NAMBA District 19

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Hobbs

Legend of the NW
Vendor
NAMBA District 19 just reached 300 members. This is a good example of results that can be reached when the members, clubs and District Director make a concerned effort to attract new people to our hobby/sport. District 19 is not the only NAMBA District to show growth. Along with growth in Districts 9, 16 and 20, model boaters are showing that with effort we can bring new people into model boating.

I want to congratulate the members for their efforts to grow model boating.

Al Hobbs

Thank You Al

As a relatively new member in District 19 I have to say they are one of the most helpful, friendly and active groups of boaters I have met and raced and just spent time with.

Looking forward to October when i will be back down there.

Richard Hartley

I think that all model boaters are a helpful bunch and friend too. Mr. Hobbs has been in model boating for years and I first meet him at a race in Edmonton, Alberta, so he does get around to many races all over! If you haven't meet him yet chances are you will if you race,

Brad

Last edited by a moderator:
Al, can you tell us what D19 has been doing to increase their membership? I would love to hear how each of the districts are recruiting new members!

They are doing the best thing we all can do for model boating. Have fun at all the activities. People want to be part of activities that are fun, that develop friendships, and that respect each other.

I just reinstated my NAMBA membership in D19 after a 12 year hiatus. A former club member went through the trouble of googling me and finding out where I work, then left a message inviting me to come out to their Labor Day Race. He setup a couple loaner boats for me and my son and I was able to run three classes that day. Thanks Mark! The race was relaxed, no drama with guys fighting about lane infractions or bouy cuts, and EVERYONE there helped out with a smile on their face. Whether it was pitting for someone else, setting up the course or just trouble shooting a boat.

Al Waters made insurance simple for the four new boaters who showed up and provided awesome mentorship. SD Gassers is a great club in San Diego who is promoting the ease of boating and making getting into the hobby simple with loaner boats that turn into first boats for beginners. Their website was updated that night and has been kept current with points and race day photos. The pond was mobbed with people just enjoying the weather and Mission Bay park during the Labor Day weekend. The racers were very gracious with the constant barrage of questions from passerby's like "how much are these?" "How fast do they go?" etc. You never know who is a future model boater who may just breathe new life into the club.

The race was organized but flexible to accommodate FUN!

Al, can you tell us what D19 has been doing to increase their membership? I would love to hear how each of the districts are recruiting new members!

That is great to hear and could serve as an example for all of us. Time for a little forward thinking from the top as well. Nice job guys and gals!

The SD Gassers have done a phenomenal job on focusing on the grass roots of model boating. The club atmosphere and focus on local racing has created a great group of guys that continues to gain members. They've caught flack from other D19 members for not attending D19 races. It's ironic because, the district racers lose sight on the importance of the clubs and the local presence of model boating.

This group continues to grow and I've talked with a few of their members along the way concerning growth and what not. They are content and focused on the local growth. Hopefully one day they will have a solid enough base that jumping to the district level of travel and racing won't diminish the regularly schedule club activities. It's great to see the public down there constantly and engaging with the model boaters. Kudos to Mark Williamson, Rick Cotton, Peter Piraino, Tom Hockenberry, Al Waters and others who have all been apart of the grass roots growth of this club! There is no doubt that their growth as a club has helped the numbers in D19!

Latest posts

Back