My 1st RC Boat Paint Job

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally, finished the paint job, I used Spraymax 2K clear, got lots orange peel, I did 5-6 coats and wet sanded with 800, 1500, 2500, 3000 grits then buffed and polished, @Rich Jones did you get orange peel with your Spraymax 2K clear ?

Attachments

• My Build 35.jpg
    My Build 35.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 0
  • My Build 38.jpg
    My Build 38.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 0
  • My Build 39.jpg
    My Build 39.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 0
Finally, completed the paint job, I used Spraymax 2K clear and got 100% orange peel covered full body of the hull, I wet sanded with 800, 1500, 2500, 300 grits, buffed and polished, @Rich Jones, did you have orange peel when you used the Spraymax 2K clear ?

Attachments

• My Build 35.jpg
    My Build 35.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 0
  • My Build 38.jpg
    My Build 38.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 0
  • My Build 39.jpg
    My Build 39.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 0
Finally, completed the paint job, I used Spraymax 2K clear and got 100% orange peel covered full body of the hull, I wet sanded with 800, 1500, 2500, 300 grits, buffed and polished, @Rich Jones, did you have orange peel when you used the Spraymax 2K clear ?
I did to some extent but never did anything about it. I meant to just never did. It was still nice and shiny. I think it has to do with temp and application. I think the closer to 80 you are the better. And I think there’s a trick to the distance and speed in which you apply as well.

I did to some extent but never did anything about it. I meant to just never did. It was still nice and shiny. I think it has to do with temp and application. I think the closer to 80 you are the better. And I think there’s a trick to the distance and speed in which you apply as well.
Yea, I think you're correct, temp was a big factor, I painted when outside temp was 54 and inside the garage, I put a heater and set it to 70 so from what you've mentioned, there isn't a way to avoid orange peel and have to deal with it......I sanded and polished but there's some remaining but I think it's good enough.

Yea, I think you're correct, temp was a big factor, I painted when outside temp was 54 and inside the garage, I put a heater and set it to 70 so from what you've mentioned, there isn't a way to avoid orange peel and have to deal with it......I sanded and polished but there's some remaining but I think it's good enough.
After you beat it around a bit, you’ll forget about it. Unless it is gonna sit on a shelf then it will take some bumps and scrapes. I’m actually going to retire my Lauterbach I just built to occasional runs. I bought a couple of used hulls from a club member and those are going to be my go fast hulls. My girlfriend gets too stressed out about her boat getting damaged. I’m fine with that honestly.

Back