New member - here to pick brains and contribute

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LibertyFrancis

Hello my name is Liberty.
Here to pick brains and contribute.

I am a speed junkie looking to do SAW style speed runs, but i will be using GPS and not competing against anyone. Just doing it for fun/ for myself.
Currently have a 42" mono for general use and looking to design and build a rigger for high speeds.

I have done custom carbon fiber RC cars for the past few years... There are no good roads around to fully utilize their potential, but I have tons of ponds and a massive lake in North Texas.
1.jpg

Last edited:
Car looks badass ... what kind of speeds ?
I bet the limiting factor is the road surface,, no way to find a long enough smooth enough to hit the top end speed...

By massive lake in north Texas,,, any chance you are talking about lake Lewisville ?

I see the car is 4 wheel drive,, no shocks...
Would 2 wheel drive be faster ?

Last edited:
Car looks badass ... what kind of speeds ?
I bet the limiting factor is the road surface,, no way to find a long enough smooth enough to hit the top end speed...

By massive lake in north Texas,,, any chance you are talking about lake Lewisville ?

I see the car is 4 wheel drive,, no shocks...
Would 2 wheel drive be faster ?

It was only tested at low speeds. I sold this one to fund building a better one ;)
This car was based off the Arrma limitless, which the current record for that model is 190mph.

4wd is best due to limited traction. Especially during braking it would just drag the rear tires and crash.

My local lake is Lavon. Oscar Love lives fairly close to me.

This is the new car build, which is fully custom designed in CAD. Dallas CNC made the aluminum bearing carriers and motor mount for me.

2Capture.JPG

Primer 3 quarter view Capture.JPG

Body size compared to a 1/7 Limitless
Front center Capture.JPG

So cool.... makes sense about the braking and traction... never thought about that aspect.
So do you run on a measured course or just wherever you can find a huge flat space?

Is running these cars a sanctioned event, like the IMPBA ?

So cool.... makes sense about the braking and traction... never thought about that aspect.
So do you run on a measured course or just wherever you can find a huge flat space?

Is running these cars a sanctioned event, like the IMPBA ?
Events exist in Europe only at this time. That organization is called ROSSA.
in the US most people run on low traffic country roads and measure speed with GPS.
No distance limitations other than your eyes and radio signal...

The car I'm building now is an airport runway only build and I expect to need 2500+ ft.
Given that no airports so far have let me use their runway I am moving to boats where I have plenty of smooth surface to run on.

Last edited:
Well, as you know, there are always the two questions you get asked in these hobbies of ours,, 🤪

so:
What's your best speed to date?

And,, if you don't mind,,, how much $$$ to set one up like the one you have now... or the one you sold ?

Last edited:
Well, as you know, there are always the two questions you get asked in these hobbies of ours,, 🤪

so:
What's your best speed to date?

And,, if you don't mind,,, how much to set one up like the one you have now... or the one you sold ???
The carbon cars run near $2k

For the Limitless on 2s my best was 86mph.
Stock electronics Arrma Kraton 6s with gearing change and tire change 96 mph.
Arrma Typhon running 8s with a Castle ESC and stock Arrma motor 119 mph.
I did 131 once but no proof thanks to a messed up GoPro sd card.
Video links embedded in the speed.

The other cars are more capable (170+), but don't have the roads to run them at their potential...

Last edited:
pretty impressive!!
They are flying when they go past!

Thanks!
Now I am looking to build a fast rigger. I enjoy building things so I will be making it all custom in CAD > 3D printed to form a mold > fiberglass or carbon fiber final product.

Just have not nailed down a final shape/design.

slim front quarter Capture.JPG

Have you seen the thread on here about the
200 mph electric hydro..maybe get some inspiration and ideas from that ??
It looks like you definitely have the skills and experience working with carbon fiber to pull it off!!

Have you seen the thread on here about the
200 mph electric hydro..maybe get some inspiration and ideas from that ??
It looks like you definitely have the skills and experience working with carbon fiber to pull it off!!

Thanks!
It should be a fun process. I did read through one, but it was about tunnel hydros, which would be different than riggers in some ways. Much of this likely will be trail and error with an educated starting point. Obviously JAG's rigger is a great example to reference among many other custom riggers I am collecting images on.

Back