looking for a cowling for a dumas eagle

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattb

Is the dumas company still in business ,because I need to replace the cowling on my sport 40.

The problem with the Eagle cowl is it is vacuformed plastic. That makes it very brittle and easily damaged. I have an Eagle kit that I plan on building but would rather have a fiberglass cowl for it than the plastic. Would that be a better option, one made from fiberglass? If so, if we could find someone that could use my cowl as a plug and make some from FG, I'd be game. Any thoughts on this one?

👍
The problem with the Eagle cowl is it is vacuformed plastic. That makes it very brittle and easily damaged. I have an Eagle kit that I plan on building but would rather have a fiberglass cowl for it than the plastic. Would that be a better option, one made from fiberglass? If so, if we could find someone that could use my cowl as a plug and make some from FG, I'd be game. Any thoughts on this one?
That would be WWWAAAYY beter than plastic! :) 👍

fiberglass would be great for the cowl ,so yeah I'm in .try and find some one to do it

Okay, I'll see what I can do but, just be aware, I don't promise anything
Update: I contacted my go to on Dumas, Jerry Dunlap, who gave me a couple of recommendations from right here in the forum. I sent one of them a private message and am waiting for a reply so we'll see. I also called Dumas and was told the Eagle, as well as its parts and decals, are no longer made so this is going to be pretty much our only option to get new stock styled cowlings. I'll see how things go, locally, before trying a few other options I'm considering

Last edited:
Nothing from the first guy I contacted. I'll give him over night and then contact the second person. After that, I'll have to go out of my area to someone else and see what happens

I got a response, it sounds like this could be doable. He just needs to know how many cowls we would be looking at. I'm thinking two for me, he would need to know how many more would be needed before he would start working on the mold. The number of cowls would determine how he builds the mold and the time needed to do so

Hey guys, I need to get back with the guy that's willing to do this for us. He needs to know how many we are going to need so when I give him my plastic cowl, he knows what kind of mold to make.

Okay, just got a request for two more so that makes a total of 7. I'll be sending off my stock cowl probably end of the week so this is kind of the last call. If anyone else wants or needs one, I need to know because it will make a difference on how the mold is made. I don't know what my glass man is going to do, I just know he's told me the amount of cowls will make a difference

Okay, just got a request for two more so that makes a total of 7. I'll be sending off my stock cowl probably end of the week so this is kind of the last call. If anyone else wants or needs one, I need to know because it will make a difference on how the mold is made. I don't know what my glass man is going to do, I just know he's told me the amount of cowls will make a difference
Your glass guy is going to make the plug much more durable . When the plug is made light after so much twisting the plug cracks and wears out .

I

So, we have a total of 8, with two days to go. Just got word from my fiberglass guy, he's going to send me all of the cowls and I will be sending them to whoever has ordered them. This means I'm going to need addresses. If you all could send me a PM with your address, it will make things a bit easier later.
Thanks guys

Okay guys, headed out the door in a few minutes to send off my OEM cowl. Looks like we have a total of 8 to be laid up.
I received word from our glass man and he's going to be sending all the cowls to me so, here's what I'm looking at:
1) I'll need addresses to ship to from everyone
2) I'll be paying for everything up front so I'll take my cost and divide by 8, giving the cost per cowl
3) I'll be adding shipping to each order so you will all be paying for the shipping to you plus the cost per cowl
Just one thing I want you all to be aware of. I'm not going to be making anything off of this deal, I'm just the middleman in this case. With that all said, my list is as follows:
Mattb wants 2
I want 2
Gene wants 1(got the pm with your address so we're good to go)
AzMandella wants 2(have your address so we're good to go)
Steve Wasylyk wants 1
Have I missed anyone because this will be the last call.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back