Let's talk gas/oil mix...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flame away !!
I really find it interesting all of the different combinations people use and try to sort it out in my own mind what seems to be the best choice.
I never would have started this thread except for a conversation I was having with a well known and respected builder of our little motors the other night... he said what to run in his modded motors and it surprised me, so I thought I would start a thread to see what others are doing here as well...

I'm not going to flame ya for it. I find it amusing that you asked it here and I don't mean that in a bad way. On LSF it gets asked a lot . And if the Noobies would just use the search button it would cause a lot less grief over there. The LSF forum is pretty much dedicated to 1/5th scale 2 strokes 4 wheelers ,so any where from 23cc up to 100cc and everything in between.

Camp fuel 16:1 (oil band and type did not seem to play a large roll).. we picked up 3MPH and WAY more important is how the boat needled. SO SO nice to tune.
The motor ran cooler and were way less finicky!

Grim

Interesting ,,, I wonder how much the lower oil ratio worked into the needle setting.

I'm going to throw out a bit of chem on this one, to start. I've done some research and found that Coleman fuel and your off the shelf Naptha are almost the exact same thing. Naptha is highly flammable in the same way as Coleman fuel and costs less.
As far as octane, as we all know, octane is a rating given to fuels that ranks it's resistance to igniting. What was learned by our CMB importer, Stu, is that the CMB 27 didn't "wake up" unless it was fed 100+ octane avgas. You can find his posts on the subject in the gas forum
That’s funny. I have yet to see one woke up! Lmao
The only one I know of running good isn’t even in this country.

For my 1/5 scale Baja I have a OBR 34cc Reed case putting out 9.5hp. They recommend 28 to 1 fuel mix. I'm using Yama Lube. I also have Royal Purple 2 stroke oil. I use 91 octane and if I can find it ethanol free. But as someone else said you opened up a can of worms with that question. On the Large Scale Forum when someone asks this they usually get crucified .:D:D
That's always entertaining. When the dogpiles startup online, the most adamant and aggressive are many times just regurgitating what they've read from some other idiot, that read his "knowledge base" online as well - no real direct experience - I refer to those types as Keyboard Commanders. Saw that years ago on the import car forums - open the topic up about drilled/slotted or dimpled/grooved disc brake rotors and a firestorm erupts. Evidently Enzo Ferrari never got the word on them - probably because he developed the engineering before there was access to all the armchair experts on the internet forums....had he only known :)

Last edited:
So, what is the benefit of using camp fuel ?
Your talking about Coleman fuel right ?
isn't that stuff kinda low octane?
I've had really good luck with a 50/50 mix of Coleman camp fuel and 110 octane aviation gas. The Zenoahs perform very well, easy to needle, pump diaphragms seem to last a bit longer and the shop doesn't stink.

Is there a difference between 110 avgas and say, Sunoco 110 octane ?

Is there a difference in avgas specs?

I'm thinking about trying Sunoco 112 fuel and then camping fuel....or as Don said..a blend.

not sure on oil yet....or ratios.
16:1 oil seems light....

Myself in Australia Avgas or BP 98 Octane .
Amsoil Dominator or Klotz blend with Castor 40mls per litre mix the nite before or on the day in a dark container or stainless steel jug and keep coil .
Great needles especailly on all the Walbros and also the ATR BB carbs .
8 to 20 though variances depending motor and crank combinations and mid band pipes with the right stingers for engine classes

do not use ethanol products .

Welcome to Gas boating and happy Gas boating enjoy the new force along with Nitro :)

Iam going to be running the premix VP racing gas for 2 stroke motors that they make you can’t go wrong with their products

I saw that yesterday on VP's website,,, and thought about trying some of it.
I can take the 65 bucks for 5 gallons,,,but ****, 55 bucks for shipping kinda kills it.
hopefully I can find it locally....

I did find a place that sells Sunoco products, and stocks several fuels...might try them.

Gas/oil mixtures only, let's leave nitro out of this one for now. And yes,, I realize that this is mostly a nitro site... but I trust you guys more than the other place..

I'm just getting back into boats and have a long time history of running nitro. I did have 1 gas mono with a CC modified motor that I just ran 87 pump gas with Mercury lube before I left boats for a few years..

Now that I have been getting back into boats, I am running more gas engines than nitro and I have read about people using more than just pump gas and specific oils for different brands/mods of engines..

some say stick with 87 octane...
some say burn 112C VP...
some say use additives...

Oil brands are all over the page..just loyalty or solid evidence to back up choices ?
Mixture ratios seems to vary widely too..50:1 ?
32:1 ?

So,,, Discuss what you are using for gas and oil mix in your engine and why you choose to run the blend and type fuels and oils that you do.

Try to keep it civil !!!
Go !
If you want a modified gas 26cc or 29.5cc or QuickDraw to last. Most engine builders will recommend 10oz of quality oil to a gal of gas. 87 Clear, No Corn is excellent to run but very hard to find it. VP or Sonoco 100 racing fuel is excellent and very consistent. I have run Klotz technaplate for years and yet to blow up a motor.

Iam going to be running the premix VP racing gas for 2 stroke motors that they make you can’t go wrong with their products
No where near enough oil. The gas is great. You’ll need to supplement 50:1 is only 2.5 oz. oil per gallon. great for lawn equipment. You’ll need to add additional 6 oz per gallon oil minimum

We did a lot of testing. Zenoahs run the same on everything from Coleman fuel to VP U-2. Ask me (a proven cheater) how I know about U-2.

Lohring Miller

Camp fuel 16:1 (oil band and type did not seem to play a large roll).. we picked up 3MPH and WAY more important is how the boat needled. SO SO nice to tune.
The motor ran cooler and were way less finicky!

Grim
Mike you're right I've seen the same thing after testing all the trick fuel and special oil the lantern fuel and merc oil showed to be the fastest.

Allan, you need what the Moonshiners throw away, the methanol! :D
I got tired of replacing diaphragms and the nasty smell of gas inside my ride before getting a trailer to haul everything in.
There doesn't really seem to be a downside of running Coleman camp stove fuel. No nasty odor, no need to change needle settings, a shelf life of years, cleaner burning because it doesn't have all of the gas additives in it. I rarely replace a diaphragm anymore.
I use 8 oz. to a gallon as the 2-stroke mix comes in 16 oz. bottles it makes it easier to mix up. I used to use Honda HP-2 until it got to be really hard to get. I can get Lucas synthetic at O'Reilly Auto Parts. I get the fuel at Menard's as they're cheaper than Walmart.

Back