Monos built strickly for SAW?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andy if that block is high and dry it's legal.

D.
So if the "block" is built from wood or glass and is built as part of the hull and it's "High and dry" is it legal too? How do we determine "high and dry"?
Yes sir, wood, glass,or part of the hull. As long as the "block" is not a wetted surface when the boat is at racing speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
hello

I would have the same question, what is the geometry & dimensions ratio of the northwind?

is it that hull? (down side view)

d01.jpg

Section # 23

Page # 2

Section Name:

DEEP VEE

Revised 3/15/06

5. Gull wing or tunnel hulls are not allowed.
Those are the deep vee rules, not the mono rules. In any case I don't see any mention of wings except the batwing that would probably be illegal in any case.

Lohring Miller

hello

I would have the same question, what is the geometry & dimensions ratio of the northwind?

is it that hull? (down side view)
No, that's not a Northwind. If I remember correctly, the boat pictured is a Mirage. The mono hull was manufactured by Power Products in the 80's. Howard Power used to write a boating column RCM magazine.

thanks for reply

I also submit to you this picture of a cao project model for a saw 21 mono, il was designed some years ago after J Finch record with K Portley

at that time John gave some informations (on Intlwers) about general dimensions concerning his boat, so I tried to draw that model with my students (I teach engineering in France tech college)

if you need, I can give you more images so you can comment this concept - John point of view would be very appreciated

as you know, we use mostly low nitro in europe (25%) - so it's harder for us to reach high speeds

regards-GL

Sans titre 1.jpg

The IMPBA stepped mono rule needs to be changed to reflect the technological advances in real racing mono design.
No need to change the rules. The mono rules we have now are simple and still somewhat vague. We don't need to complicate them any more.

Our 39" microBurst has a solid 1" X 1" square aluminum block on the transom to extend the strut back. This is not a lot different the the first boat in Christian pics. So is the back of my square block now the transom and the original transom is now a step?
Yeah but they dont allow steps Andy, thats caveman. Alot of the new modern monos have steps, no need to stay in the dark ages simply to prevent complication. Honestly I never understood complicated in that sense. They have rules we just follow them. If we are constanly looking for grey areas why have rules at all? No matter, to not allow stepped monos in the mono class is backwards. Making them compete with hydros is really backwards. If were to be representative of the real boats, which is whats implied by the need to have sponsor logos, numbers, and drivers, then why not be totally accurate and allow stepped monos?I like new stuff.

JMO

Hugh

Not made for saw but this summer I have tryed to air the hull to reduce drag, this was made on a hull with heatracing setup. In calm water there is a gain but in real rough water it's hard to say if it doing any good. Key to success was that no bad habbits came out of it!

Link to pics on two diffrent hull bottoms.

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?app=gallery&user=12926

My gameplan was to be able to use a bit more wet setup with same or less drag then before. Lap record on the first race, not that bad!

Rickard

3 - D DEMON MONO

2u8gyue.jpg

25hdeyu.jpg

n3opp2.jpg

70wftx.jpg

the boat pictured is a Mirage. The mono hull was manufactured by Power Products in the 80's. Howard Power used to write a boating column RCM magazine
I remember the Mirage, Howard's ran very fast back then. I used to get a lot of items from Howard (Power Products), as well as much great info from his R/C Modeler Magazine column. Wish he was still around running boats.
I would kill to have an original (new) Northwind 40/60 kit. What ever became of Ed Fisher? I can remember (as a young teenager) Jean Adams, from Los Angeles, would run his Northwind 20 powered by a Super Tigre X-15, it was lightning fast, much faster than most of the 20/40-sized powered mono's of that time. The Northwind had a very wide and shallow transom/length ratio, gave the illusion much like a "kite".

Funny, at that time the A-Mono class (which eventually became .21ci) was dominated by .19ci engines (converted to marine use). At that time the most popular .20 (or "A") class motor was the Veco .19 (with an Octura "Kool Klamp").

Tom Hammer has built I believe 14 iterations of his infamous TomCat mono. I know he uses them for both SAW and 2-lap, but they really seem to be intended for SAW. Very unique boats but incredibly difficult to get running straight. Of the few pases Tom has made the boat did airout nicely and shows the potential. I am not sure how secret Tom is about his designs so I won't divulge any details, but if you come out to the Legg Lake SAW's he is happy to chat.

Here is a pic of Tom at one of the SAW event's. DSCN6900.JPG

I gave my very vintage Northwind to Darren Jordan. If you contact him he might not need it anymore.

Lohring Miller

Back