Need Allison twin turbo dummy engine 1/8th scale

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Zaker Jr

Supporting Member
I'm looking for drawings or kit,templates or anything to build this dummy engine. The 3d product is not going to work for me. I'm coming up empty on line ,any help would be great,thanks!

Hey Ron,

Did you try Bill Brandt?
I may know of a customer that has printed some different engines,
if you would like I can see if he does the twin turbo Allison?

Thanks For Reading,

Mark Sholund

Hey Ron.
I'm going to need an 1/8 scale Allison engine with turbo's as well. I'm curious as to what you feel is not acceptable with the 3D version?? I have a 3D version of a driver... Have not tried to paint it yet. Driver came from Bill. Ken

I bought one from scale 3D. There were some mods I had to do for it to work in my application but I’ve got all that worked out. There were a couple of compromises yes, but I think it’s going to work just fine. I’m also curious what isn’t acceptable as well. I had built one many years ago from Newton plans and it was before 3D printing was a thing. There was no provision in the plan to add turbos so I had to get pretty creative with those. I made a decent looking motor but it weighed literally a pound. The 3d printed version weighs like 6 ounces. I used Rustoleum 2x paint and primer and think it looks pretty good. The compromises were that to get it sitting over and around the actual motor, I had to cut off a lot of the bottom of the block which led to omitting the gearbox. Also the 3D model seemed not as wide as the one I had built so I had to cut the space between the cold and hot part of the turbos and also add some tubing so the turbos actually sit to either side of the CMB. Here’s a pic:

A45752C8-2BEB-402B-A4C0-ED48C39FBB6B.jpeg

I'm looking for drawings or kit,templates or anything to build this dummy engine. The 3d product is not going to work for me. I'm coming up empty on line ,any help would be great,thanks!
David Newton has plans for both a turbo and non-turbo Allison, along with the Merlin. You have to remember, these were hand drawn roughly 50 years ago so there may some tweaking that needs to be done to make everything fit properly. David can be reached here in the forum, his screen name is miniCzar or through his website at http://www.newtonmarine.com

Larry is, unfortunately, getting out of the business. Last time I talked to him, he basically told me it was getting to the point that it wasn't really cost effective to do any more. He's not building or racing boats and, like many others, he's looking at retiring. Haven't talked to him in a long time so he may have already retired

Looks got to me Rich!! 🙂 Ken
Thank you Ken! Would have been a lot easier project if this boat was known to run with a cowl. I know they attempted it in some test runs or maybe one heat but didn’t work out. I couldn’t see mounting the CMB in the normal angled position because for one it would be too high and too far back. So I cut a hole and put a belly pan in and mounted the motor lower and level. This way it appears a little more scale. It’s been an adventure. We will see how it runs.

David Newton has plans for both a turbo and non-turbo Allison, along with the Merlin. You have to remember, these were hand drawn roughly 50 years ago so there may some tweaking that needs to be done to make everything fit properly. David can be reached here in the forum, his screen name is miniCzar or through his website at http://www.newtonmarine.com
thank you

Hey Ron.
I'm going to need an 1/8 scale Allison engine with turbo's as well. I'm curious as to what you feel is not acceptable with the 3D version?? I have a 3D version of a driver... Have not tried to paint it yet. Driver came from Bill. Ken
alot of mods to get it over a CMB Greenie. I can do it ,just looking for different options.
thank you

Ron, I had the same problem when I built the motor for my Bardahl. The 3D motor is very nice with lots of detail but will not fit over the 65 engine. I then got a wooden kit from a place in Indiana. Sorry I do not remember the name but I am sure you scale guys do. It may have been Bradley Maglinger that put me that direction.
But it was not going to work either. But the construction method gave me an idea. I was able to build a new crankcase base and use the 3D motor parts to finish.
Here are some pictures and I have more. Also I still have some detail to go. KIMG0602.JPGKIMG0603.JPGKIMG0604.JPGKIMG0605.JPGKIMG0606.JPGKIMG0607.JPGKIMG0608.JPGKIMG0609.JPGKIMG0608.JPGKIMG0617.JPGKIMG0618.JPG

Ron, I had the same problem when I built the motor for my Bardahl. The 3D motor is very nice with lots of detail but will not fit over the 65 engine. I then got a wooden kit from a place in Indiana. Sorry I do not remember the name but I am sure you scale guys do. It may have been Bradley Maglinger that put me that direction.
But it was not going to work either. But the construction method gave me an idea. I was able to build a new crankcase base and use the 3D motor parts to finish.
Here are some pictures and I have more. Also I still have some detail to go. View attachment 296552View attachment 296553View attachment 296554View attachment 296555View attachment 296556View attachment 296557View attachment 296558View attachment 296559View attachment 296558View attachment 296560View attachment 296561
thank you Mark!!!!

That is a pretty neat little motor cradle there Mark. I like how it just pops forward for starting and hinges back into place.
Mike

Back