• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Int'l Waters and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Tool Wanted Looking for Old School Glow Plug Igniter/Wrench

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking to streamline my nitro starter kit even further by getting rid of the tethered glow igniter and swapping it for an all in one glow igniter wrench. Plus I don't like that cord dangling around a spinning belt. I posted on Anything Goes Nitro and Mark Anderson suggested that one of the old timers might have one at the bottom of one of your old tool boxes. I'd just need to most likely replace the Nicd. So if anyone has one I'll take two or three just for back-up purposes. Doing away with the whole starter box concept all together. Starter, Starter Battery, Glow Igniter, Wrench and Glow Plugs. Just need the Glow Igniter Wrench to make it complete.

Attachments

• 0429B8EA-ACB8-4092-ABC0-A37445E2E69A.jpeg
    0429B8EA-ACB8-4092-ABC0-A37445E2E69A.jpeg
    622 KB · Views: 3
Brian Bounds has a brand new one still in the package Nistarter it will need a battery I’m sure

Roger let me look. I may have 1 or 2 I will give you for the cost of shipping.

Kevin

I've never seen one that is a glow plug wrench as well as an igniter..

Is it like a nut driver with a nicad built in??
Would like to see a picture of one of these..

Man, I used those things 30 something years ago. If anything failed when you needed it most, this was it. I had 4-5 in my box. First off, nicads in the single cell were only 1.2 volts. Put out maybe 1.5 when freshly charged. As soon as your engine flooded, you were scrambling to find one that was fresh to start your engine. For this reason I went to the power panel arrangement. I now use a 4 cell lipo to power it. 4-5000 mah and power my starter as well with power to spare and lasts 1/2 a season of 8 races with 8 classes of running.
If someone could design a little wrench style with sufficient power(2-2.5volts) it would be worthwhile.

Mcdaniels rc made these, I have some for my control line aircraft stunters and they work the best but you can’t remove or tighten a plug. These are what I meant if someone could design a wrench handle into the stem you might have something

Roger asked above if it was a wrench...
I've never seen one that was built like that...

McDaniels made one like the above with a t-handle / plug wrench. I spoke with McDaniel years ago because mine quit and he had me return it to him for a repair. He no longer makes the t-handle version. If you were to carefully drill into one side of the tube of the one above ignitor and then move the wire inside over and drill through and install a piece of rod you would have the same one that McDaniel made.

Those are totally different....yours has a 5/16 hex built onto the end...the one above has a thin wall push lock tube stamped onto it. If you tried to tighten or loosen a glow plug, it would deform and strip out in a heartbeat..

That one looks like it could use a rebuild. I am thinking it is the original nicad in there. That sub C nicad red cell seem to be poking thru. Did I sell that one to your originally? I seem to recall that but not really sure.
Mike

Back