New Nova 21 T21-5M

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzMandella

So since I am getting back into RC boats I have started purchasing a few things I bought a new Novarossii 21 T21-5M . Funny thing is when you turn it over it is hard to rotate . And no it's not a compression thing . I took the head off and it does not rotate smoothly . It rotates smoothly until a little bit before TDC . It feels like the top of the bore is slightly undersized . Anybody ever experience this . I also bought a Nova 67 To- Be and it is smooth as can be .

Really ? It is really hard to turn . With the head button and head off it pushes the sleeve up . Would be really hard to check gap trying to rotate to TDC .

Warm it with a heat gun and it will roll over smooth. You should warm it up before you try and start it also. After the engine is broke in you will not need to warm it.

Really ? It is really hard to turn . With the head button and head off it pushes the sleeve up . Would be really hard to check gap trying to rotate to TDC .

Yes. My 21 was so tight that I had to use a wrench a couple time to get the Piston on BTC so I could start it. After about 5-6 break in tanks it loosened up and is good to go.

Jeff is Right. Use a heat gun!!! You will see how it will roll over TDC after heating engine.

Heat it then start it while it's still warm. Run about three tanks through it on the stand. Run it Rich as you can without stalling engine.

Then run boat without cooling hooked up but run it rich
For a lap check your temperature

I kept mine between 170 and one 190 degrees. If to hot go richer. Avoid prolonged wide open Throttle no more than 10 seconds. Run about six tanks through boat. Between each tank bring motor to bottom dead center and let engine cool before restarting engine.

After six tanks connect cooling to engine. Run three tanks fuel
Going WOT on back streach then back off to 1/2 throttle until you come to back streatch then WOT. Repeat this until you get three tanks through engine. You may have to lien it out a bit to keep your temp at 170 to 190 degrees. Alway keep temp up in this range. Never break in your engine cold or to cool you will hurt your motor.

After three tanks run three more tanks one hot lap one slow lap then one hot lap and one slow lap run like this for about six more tanks, keeping Engine at 190° My engine was totally broke in after 1 1/4 gallons of fuel.

Some peoples experience may differ from mine and we all have our breaking process. There are a lot of other people on this site that may have other ideas on break in procedure.

Be certain that you take the time to break your engine in and be patient. a long lasting engine will depend on the very important break in, especially On a Novarossi.

It's one of the tightest engines out of the box I ever had to break in take your time. These are great engines, and worth the effort.

Thanks
Jim

Jeff is Right. Use a heat gun!!! You will see how it will roll over TDC after heating engine.

Heat it then start it while it's still warm. Run about three tanks through it on the stand. Run it Rich as you can without stalling engine.

Then run boat without cooling hooked up but run it rich
For a lap check your temperature

I kept mine between 170 and one 190 degrees. If to hot go richer. Avoid prolonged wide open Throttle no more than 10 seconds. Run about six tanks through boat. Between each tank bring motor to bottom dead center and let engine cool before restarting engine.

After six tanks connect cooling to engine. Run three tanks fuel
Going WOT on back streach then back off to 1/2 throttle until you come to back streatch then WOT. Repeat this until you get three tanks through engine. You may have to lien it out a bit to keep your temp at 170 to 190 degrees. Alway keep temp up in this range. Never break in your engine cold or to cool you will hurt your motor.

After three tanks run three more tanks one hot lap one slow lap then one hot lap and one slow lap run like this for about six more tanks, keeping Engine at 190° My engine was totally broke in after 1 1/4 gallons of fuel.

Some peoples experience may differ from mine and we all have our breaking process. There are a lot of other people on this site that may have other ideas on break in procedure.

Be certain that you take the time to break your engine in and be patient. a long lasting engine will depend on the very important break in, especially On a Novarossi.

It's one of the tightest engines out of the box I ever had to break in take your time. These are great engines, and worth the effort.

Thanks
Jim
Thank you very much . I was going to ask about break in procedures later . Still have to build a boat . This is going to be a learning curve but I have extensive experience in V8's for racing and know how critical break in is for longevity and performance Although for V*'s it is for cam and rings more so . The bug to race again is what got me going on getting back into RC boats . Just a hell of a lot cheaper . Although I am restoring a 1969 Mandella V-Drive with a Holman Moody FE 427 Side Oiler right now .

Latest posts

Back