ML Boatworks GM-480 Gas Race Mono glass hull design has begun

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With all those pics being said..This first one, is a 10s Lipo setup, with FE rails. You will notice the hatch opening is trimmed square. I will do a lexan hatch in that area. The Gas version will have different rails, and the opening will be cut bigger, and curved up front. All will be carbon layups, 4 layers carbon on the transom, carbon rails with 4 layers of carbon, 3 of CSM, and 2 8oz bonding strips on each side. No wood, no rot. The gas one is currently being laid up, but I am awaiting some Limecikle flake for it. This hulls is pink splater, white splater, black splatter, with Masters Blue Flake (Ski Nautique/ Mastercraft oem flake), under hi gloss clear gel coat. The bare hull weight is around 5.5lbs without rails, the FE setup in RTR form looks to be around 17.5lbs, and the Zenoah layout with 300pum and gear, minus fuel is looking around 13.5lbs.

20210217_191024-X4.jpg

20210217_191032-X4.jpg

20210217_191038-X4.jpg
20210217_191051-X4.jpg

20210217_191110-X4.jpg

20210217_191119-X4.jpg

20210217_193136-X4.jpg

mike, looks really nice. i was wondering if you were going to get a lot of downforce with the windshield molded into the deck ?, maybe mold the windshield into the hatch and you have the option of more downforce with the hatch and less if you run no hatch and a carb shield?. but still a nice looking mono, too bad you didnt live near ct, it would be fun to test this out. good luck, looks like a winner already

really nice lookin hull ::: length and width
With all those pics being said..This first one, is a 10s Lipo setup, with FE rails. You will notice the hatch opening is trimmed square. I will do a lexan hatch in that area. The Gas version will have different rails, and the opening will be cut bigger, and curved up front. All will be carbon layups, 4 layers carbon on the transom, carbon rails with 4 layers of carbon, 3 of CSM, and 2 8oz bonding strips on each side. No wood, no rot. The gas one is currently being laid up, but I am awaiting some Limecikle flake for it. This hulls is pink splater, white splater, black splatter, with Masters Blue Flake (Ski Nautique/ Mastercraft oem flake), under hi gloss clear gel coat. The bare hull weight is around 5.5lbs without rails, the FE setup in RTR form looks to be around 17.5lbs, and the Zenoah layout with 300pum and gear, minus fuel is looking around 13.5lbs.

View attachment 288594

View attachment 288595

View attachment 288596
View attachment 288597

View attachment 288598

View attachment 288599

View attachment 288600

Great looking boat Mike. 2 questions. 1, is it shoe box or clam shell design? 2, any idea on the price?

Scott, the hull is 48" in length, dont remember the width off hand. It is a shoebox hull that will be bonded with epoxy/ 403 adhesive filler, and 2" fiberglass tape on the joints. Only layup schedule is carbon fiber, carbon fiber rails. 4 layers of carbon in the transom. Once tested, it will be available.on my website. Thanks!

Sounded like something was vibrating or out of balance in the driveline.... how does it handle at wide open throttle thru the turns ?

looks good on the straight away... 👍

Its FE, and lots of power, not sure what would be vibrating, all is tight and holding up great. Boat turns wonderfully. My problem is this local pond is only about 180ft wide, so i have to make 100ft max turns, and its nerve racking. I have been letting out most turns in fear of overshooting the turn and banking it. The times I nailed it, flawless tho! More will follow, only 4 runs have been made so far. The hardware adjustment was literally bolted on, and not even adjusted yet, 30% cog...and its already to this point. Exciting, at least to me it is!

Yeah, I guess FE's sound so different on the water after listening to it again for a few times, I think it is the water ripples slapping the hull.
kinda sounds like a vibration...

Let someone else who you trust drive it,,, My buddy and I would drive each other's drag cars and always turn better times!! kinda, "the drive it like ya stole it" thing !!

Turn that thing loose and carve some turns !!!

It will be down at a race lake in the coming weeks, along with the gas version, and another gas one I am building for a local racer.

I will tell you what, if that doesn't excite you, you are in the wrong hobby! That black is amazing!

i-7WHgmGF-X2.jpg

i-Qt7CrDT-X2.jpg

i-nKkQ5VP-X2.jpg

i-8QF5wpc-X2.jpg

i-gsvVfqp-X2.jpg

i-3mf8Szb-X2.jpg

Black looks great and contrary to what a lot of people think, they can be seen on the water. They're just a bear to keep water spots off of.

For those ready to see the Gas engine rail design, here it is. I got this hull, and another hull's rails epoxied in over the weekend. More soon...Oh, made a cool rail jig as well!

20210306_164820-X2.jpg

20210306_164809-X2.jpg

20210306_212103-X2.jpg

Finishing up this one tonight. Just need to tape off the outside seam and seal it up with epoxy and 406 cabosil. The inside is bonded with epoxy and 403 adhesive filler, and as you can see, 2" tape is epoxied in while the decks are still wet, and that tape runs from the bow back to where everyone likes to grab their hulls and pick them up to toss them.

20210308_211112-X2.jpg

20210308_211031-X2.jpg

20210308_211026-X2.jpg

20210309_071755-X2.jpg

Latest posts

Back