Motor location

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richard,

Install a new turnfin a little bit wider from leading edge to trailing edge.

Install a stronger rudder servo and put a ABC 2117-19-38% on it and it

will run like a champion.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

I know guys that have had that same issue.. 

Seems to me they switched boat brands.. not sure they were able to completely cure the issue.

Grim

To measure the balance/CG

Purchase 3 inexpensive food scales and place one under each sponson and transom with the boat level

Generaly  33% of the total weight at each point is generally ideal

Keep the thoughts coming
I did not build this boat and as I look I am finding small issues like turn fin lines not parallel with hull bottom, strut bottom surface about 1/16 in above rear ride surface bottom
I have a 200ozin servo installed but will change it out for a new one
Will check CG again although it seems ok
Thank you for the input
Richard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richard,

The turnfin is too small front to back.

It will turn better lap times with a wider fin.

Look at the current JAE boats and see how big their fins are. Easy change that Will Make A Big Difference. 

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Will u try to get new turn fin ?  I did change turn fin flat to my SGX 45  better easy control  

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Allan I will try to get a new fin   going back through set up also

I have found several things that were not as specified in set up manual so will correct those too

Richard

I know sever people including myself that have put a Nova 46 in a older SGX and have never had a problem with it hooking with the standard turn fin. If the turn fin is not set parallel with the tub it will cause problems

Start with changing prop. Then try something else. Changing more than one thing at a time is not wise. Prop seems obviously wrong.

The rudder needs to be the same depth as the turn fin. 

Draw a line on the bend lines of the fin. now hold the boat out away from your body and make the line parallel to the tub bottom.

Allan I will try to get a new fin   going back through set up also

I have found several things that were not as specified in set up manual so will correct those too

Richard
Will contact to Dick Tyndal   I bought it in few year ago but Is he make  for any turn fin or retire? 

The rudder needs to be the same depth as the turn fin. 
Draw a line on the bend lines of the fin. now hold the boat out away from your body and make the line parallel to the tub bottom.
Thank You
Just finished that alignment
Although the fin is not same depth as rudder
Rudder 3” fin 2” measured from bottom of tub
Will try 1655, 1457, and 2217 those are props I have had success with on other 45 boats

Tomorrow will drive to Tucson to test again
Also taking my SGX 67 boat along as it runs great
I need stick time
Richard

Thank You
Just finished that alignment
Although the fin is not same depth as rudder
Rudder 3” fin 2” measured from bottom of tub
Will try 1655, 1457, and 2217 those are props I have had success with on other 45 boats

Tomorrow will drive to Tucson to test again
Also taking my SGX 67 boat along as it runs great
I need stick time
Richard

It relay need to be the same length. If not it will throw off the balance of the boat as in turning geometry. 

That may be why it dose funny things?

Use the table as the measuring point after you have the tub leveled on the table.

The tub has to be level to do all the set up work. 

Let me explain how I set up my SGX that works for me.

Take all the shims out of the boom tubes to start off. Set the boat on the table no fin no rudder on it.

Now put a digital level on the top of the tub. next put shims under the rear shoes till the tub is level. dose not mater how much you use just get it level.

Now put the level on the top of each sponson and see where you are at. 

Now shim the boom tubes till you get a little angle with the sponson  tips down. 1/2 deg to 1 deg just make them both the same. more angle tighter the front end will be.

make sure you keep checking the tub is level as you go. May have to adjust the shims under the shoes.

then measure the distance from the tub to the sponsons and make the right front one 1/16" less than the rest.

Now put the strut on the table and give it 1/2 deg down in the back. I use a 1/4" rod in the strut to set the level on.

Now set the turn fin as we talked. then cut the rudder the same length with a slight angle on the bottom so it is shorter on the back side.   

If that boat don't run like that I will kiss your well you get it..........

If it comes to the point I need a turn fin to get this set up can I convince you to make one for me.
I could either send this one as a pattern or just give you the dimensions I need
Richard

Back