Loctite?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Jones

Supporting Member
New to gas. Before installing a Zenoah or other model of gas engine, is it necessary to use Loctite? I always used it on nitro motors ( not the head screws but most any other going into the case, motor mount screws, etc... Just curious while the motor is still out of the boat.

If....for some unknown reason the bolt/nut wont come off....a little heat from a butane or propane torch will unlock the locktite....dont go nuts with the heat.....and more importantly....dont go nuts with the locktite period....

So I’m gathering some do some don’t. Maybe I’ll just go with what I used to do which is blue loctite and just a drop. I learned the hard way not to do it on the head bolts on nitro motors but on some others maybe a little to be safe.

I personally am not a fan of locktite...
The head bolts seem to have a substance already applied so I never put thread compound on them.

Rich, blue thead lock is fine for hardware.Dont use it on the cyl base bolts either. as youve been doing just a small dab on threads.dont soak screw. Dont put it on the collet side mount screws as it gums up the threads in the case , the dyno guy will raise hell cause he cant spin the screws in
.motor guys hate the stuff......i hate stuff loosening up! good luck and WELCOME BACK

Personally, I red loctite the two little bolts that hold the water cooling cap on (they are bad about backing out) and the nut/pawl holding the flywheel on. Other than that... I don't use the stuff on my gas engines! Some boats do vibrate more than others though as I have seen intake and exhaust manifolds loosen up from time to time. Usually though it's not a problem. I have ppl send me gas engines to repair and EVERY SINGLE bolt/screw on the motor (including the mounts) has red loctite on it. I charge those PPL extra! :)

There are lock washers in places that need them. Like Lamar I use blue on the starting pawl, that's about it. You only seem to need it there if you remove it which generally happens when you put an EZ-Start on.

Rich, blue thead lock is fine for hardware.Dont use it on the cyl base bolts either. as youve been doing just a small dab on threads.dont soak screw. Dont put it on the collet side mount screws as it gums up the threads in the case , the dyno guy will raise hell cause he cant spin the screws in
.motor guys hate the stuff......i hate stuff loosening up! good luck and WELCOME BACK
Thanks Bud. Got the clear on the boat. It looks pretty **** good save for the fact that I got impatient and tried to flip the boat to paint the bottom (trying to do flat instead of hanging)and smudged it in a couple small areas mostly around the transom. I had small boxes lined up for the center section to rest on but I missed and got my fingers in it. Anyway that’s gonna stay the way it is for now, once I get back from Fla the radio is going in and it’s going in the water. Some orange peel probably due to cool temps but not horrible. I’ll post some pics later

When the parts are clean, you should not need any loctite on the engine bolts. I do use red loctite on the set screw holding my drive dog in place. That is about it.

Back