My 1st RC Boat Paint Job

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally, finished the paint job, I used Spraymax 2K clear, got lots orange peel, I did 5-6 coats and wet sanded with 800, 1500, 2500, 3000 grits then buffed and polished, @Rich Jones did you get orange peel with your Spraymax 2K clear ?

Attachments

• My Build 35.jpg
    My Build 35.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 0
  • My Build 38.jpg
    My Build 38.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 0
  • My Build 39.jpg
    My Build 39.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 0
Finally, completed the paint job, I used Spraymax 2K clear and got 100% orange peel covered full body of the hull, I wet sanded with 800, 1500, 2500, 300 grits, buffed and polished, @Rich Jones, did you have orange peel when you used the Spraymax 2K clear ?

Attachments

• My Build 35.jpg
    My Build 35.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 0
  • My Build 38.jpg
    My Build 38.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 0
  • My Build 39.jpg
    My Build 39.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 0
Finally, completed the paint job, I used Spraymax 2K clear and got 100% orange peel covered full body of the hull, I wet sanded with 800, 1500, 2500, 300 grits, buffed and polished, @Rich Jones, did you have orange peel when you used the Spraymax 2K clear ?
I did to some extent but never did anything about it. I meant to just never did. It was still nice and shiny. I think it has to do with temp and application. I think the closer to 80 you are the better. And I think there’s a trick to the distance and speed in which you apply as well.

I did to some extent but never did anything about it. I meant to just never did. It was still nice and shiny. I think it has to do with temp and application. I think the closer to 80 you are the better. And I think there’s a trick to the distance and speed in which you apply as well.
Yea, I think you're correct, temp was a big factor, I painted when outside temp was 54 and inside the garage, I put a heater and set it to 70 so from what you've mentioned, there isn't a way to avoid orange peel and have to deal with it......I sanded and polished but there's some remaining but I think it's good enough.

Yea, I think you're correct, temp was a big factor, I painted when outside temp was 54 and inside the garage, I put a heater and set it to 70 so from what you've mentioned, there isn't a way to avoid orange peel and have to deal with it......I sanded and polished but there's some remaining but I think it's good enough.
After you beat it around a bit, you’ll forget about it. Unless it is gonna sit on a shelf then it will take some bumps and scrapes. I’m actually going to retire my Lauterbach I just built to occasional runs. I bought a couple of used hulls from a club member and those are going to be my go fast hulls. My girlfriend gets too stressed out about her boat getting damaged. I’m fine with that honestly.

Latest posts

Back