Newton question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T.S.Davis

This is more a of general question. I'm not sure if you guys can help without a specific hull.

A lot the Newton plans (so I've been told) were drawn in an erra where the power available wasn't quite what we have today. Some of those plans become quirky when you crank up the speed.

I'll be building electric. Turbine style. I know at least that much. All kinds of power options. Planning to go fast.

Got me to thinking. Can you guys tell me in general terms what might make some of those old designs blow over specials if I really crank them up? Too much air? Angle of attack? Or would we need to talk about a specific hull to really pin down some concepts?

I've seen brand new Newton designed boats that are screamers and are as stable as they come. If you're refering to a specific boat, it would help to know which one you are refering to. In general, from what I can tell, it's all in the set up. My advice would be talk to allrc and Miniczar here in the forum. Miniczar has one win this season, allrc and family have had great success with Roger's designs over the years, including several R/C Unlimiteds high points championships

I'm partial to the 1992 Tide but I'm concerned about throwing it out there at the speed I'm planning to run. Anybody know if it's going to get weird in the upper 60's low 70's? ....or are those typical speeds?

I'm also fond of the latest Oberto but that might require more research than I want to do right now. I've already got too much planned for this winter.

want to simplify your life?

ml baotworks (spoonefex) on here and get one of his kits. he is drawing them on cad, getting them laser cut, and the problems with speicfic hulls are being drawn out and fixed x cad.

the price is right also!

want to simplify your life?

ml baotworks (spoonefex) on here and get one of his kits. he is drawing them on cad, getting them laser cut, and the problems with speicfic hulls are being drawn out and fixed x cad.

the price is right also!
Yep, that was the plan but I wasn't sure if I would just be building something that wasn't ready for what I was going to throw at it. I know he's fixed the fit issues. That's half the battle. I wanted to know about the geometry itself. I thought that was still the original design.

The good thing about the tide and other of the newer style hulls are the designs themselves are just better for hi speeds. They have a lot better attack angles. Mike

The good thing about the tide and other of the newer style hulls are the designs themselves are just better for hi speeds. They have a lot better attack angles. Mike
Get something with an adjustable front canard aka Bud Elam Formula style. You can add downforce if needed

If you like the Tide, order the plans and build it. More than anything, the set up and balance will make the difference in a fast boat, a dog or an unstable flyer. The advantage of building from plans is you can make changes that a kit won't let you make. Some extend the sponsons back, others shorten them, moving the transom forward, while others change the sponson AOA. I like to change the bottom p.rofile in the tunnel so there are lots of things you can play with when building from plans

Back