Looking for a Narrow Engine

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hydro Junkie

I'm thinking about building a boat but, unfortunately, its engine bay only has a 4.5" wide access per the plans. This pretty much rules out any side exhaust engines so I'm looking at one of the engines with the exhaust over the output shaft. Any thoughts or suggestions, other than modding the plans?

Standard engine mounts for a gas engine are 3 1/2 inches wide and come with 3/4 inch rubber isolators. Get some 1/2 inch isolators from McMaster. That will make your engine mount 4 1/2 inches wide.

I make a bar stock (billet) engine mount that's 4 inches wide and with the 1/2 inch rubbers it fits between 5 inch rails.

I can make these mounts in 3 1/2 inch width as well

Last edited by a moderator:
Glenn, you saw the mounts I made for my "mini Pak", didn't you? I have the tools to machine mounts as well, just can't go very large due to mill limits

I'm thinking about building a boat but, unfortunately, its engine bay only has a 4.5" wide access per the plans. This pretty much rules out any side exhaust engines so I'm looking at one of the engines with the exhaust over the output shaft. Any thoughts or suggestions, other than modding the plans?
Mark- if you are talking about a gas scale call me or contact me through the www.pnwta.org website

Marty

I'm running a Hypertourq mount in a 4 " tub on my Cajun Bullet gas rigger.

image.jpeg

Where did you find those rubbers Neil?? That may work on a project I have going,

Cheers

Dion
I believe I got them rubber ISO from Granger, I gotta double CK because I need to replace one and pickup a few extra. I've got a second Cajun Bullet. .81-.90 hull to convert to gas. I'll send a PM Dion

Thanks Neil!!
default_smile.png

I have a rear exhaust RCMK with a modified Zenoah top end complete ready to drop in $275 shipped

what hull style are you building ?

i've widened the engine well to 5 inches in 1/8 scale newton plans based hull builds for gas engine powered play boats.

or use 1/2 in thick rubber isolators from mc master carr - depending on what mounts are used.

9378K24 2.35 93945K34 Natural Rubber Vibration Damping Sandwich Mount, Male/Female, 1/4"-20 Thread, 1/2" High, 1" Wide

stock zenoah 231s and 260s with standard 5 inch mounts are bargains, imo.

enlarging the templates 5/4.5 will provide a 5 in well along with a slightly larger hull.

or only widen the engine well sides to 5 inches leaving the rest of the hull framing as is.

notch the deck for carb and header clearances.

a wrap-to-center header with an inside zero band pipe.

or a deck mounted pipe with a hanson offset rise header.

fitting a 1/8 scale cowl over a gas engine is difficult. i usually cut the cowl

leaving the gas engine exposed requiring a carb shroud.

readily available gas sport hydro cowls are another choice.

scale turbine style cowls might be an easier fit.

gas t-boat sized hulls and cowls solves these problems.

1/6.667 gas scale sized boats too big for me.

depends on hull style and scale appearance.

Back