New guy salvaging a Dumas DV60

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogie bogaard

been working on this a bit over a year now, started as a craigslist buy for like $60 bare hull in ROUGH shape, got it smoothed out, ran it over last summer with a weedwacker motor (stihl 4mix 30cc) and tore it back down to make it pretty this winter....LOL as it started vs where its at now... boat 1.jpeg BOAT 2.jpg

and a short vid of how it ran on a stinger with a 1678 cast aluminum prop this past summer...

Wow that's one Heck of a transformation...I like the new paint....Rattle can or gun.?...well done
and I like the video...

that is Duplicolor Paint Shop gloss clear that i dumped .025" metal into and shook up, applied with a Harbor Freight HVLP gun modded with a 2.2mm tip to flow the flake better than the 1.4mm tip they come with. the tip is actually for gel coat applications...LOL

i want to get at least 2 more heavy coats on it before a plain clear coat for the depth of the flake to pop, and to even out a few spots that went on heavier than others... the goal is to no longer see the black basecoat...LOL

Nice....the spray tip...is that a self modded item...and the clear.. Andy particular type..I have used the 2k stuff from Spray max...lays down nice and no reaction with any paint

The tip was purchased from ebay, and slightly modded to fit my gun. As for the pait, it is not a 2k clear, just a single pour out of the can and spray

got the last coat of flake on it, now just need to paint the bottom creme pearl white, and clear over thhe whole thing, wet sand, and buff. then get to mocking up the new powerplant for the boat, a B.H.Hanson ported G230pum... should have a bit more pep than the 10,000 rpm rev limited 4 stroke at 1.4hp... LOL
20200309_110653.jpg

Brad, sorry for such a delay in response time... had issues getting back on with a facebook login after the forum update...LOL

Some more updates... no more wrap to center, and we are almost ready to launch, still need to seal the stuffing tube, and get the carb tweaked, but the sides are painted and she is ready to go(almost, just need to stop being lazy and pull the stinger off and seal it up)

20200417_110550.jpg
20200324_130705.jpg

Stupid question... are auto bailers worth the effort to install or are they a pain in the butt hole in your boat? I have a pair i can install but was unsure...

I just drill a hole in the transom. you should have pool noodles stuffed in along the stringers and in the nose for floatation so the boat doesn't sink if it dies.

Brad

I would do that, but i dont have a radio box... my servos are just mounted to the rails and the reciever is taped to the rudder servo, hence why i want to try and keep water out...LOLi do have the whole nose filled with foam, but not the sides yet...

good/bad news on the build... got it wet last night! sucker books out real good, initial pipe length of 13" to belly is good, but.... didnt get to play very long, as i didnt factor cable windup into the setup when i made the switch to round collet from a square drive clutch on the weedeater motor... the flex lasted about 60 sec before it pulled itself right out of the ferrule on the propshaft... already emailed Al at B.H. Hanson and he is shipping me out a square drive ferrule for the prop shaft...

as a side note, a prather 270 stainless is very peppy out of the hole on this setup so far, will have to do some more testing....

Latest posts

Back