New boater needs help

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hydro Junkie

Okay guys, trying to help out someone in another forum. Here's his initial post and a video showing his boat on the water:
Hi all I have a boat I 3d printed and threw a old engine in , but I don't know much about boats so I was wondering if I could have some wisdom.
here is a video of what it is doing: vimeo.com/user113047867

youtube.com/watch?v=JCS-BeZl_ng&feature=youtu.be

close up on prop and positioning:

youtube.com/watch?v=JCS-BeZl_ng&feature=youtu.be

Better video in daylight: coming soon

any help is appreciated

all i does it shoot water up and doesnt go forward very fast at all

The video he linked in the post is very dark, meaning you can't see much. The link below is much brighter so it's easier to see:

youtu.be/snPb-kyyMB4
My thoughts, after seeing the dark video are included in the reply I sent, pasted below:

Was hard to see anything as there isn't a lot of light. What I can see is a lot of splash and very little push. That tells me it's one or more of three things going on:
1) The prop is too high in the water
2) The boat is improperly balanced
3) The prop isn't a good match to the boat

Anyone have any thoughts?

Hard to see through the snow :) Can you post a picture of the back of the boat out of the water with the prop on? I can't say for sure but I think at the very least your prop may be too high and maybe too small.

Got a video of the boat out of the water, the prop is definitely part of the problem. With the thickness of the blades and the size of the hub, it's got to be causing issues. Kind of what is to be expected from a printed prop. What do you all think? Here's the video link:
youtube.com/watch?v=92Ibi8VHdx0

Your prop is huge! I would start by try a smaller prop and see if you can get it to hook up. Strut depth looks like it is a good starting point. Your printed prop may also be a problem. There is a lot that goes into prop design. It is effectively a pump and if the configuration is not right it will not pump properly.

I would say it is the prop. And if the image was not flipped in the video, it looked like the guy had a right hand prop....

Edit: I meant to say the prop was put on reversed

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back