Name that hull?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin Pink

I know someone is going to state the obvious and say "its a hitech marine race boat" except I can't find a single thing on the googles for any rc boats with the name hitech. It's just a vinyl sticker anyways so I suppose the previous owner could have just stuck it on there. I bought it roughly 10 - 15 years ago on ebay, pretty sure it was just an independent seller. I could have sworn it was listed as a "Lee" or "Lee craft" maybe. It's eerily similar to a lynx or vans tunnel except the nose cone is much different. Just curious if anyone has any knowledge as to what I have here.

It’s a copy of a lynx, unless someone destroyed the nose on their lynx and patched it like that.
Pretty sure it’s a splash though. As long as the boat is built properly and not warped you have a great hull!
Here’s the boat they molded it off ofD1EC2681-6BB5-4C03-8F3D-77AE485551F5.jpeg

It’s a copy of a lynx, unless someone destroyed the nose on their lynx and patched it like that.
Pretty sure it’s a splash though. As long as the boat is built properly and not warped you have a great hull! That was a problem with a lot of the copies that the boat would come out twisted and built improperly. Can’t beat an original!!
Here’s the boat they molded it off ofView attachment 281255

Pretty sure it’s a splash though. As long as the boat is built properly and not warped you have a great hull!
Here’s the boat they molded it off ofView attachment 281255

Thank you for the reply, it doesn't appear that this hull has ever been in a wreck because I'm pretty sure it's never even seen water yet, lol. I actually really like the lynx so I was kinda happy to hear that this was similar. Whats the best way to check if it's warped? Just set it on the a flat surface and see if the rear of the sponsons are both making contact evenly? Or are there other important areas to look at as well? Like I said, this boat has been laying around my shop for probably 10 years, I'm not too hopeful that its even straight anymore. I actually just ordered a Taboo anyways, so I'm not sure what my plans are with this hull now anyways, maybe one nitro and one electric.

Thanks for the info, bought a lot of molds from the guy who had HiTech some years ago, he signed several papers describing the hulls and I got written permission to market HiTech boats along with my own hulls and the Oval Master line I bought from Don. I then was told he sold other sets to other people, I have only made the Thunderboat for friends and family. Still have not pulled a sport hydro (looks very similar to the PI with some mods to deck and ride surfaces) or crackerbox. In the mix was 20, 40, 60, and a gas size tunnel, they are this boat. I have asked several people about its lineage but this is the first time I have seen one, OB racing is not too big in my area. Guess it is just as well I have not made them for sale, just family, his word seems to have had no value at all. Glad I did not drive back over for the 60s Falcon Pickup (small ranchero) he had. Also, the cowl molds I got are very smooth, no compound curves as shown here but the deck with the bump nose and the hull bottom are this boat.

Thanks for the info, bought a lot of molds from the guy who had HiTech some years ago, he signed several papers describing the hulls and I got written permission to market HiTech boats along with my own hulls and the Oval Master line I bought from Don. I then was told he sold other sets to other people, I have only made the Thunderboat for friends and family. Still have not pulled a sport hydro (looks very similar to the PI with some mods to deck and ride surfaces) or crackerbox. In the mix was 20, 40, 60, and a gas size tunnel, they are this boat. I have asked several people about its lineage but this is the first time I have seen one, OB racing is not too big in my area. Guess it is just as well I have not made them for sale, just family, his word seems to have had no value at all. Glad I did not drive back over for the 60s Falcon Pickup (small ranchero) he had. Also, the cowl molds I got are very smooth, no compound curves as shown here but the deck with the bump nose and the hull bottom are this boat.

So this actually is a Hitech boat, I guess if the guy sold everything off it makes sense why I can't find anything on the internet called Hitech marine anymore. Good info though. Who came first, Lynx or Hitech, who copied who? I don't know much about RC boat history obviously.
Do you remember when he sold everything to you? I could probably try to go through my ebay history to see exactly when I bought it. Assuming ebay goes back that far of course. My best estimate is 10 -15 years.

Yeah, I promise I'm not trying to stir the pot, I genuinely don't know whats out there or who made what or what came before something else. So hopefully nobody takes it that way. I come from the RC car world, just trying to dip my toe in the pond finally.

I did just check to see if it was warped, a quick check anyways. It does appear to be twisted slightly. With the right sponson touching flat, the rear of the left sponson is up about 2-3mm. Not sure what is considered an "acceptable" tolerance, nor do I know how to remedy it. Just throw some weights on it and leave it for another 10 years I guess, ha.

Just my opinion, unless you plan to get into competition, that amount of twist isn't going to impact dramatically how that boat runs.
JD

Eventually it would be nice to get into competing, but I think it will be a while before I'm competitive enough to even notice that the hull is a issue. It's probably a good hull to start with actually seeing as It'll probably be upside down more than right side up. Thank you for the honest opinion though, it's good to hear it's at least usable after all these years of hoarding.
I do think there is a local club here in Charleston SC, I was going to try and find some of those members to get in touch with, assuming they run tunnels.

That is for certain a splashed Lynx. That is probably the weirdest modification I have ever seen anybody make to one. You see stuff like this pop up from time to time and you just have to wonder what the heck people are thinking. LOL If you change ANYTHING on that original boat you will just screw it up. The smaller a boat is the harder it is to get it bugged out and just little things can jack up a 3.5cc hull completely up. You have invested in it so just rig it out and see what it does. That is probably the most splashed boat in R/C history.

How did I do Jerry? I'm trying to turn a new leaf and not be so cranky and ill. :rolleyes:

That is for certain a splashed Lynx. That is probably the weirdest modification I have ever seen anybody make to one. You see stuff like this pop up from time to time and you just have to wonder what the heck people are thinking. LOL If you change ANYTHING on that original boat you will just screw it up. The smaller a boat is the harder it is to get it bugged out and just little things can jack up a 3.5cc hull completely up. You have invested in it so just rig it out and see what it does. That is probably the most splashed boat in R/C history.

How did I do Jerry? I'm trying to turn a new leaf and not be so cranky and ill. :rolleyes:
Splashed must be boat slang for "knockoff", learned something new. If it makes you feel any better I literally just ordered a Taboo earlier today. So hopefully we can still be friends......

We can for sure be friends. This is not directed at you but I just want to see people learn about their models and you can't really learn anything from splashing. I wish there were as many builders / designers in tunnels as there are in riggers but it never has been like that and I don't think it ever will be.

Like a fine wine, aging is a good thing.
JD

Last edited:
Back