New Guy with an Old boat!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, just pulled this off the storage shelf. My dad bought it for me in the late 1970's. It last ran in the early 1990's.

I would like to convert it to electric and bring it back to life. Looking for suggestions on motor, ESC and batteries. Not planning to race it so budget parts would be fine. The removed KB 6.5 and exhaust will be for sale also.

Thanks so much.

Chuck Newman
Petaluma, California

IMG_1466.jpegIMG_1467.jpegIMG_1465.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello Chuck, it looks like a 3.5cc motor. This is a good equivalent to today's 4 cell lipo systems. For reasonable speeds in the 30-45mph range there are a multitude of options to choose from.

Tell us more on what your goals are and we can make some recommendations and post some links.

Offshore Electrics is one of the best resources for forums and parts for electric boats.

HI Tyler,

Thanks for your reply. My goal is to go around 40MPH. The gas engine is a K&B and it says "6.5" on the side so I think it is 6.5cc (0.40 cu in)? The boat is roughly 40" long and made of fiberglass.

Looking forward to responses

Chuck,
With what your trying to do here is a list you can get from Offshore Electrics that will work. I can recommend as I have actually run this equipment in a 38" mono in our local Q limited class. I will suggest a conservative prop since you are not concerned with racing.
Motor Leopard 4074 Motor | Offshore Electrics
1400kv and run on 6 cells will give you power to easily go high 40's.
ESC OSE Raider 6s 150amp Esc with connectors | Offshore Electrics OSE will have them back in stock or look online for a Flycolor 150 which is the same ESC. Will handle the 40X74 motor on 6S.
Prop CNC Prop 42mm 3 BLD - 3/16" bore | Offshore Electrics this or an Octura M445.
Batteries I like Roaring Top 6cells in parallel. 2 3700ma = 7400ma
45C 3700 mAh 6S- Roaring Top lithium polymer batteries are built to meet the their 45c cells are cheaper and in parallel they give all the amps you can handle. This equipment runs mid to high 50's in my 38" Seaducer with more aggressive props.
Mic

Mic,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. This is exactly what I needed. And a little less expensive than I thought as a bonus!

This was the first boat that I built back in the 70's. I had the same transom hardware set up. Wish I had some pics. I showed it at the Toledo Weak Signals RC show and convention.

Here is a follow up on my gas to electric conversion project. Followed Mic's configuration advice, see pics below. Please don't flame me for the battery connection, still waiting for the proper connectors to come in the mail.

The boat is really fast and fun to run! I have borrowed a radar gun from my father in law and will post speed results and video when I can get another person to help me collect the data. Thanks again for the advice!

IMG_1518.jpeg60999314688__6EC4E509-6E4E-4D1E-89BC-A548960AED25.jpg

Back