Life, Lipo, Nimh, Nicad...which?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lennard Cuenco

updating TX, RX batteries,

was wondering the pros/cons of the batteries available these days,

thanx,

Len

I use nimh for both. Don't like nicads because of memory problems and still don't trust lipo's because of heat problems and having to have a special charger.

I use a Life pack. Charged my tx pack twice last year. Once April and recharged it in Sept. I used it for all 7 classes I run. It never got below 9.6v. For my rx pack stiull use NIMH pack but get the low internal self discharge packs. Work great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have been a fan of Nihm's... Don't like the threats of lipo or getting a new charger when what I have works fine... Although in a few years I would like to get a FE boat... Would like to try life batts. but they need a smaller pack with more mah...

Go to CommonSenseRC.com for tech help on batteries & the support systems. I run Li poly on all but Receiver Batteries. More Voltage per cell & More peak voltage. Go to Hobbyking.com for Chargers on LI-Poly

Lipos are good cells but LiFe has some real advantages.. Number one is stability.

I have seen a Lipo just go up in flames in the heli, (RX pack) in the back of a van. It gutted the van.

IF.. you choose to use lipos as RX or TX packs.. please take heed of all warnings and please care for them properly.

Grim

Lipos are good cells but LiFe has some real advantages.. Number one is stability.

I have seen a Lipo just go up in flames in the heli, (RX pack) in the back of a van. It gutted the van.

IF.. you choose to use lipos as RX or TX packs.. please take heed of all warnings and please care for them properly.

Grim
Grim are they working on more life batts or is what they have now going to be it? Wish they would make a smaller pack like the 200mah but a little more mah...

Thanks, Kevin...

lipo's and water don't mix . If your radio box has some water inside don't use em. My 12 Zip rigger kept letting water in. I eventually found the leak . my rubber linkage boot had a rip in the side. I still get a few drop inside. The power converter /or the stabilizer to keep a even 6 volts is also not waterproof. I'm back with NIMIM

Yes.. we are working on others.

Regarding lipos and water not mixing.. its realy no different then NIMH and water.. its corrosion that gets em all.

Make sure if you get water in your "Water box" that you allow it to FULLY DRY regardless of what cells you use to power the boat.

BTY..I am ANTI NIMP cells.. I hate those dang things.. If its not LIFE give me a good old Nicad any day.

Grim

Yes.. we are working on others.

Regarding lipos and water not mixing.. its realy no different then NIMH and water.. its corrosion that gets em all.

Make sure if you get water in your "Water box" that you allow it to FULLY DRY regardless of what cells you use to power the boat.

BTY..I am ANTI NIMP cells.. I hate those dang things.. If its not LIFE give me a good old Nicad any day.

Grim
grim, what's the issue with nimh? i'm using them without issues, if there's something i need to learn, PLEASE share the info. hate learning the "hard" way :rolleyes: .

grim, what's the issue with nimh? i'm using them without issues, if there's something i need to learn, PLEASE share the info. hate learning the "hard" way :rolleyes: .
One thing I learned a few years ago from Greg Hahn (AMA National Tech Director) is that nimh packs need to be "trained". He recommended 5 but at least a minimum of 3 charge/discharge cycles before you use them. I have not had ANY problems with nimh RX packs when following this one recommendation. :)

that's the same thing i was told by my lhs, don. no issues so far, 5 packs for 3 years now.......integy 5 cell/6 volt 1600 mah packs

I use 3S lipo packs in all my aircraft and marine transmitters. I think I have charged a couple of them once in the last year! The ones designed for transmitters are normally only 5C packs so they are typically cheap! Ebay has lots of great deals on them. Just bought two to fit my Airtronics MX3's (the flat pack) for under $10 each. That's less than the old nicad tx packs!

I have never had a problem with Nihm and I always use the slow plug in charger they come with.... I have one that is almost 5 years old that still works!!!

Knox san,

Most chargers these days have a discharge or cycle feature in them. B) Cycling chargers are a lot cheaper than they used to be. I use an Accucel 6.

Duggan san.

What do you all do to discharge your Nimh/NiCd. I know that it is best to use these all the way down before charging. I really don't like to leave my gear (TX-RX) on to wear down the charge I saw a cheap discharger on the Team Integy site. http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=2337&p_catid=199. Do you think this would be what I'm looking for?

Marty
HOBBICO ELITE Charger Is every thing you would need for that battery you speak of. However if you need LI Poly option? IMAX6 or a IMAX8 @ Hobbyking.com If you go to Towerhobbies.com & look your battery up that you are charging? They would give recommended charger & cycler in the TECH Notes....... The IMAX 6 charges & discharges multi type batteries & cells Very User friendly....... less than $40

The best thing about Life is all the times it can be recharged. They will last the longest. But 5 subc-c nimh should be just fine.

Last edited:
Back