Lower unit ?'s

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin Pink

I was wondering if I could get some insight into what the brass nipples are for on most lower units available. Obviously they are for some type of lubricating purposes, but I always thought you just grease the flexshaft and that was sufficient enough (at least for the day of running). I can't really see forcing grease through the lower nipple unit it comes out the top one, in fact I'm pretty sure it would just force grease up into the motor before it came out the top nipple. Obviously nitros don't have that problem, but this particular lower unit is for electric motors anyways.

I could have sworn I've seen some pictures with little cans mounted that feed into these fittings, I can only assume it's some type of gravity fed oiling system, but I really have no clue.

So what is a good setup as far as proper oiling/greasing of the lower unit? Do I just grease it and block these fittings off while I'm running, or is there a better way of lubricating the lower unit.

20200704-094458.jpg

They are for lubricating the flex shaft if you go on to the sales thread and look at the 35 s s I have a lower unit that has an oil reservoir showing how they're hooked up. the oiler keeps oil going to the shafts lubricated through the whole run.

So what kind of oil do you run in them and how long does the tank usually last? Like, could you fill it and get an entire days worth of running out of it, or is it something that needs to be filled after every run? I'm guessing it's just gravity fed.

Who makes them?

Yes it's gravity-fed and you feel it every run and everyone has their own thoughts on what kind of oil to use I use 90 weight gear oil some people use synthetic I make my own bamboo products makes one

I make several Oiler systems, for nitro and FE. We typically run a 2:1 mixture of Marvel and STP in our Oiler. Fill it before every run.

Latest posts

Back