stadium was five blocks from my house. Fuelers used to have qualifiy to get in too the field<< there that many boats trying to make the show . Now just show and make it to finish line to get in the field . Boats like Smoke On The Water--Climax--Mr Ed--Down&Out--Panic Mouse--Bad Moon Risin. Nitro has it's own grip on people.
I grew up in Torrance.

Are you old enough to remember Golden Thing, Banzai and Assassin? How about El Tigre? El Tigre was ahead of it's time in that it was running twin screws in the early 60's. Golden Thing went 157 at Marine Stadium, Banzai went 165 and Butch Peterson skied 106 MPH behind The Thing.
66 on for racing, my JR High School was across the street from the drags. The pain of having hear boats making passes all day killed me . I was there when Chuck Streans went 126 sking . I got see mid week test of first lifeline safety jacket/safety chute . Chuck had it hooked to his ski tow handle he just let go of the handle. zip right out of the ski for a soft landing on the water . The most fun bunch was team on the boat Porky Pig Blown Fuel Flat Bottom < a class that is no more. I also got to see the first 200mph record pass for a Fuel Boat . Long Beach was the best for boat racing. I go every year for Socal Speed Boat Club Event, love K-Boats .

Last edited by a moderator:
Been to 9 different NHRA tracks/events, nothing compares to seeing them in person, even with the new 1000' track!

Wonder if Allan Johnson will start a new team or hang 'em up? Think he's done being a crew chief for someone else...

anyone see antron brown there? hes a great guy and a boat racer

Last edited by a moderator:
On the bright side, attended my first NHRA National in PA this past October. Had a awesome time. My son now understands why my eyes burn a little from a boat's nitro fumes after we stood next to Tony Shumacher's top fueler during a test start up. Every gear head should go at least once in their life. In my case I think it will be an annual thing..
default_smile.png
told ya so!! NOBODY can ever truly comprehend it until they go. Television CANNOT do it justice. the only thing tv can do better is the high speed/slomo cameras showing all the changes the car goes through on a pass.
yeah, I was at Fall Nationals here in Pomona, Calif last November and had the same experience:

Was standing next to John Force's pit area, they were test-firing a funny car set-up and, man, the nitro fumes overcame a packed crowd of on-lookers, myself and wife included. Eye's and sinus burning. Scary. Seems they should'nt let fans that close?

Guys, I know some of you are addicted to drag cars and alcohol for fuel. That's all well and good but, until you stand next to a 1650 Rolls Merlin, 2240 Rolls Griffon or 1710 Allison when they are fired up, you can't get a real appreciation for the power that can be generated by an piston engine. Top fuel engines run for less than five minutes and with a load for less than 10 seconds before being torn down and rebuilt. The V12s can run for hundreds of hours in an aircraft and for several hours in boat racing configurations before needing a rebuild
I bet standing there listening to a V-12 is pretty awesome but going 160+ For about an hour in a twin turbine cat in about 3 to 4’ seas is a rush that is hard to explain! 😁

Back