Need help with 3D printing RC Boat with Stratasys J850 Pro

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ercangenis

Hello everyone, I am pretty new to the RC world as well as to 3D printing. I have access to Stratasys J850Pro to print an RC boat for myself. I am trying to build this boat from thingiverse. However, whatever orientation or slicing I tried, I couldn't get the printer to print the the hull empty inside :/ Is there anyone that can help me with that?

Also is there any forum area here that helps amateurs like me to get started with the first builds? :)

Appreciate the help and glad to be here!

My print video for attention :)

Cheers!

Attachments

• RC_Print.mov
    37.6 MB
if you are printing it with the bottom of the boat facing up.. the printer has to add something (Support) to support the open structure. This then is removed.

Grim

if you are printing it with the bottom of the boat facing up.. the printer has to add something (Support) to support the open structure. This then is removed.

Grim

Thanks for the response! I tried that orientation but the printer still filled it with regular material not support. I wonder if there is something else I need to do or maybe I should try printing in couple pieces idk :/

If its filling then the boat is a filled structure.. not open.. yes?

I have checked others that printed the same boat and they are not filled because when it is filled then the boat gets VERY heavy like over 1.5kg unfortunately :) and it has hard time to float.. I wonder if the StrataSys software (GrabCad) is changing the structure of the file to print. It's hard to find people with the same printer to ask.

In Creality Slicer menu goto, expert, click on switch to full settings, click on expert again and then open expert settings.
In open expert settings click on Black Magic and spiralize the outer contour.

Give that a try.
Sorry I just read you are using a different slicer....

Fons

In Creality Slicer menu goto, expert, click on switch to full settings, click on expert again and then open expert settings.
In open expert settings click on Black Magic and spiralize the outer contour.

Give that a try.
Sorry I just read you are using a different slicer....

Fons

Thanks man! Please forgive my dumbness but I tried using many different slicers but they are all asking something about G codes, extruders etc which my printer does not have.. So, I am not sure if I can still use those slicers with a random info put in those sections :/

Thanks man! Please forgive my dumbness but I tried using many different slicers but they are all asking something about G codes, extruders etc which my printer does not have.. So, I am not sure if I can still use those slicers with a random info put in those sections :/
I'm also learning about the 3D printer world.

There are lots of YouTube videos on 3D printing My favorites are:
https://www.youtube.com/c/CNCKitchen
https://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasSanladererhttps://www.youtube.com/c/MakersMuse
A quick search will turn up lots of others.

Lohring Miller

unfortunately most of those videos don’t apply to me since the printer I have is completely a different story.. thanks tho. I didn’t just come here without trying to do do it myself or without doingmy research.

People who are having the same problem in the future with PolyJet printers can use MeshMixer software and make the part "Hollow". You can also select the wall thickness and make some holes to empty the support material inside. I hope this helps someone in the future :)

Using the CURA slicer i came up with these. The bow looks like it is a solid print.
Bow.JPG

Rendering the "hull_back_190.stl" shows it to be hollow.hull_back_190.stL.JPG

I might try standing it up (see pic "hull_back_190.stl b) on the transom to not have any supports or fillers printed. See how that goes thru your slicer...

hull_back_190.stL b.JPG

Print your parts like Chris said, standing up. These are sliced with 4% gyroid infill. The designer says to print in vase or spiral mode. You can decide which way to go, but this is how you need to orient the parts.
1708635770377.png1708635894639.png

Back