New prop ideas

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Van Houten

Supporting Member
Vendor
Alright, this should be interesting. Maybe Jim can whip us up a quick mold for one of these Ribbon style props to try in RC. LOL Not sure it will surface very well though. Crazy geometry... just thought I would share it. I'll stick to the ole tried and true stuff.

Attachments

• RIBBON BLADE PROP.jpg
    RIBBON BLADE PROP.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Hi Carl,

this type of propeller are inspirated by bionic design. The round close loop helps to minimice the flow from sucktion side to the pressure side of a propeller. It is the same on every wing. At the wingtip the pressure differnce will come to the same level. So the air , water will go around the tip. Airplane use winglets to prefent it but there is also a loop version the spiroid winglet, http://www.dicat.unige.it/bottaro/Papers/Guerrero.pdf . The total,fullfill is the boxwing design, http://www.sunny-boxwing.de/Ringwing-Ellipse.html , scroll down to see a airplane with elypsoid wing. All minimice the vortext at the tip . less vortex is less drag. I think it can worke on full submerged propeller but a surface propeller has so much air and water mixing that it will be not easy to get a better result. Maybe such propeller makes less noice but if i want noiceless boatrace i can tow the boat with a string driven by an beach mount electricmotor.
Waterski use somewhere such ski lift drive. https://v8a-moving-pictures.com/inselsee_blaichach/index.html?nav_id=4647-46229&noMenu=yes .

Happy Amps Christian

Alright, this should be interesting. Maybe Jim can whip us up a quick mold for one of these Ribbon style props to try in RC. LOL Not sure it will surface very well though. Crazy geometry... just thought I would share it. I'll stick to the ole tried and true stuff.

That would be a definite challenge Carl. I know how to make propellers without the use of a CNC machine or a 3-D printer. I
think this would be very difficult, maybe impossible, using the lost wax method.

JA

new is relative.. I have a buddy that has this Ed Huey prop.. from BACK in the day.

Neat eh!

Grim

Attachments

• received_427491431128246.jpeg
    received_427491431128246.jpeg
    215.1 KB · Views: 184
new is relative.. I have a buddy that has this Ed Huey prop.. from BACK in the day.

Neat eh!

Grim
Yea I've seen that tried before. The theory is to cut a bite and throw it to the tips where it is deflected into the final pitch and thrown off so that the blade runs drier but I have never seen anyone actually get it to work that good. The ones I saw were a cavitation nightmare. If anyone could get it to work Ed should have been able to though. Cool looking prop.

I have one of the first pitch gauge sets he ever made. He gave them to me in Huntsville at a race there one year. It's his original comparator type (before the Huey gage). They are crude compared to what prop tools look like toady but since he made them they will stay here.

Attachments

• 20190506_183101.jpg
    20190506_183101.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Back