Lipo Battery Storage %?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Each of the 3 cells are at 3.73V and 15%. The charger took a couple of hours to complete it's storage cycle whereas a charge cycle is much quicker.
Thanks,
Chris

Just as an FYI this is quite normal.
Most chargers can put power into the battery at 10x the rate they can take power out via the discharge/storage modes.

If it becomes a big annoyance there are some high wattage dischargers on the market. I have learned what amount of run time gets my packs down to 3.7x volts and then give it a small charge when I get home to keep them in the 3.82-3.85 range. Packs are always kept in lipo safe bags inside of a metal tool box kept inside the laundry room (climate controlled).

Just as an FYI this is quite normal.
Most chargers can put power into the battery at 10x the rate they can take power out via the discharge/storage modes.

If it becomes a big annoyance there are some high wattage dischargers on the market.
Us old school electric racers use to use dischargers like this with the old school battery chemistry. You always wanted to run them all the way down because memory build up. We use to take 10x car break light bulbs and solder them together to make dischargers. It was a quick and easy way to drop the pack. You would have to be careful to not go below the voltage with the lipos thou.
Mike

I still have one I made with 10 dual filiment 1157 light bulbs, 10 gauge wire and dean's connectors...it would definitely discharge nicad packs down quickly...

not sure if it would be safe on lipo's... I wouldn't want it to cause a runaway pack if it overheated.

I have been happy with these small, low amp, dischargers. The ones I use are voltage specific but I see that RaceDayQuads now sells a discharger that works with 2-6S. Was going to pull the trigger on buying the ISDT FD100 smart discharger but these small dischargers seem easier to use and might buy the FD100 if still needed. I use the ISDT BattGo cell checker and am impressed with the cell balance function it has. My HotaD6 discharges but it takes a long while.

Battgo cell checker: ISDT BattGo BG-8S Smart Battery Checker
Discharger: ViFly Store Safe Smart 2-6S LiPo Discharger - XT30 or XT60
ISDT FD100: ISDT FD-100 Smart Discharger

Thanks to everyone for their help. I've got the battery up to 60%, in it's storage bag, and sitting on the box for winter. I'll check it from time to time to see how the % changes.
Chris

Back