My 1st Build (SLR Missile Thunderboat ZippKit)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I tried the Hot Air gun, It did soften up the epoxy but no luck on shifting the Chine far enough to correct my issue.
Thankfully I received confirmation on a package from the fine people at JMP Hobby Group, Zippkit.
Slow and careful removal is next..
Having today off is given me some time to do my homewerk on what the AoA, Break and cordline are, and what they mean.
"Dremel, Dremel, sand sand.

So I tried the Hot Air gun, It did soften up the epoxy but no luck on shifting the Chine far enough to correct my issue.
Thankfully I received confirmation on a package from the fine people at JMP Hobby Group, Zippkit.
Slow and careful removal is next..
Having today off is given me some time to do my homewerk on what the AoA, Break and cordline are, and what they mean.
"Dremel, Dremel, sand sand.
Lotsa luck. Take your time!

On a side note

I reached out to the Atlanta Club here in Georgia (AMB) for membership and they already have like over 200 boats entered for the Spring Nationals... I am planing on going to meet and greet so I can make some local contacts and see what I am in for.
I went ahead and put in the application for the IMPBA as well but I have not herd back with a Membership
I am shocked at the large numbers involved at my local level. It is GREAT ! I am looking forwards to getting my feet wet per say.

On a side note

I reached out to the Atlanta Club here in Georgia (AMB) for membership and they already have like over 200 boats entered for the Spring Nationals... I am planing on going to meet and greet so I can make some local contacts and see what I am in for.
I went ahead and put in the application for the IMPBA as well but I have not herd back with a Membership
I am shocked at the large numbers involved at my local level. It is GREAT ! I am looking forwards to getting my feet wet per say.
Most importantly, join that local club and participate in club functions, races, fun runs, whatever…. If you want to travel and race, great, but that club is your home base and the members will have a wealth of knowledge for you. I’m often jealous of the rc boaters in the south because it is less of a seasonal activity. Up here in Ohio, sometimes you can run in Nov ( I did this year) or MAYBE Dec if you’re lucky, but then you have to wait until at least March, if not April.

The fact that I having to cut parts off my baby only strengthens my resolve to do it right... Just wish I had more patients with the epoxy. (DA LEARNIN CURVE) 😷..
What was very nice was the color of the epoxy is just dark enough to where it was like the perfect pencil line to follow.
Now I can CLAMP the *#%$ out of chine with much more accurately.
Sponson_01a.jpg Sponson_02a.jpg
Happy Building.
C

Homemade PVC pipe clamps work well for getting in odd spots. 4" pipe cut 3/8 wide work well. ;)
I made up about 30 of these last year before I put decks on my Backlash. They work so well I’m surprised no one has produced them commercially. At least I haven’t seen them but maybe they exist I don’t know. I sliced them up with my miter saw and wow did that make a mess but it was worth it.

I made up about 30 of these last year before I put decks on my Backlash. They work so well I’m surprised no one has produced them commercially. At least I haven’t seen them but maybe they exist I don’t know. I sliced them up with my miter saw and wow did that make a mess but it was worth it.
I need to come up with some reverse pliers to open them up one handed, especially if you made smaller ones. ;)

Its so Nice to come home from work and find boxes of goodies on the fnt porch.
I received the new Chines and Spray rails from JMP Hobby Group (ZippKits) and spent the better part of the evening lining up and pre-fitting until I was sure they were going to STAY in place.

I cant say enough about the great customer service and speed Zippkits R/C boats get stuff out. I found out the full hardware kits are back in-stock for the SLR Missile. I know a few people who have been waiting for it.

I let the pieces set up overnight, and I when in to check out my hand-E-work this morning, all was right with the world.
NEXT:
I was able to place the forward Non-Trips, 4hrs later I epoxied down the ride pads with the correct overhang.
Sponson_03.jpeg

The Bottom is almost Fin. NOT! 😆
Oh no! SNOW is coming to Ga. ? ❄ I dont believe either one will happen today.
NEXT:
For the small gaps and seams, I have some of the Micro Balloon additive to mix with the epoxy that will take up the rest of the day. . . . Time for some Body Work.
On Sunday I will spend the time sanding and finishing up the bottom before I turn Her Over.

Question:
Before I cut the tabs on the Jig, should I seal up the bottom with the finishing resin or ?
To you all who have helped me to this point THANK YOU. You are all appreciated.
C

Its so Nice to come home from work and find boxes of goodies on the fnt porch.
I received the new Chines and Spray rails from JMP Hobby Group (ZippKits) and spent the better part of the evening lining up and pre-fitting until I was sure they were going to STAY in place.

I cant say enough about the great customer service and speed Zippkits R/C boats get stuff out. I found out the full hardware kits are back in-stock for the SLR Missile. I know a few people who have been waiting for it.

I let the pieces set up overnight, and I when in to check out my hand-E-work this morning, all was right with the world.
NEXT:
I was able to place the forward Non-Trips, 4hrs later I epoxied down the ride pads with the correct overhang.
View attachment 299710

The Bottom is almost Fin. NOT! 😆
Oh no! SNOW is coming to Ga. ? ❄ I dont believe either one will happen today.
NEXT:
For the small gaps and seams, I have some of the Micro Balloon additive to mix with the epoxy that will take up the rest of the day. . . . Time for some Body Work.
On Sunday I will spend the time sanding and finishing up the bottom before I turn Her Over.

Question:
Before I cut the tabs on the Jig, should I seal up the bottom with the finishing resin or ?
To you all who have helped me to this point THANK YOU. You are all appreciated.
C
Glad you got that sorted out. Hopefully someone who has built this kit can chime in on when you cut the tabs. I will say whatever you do, make sure you’ve sealed the inside, installed the turn fin t-nuts or hunk of Aluminum and anything else you need to do in there before the decks go on. When you do the decks, the boat should be sitting on the jig and clamped to it however many clamps you can get on there. Once the deck is on, the hull will be locked in whatever shape it was when the epoxy dries so make sure it’s in the shape of the building surface. This is the part where any minor twists in the hull have been created in the framing process (if any) will magically go away.

Ray, it's interesting you said that, using sawdust. That is exactly what we did when we restored the Slo-Mo-Shun V back in the early 1990s. My first task on that project was to take several woodblocks and turn it into sawdust with a 90-degree grinder. The sawdust was then mixed with the epoxy to thicken it up. Here's a picture of the boat I took a few months ago at the HARMGOPR0282.JPG

Then you might like this tooGOPR0275.JPG
Bill Boeing's 1956 Miss Wahoo, named after his wife's home town. This one, unlike the "Mo" above, was a recreation built from pictures and plans. It has been run on several occasions, is powered by an Allison 1710 and skinned with real mahogany plywood, the bottom having been also laminated and screwed to a 1/16th thick aluminum outer skin to protect the wood.
Had I known you like bottom shots, I would have tried to get a few of them as well

Last edited:
Was just thinking, the Missile has drop sponsons. A picture of one of those might be a good motivator.
GOPR0287.JPG
This one, IIRC, is the 1960 Miss Lumberville painted as the Notre Dame. In this shot, it is just about done with a major maintenance period that included a repaint from being an Oberto and a partial rebuild, among other things

You can cut it off the jig once all the bottom pieces are on, seal it all up when finished exterior that is. I've built 3 of these so far

Attachments

• 20200523_200127.jpg
    20200523_200127.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 27
  • 20200503_144635.jpg
    20200503_144635.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 27
  • 20200308_124419.jpg
    20200308_124419.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 28
  • 20200118_201433.jpg
    20200118_201433.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 28
1960 Miss Lumberville painted as the Notre Dame. In this shot, it is just about done with a major maintenance period that included a repaint from being an Oberto and a partial rebuild, among other things
OUTSTANDING looking ladies H.J. thank you,
For me it is the wood in the form of a magic carpet and instead of a genie it has raw horsepower to give it flight.
I was able to get more done on my SLR T-Boat.
Once the Bottoms of the sponsons were covered and dry, the filling and sanding I cut the tabs and epoxied some extra 1 1/2 wide strips on the bottoms seam. Will let that sit and do the fiberglass tomorrow.
Also, The JIG I used to set up the bulkheads was made so I could turn it over and have the right size for the top.
I made the nose supports to mach the rise of the hull right to the edge of the break at Bulkhead 3. the rest of the bottom is 100% square and flat. With it starting to Snow here Maybe I can get another full day to build. Or. . .
2022_Snow_01.jpeg Just Starting to come down Flip_02.jpeg Sanding has commenced.
Flip_01.jpeg flip_05.jpeg ScrewNglue_01.jpeg
It was nice to see the top side of my Lady, Admittedly, Getting this curve/angle for under the Nose of the Boat was a real challenge. Both sides are screwed from the base up as well as glued. The Sponsons fit nice on the JIG.
I wonder how much snow we will see tonight?
Be safe everyone and Keep building.
C

Attachments

• Flip_03.jpeg
    Flip_03.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 16
Back