Lets talk about FE Scale boats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SayMikey

Post your inside pics and what power and esc your using. How are you mounting batteries? CG everything about setup.

Hello Mike,
You may remember seeing this one in Atlanta.
https://www.intlwaters.com/threads/ml-boatworks-fe-scale.55137/ Just getting used to the boat...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y35uoH2t2RM I eventually got closer to the buoys..lol

I started out with the Shultze ESC because I was waiting on a ETTI 220 Pro. The boat raced for 9 years without a single hiccup. Full disclosure: I lost the ESC this Feb. and since replaced it with another ETTI. No explanation for the failure, the set up never ran hot or got wet. Perhaps it was just time.
This boat was set up to race with her nitro sisters in our GP Series and has also raced FE only heats without any changes. She's competitive but not over the top. It's a sweet set up. I can make the trip on 5000mAh cells but like the cushion of the 5500s. I could push the boat faster with more capacity and prop but honestly don't want or need to.

NEU 1527 1.5y 850KV motor Neu Motor 1527 (approx 40 x 102mm) | Offshore Electrics
ETTI ESC Etti HV 220A Opto PRO II Navy Competition Brushless ESC (10-40 Opto) | Offshore Electrics
I'm currently running Roaring Top batteries. 2 x 5S in series for 10S
https://www.roaringtopusa.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64_75&product_id=1548mm connectors.
Hyperion 2s 1600mAh LiFe RX pack
Hitec 645MG servo (if/when it fails the boat will get a SAVOX)
1/4" cable,
Octura de-tongued X450/3
Smock turn fin slightly deeper and wider than the Virginia Craftsman fin I started with. (The boat is heavy. 17#+- RTR, IIRC)
Speedmaster hardware.
CG center of the turn fin.
Batteries are held in with Velcro and a piece of foam across the top and tucked under the deck.
Hatches taped down, no additional fasteners.
Front, rear cowls, and dummy engine all held in place with Velcro.

Hope this helps "spark" your interest. lol

Doug where does the cg fall in front of sponson transom or more like a nitro scale just behind? I see alot of guys just making the rec battery and rec dry in a box and letting the rest get wet?

Doug where does the cg fall in front of sponson transom or more like a nitro scale just behind? I see alot of guys just making the rec battery and rec dry in a box and letting the rest get wet?
I flush the motor and batteries at the end of the day with some type of corrosion inhibitor as well as all connectors.

I am old school. All electrics are in a radio box. Seen too many rusted stuff when it is all open. Just not right.
Mike

Mike,
I have two electric scales. The oberto I got From Don Ferrette. He holds the SAW record at 100 mph with the Oberto. I changed the sponson bottoms so I could heat race it and did for a couple years with the nitro boats but they banned me for being too fast. It has been a shelf queen for almost a decade. I converted my nitro Bardahl to electric and it is a sweet boat but never raced as an electric. Not enough interest in the class locally. As you can see from the photo, oberto.jpgbardahlinsides.jpg all the electronics are in a water tight area except the rudder servo which is a waterproof servo. The batteries are slid up into the bow on the Bardahl so weight is way up front and less weight on the prop. I use a 4s and 6s in series for a 10s setup. They are 65c 6000mah packs. I have an ETTI controller and the motor is an 850 kv NEU. I haven't measured and weighed everything but the cg is right at the rear of the sponsons. If I have any advice......keep the prop small. The motor will try to reach it's designed RPM no matter what. If the prop is too big....Poof goes the controller. X450 three blade is what works.

Last edited:
Mike,
I have two electric scales. The oberto I got From Don Ferrette. It holds the SAW record at 100 mph. I changed the sponson bottoms so I could heat race it and did for a couple years with the nitro boats but they banned me for being too fast. It has been a shelf queen for almost a decade. I converted my nitro Bardahl to electric and it is a sweet boat but never raced as an electric. Not enough interest in the class locally. As you can see from the photo, View attachment 310384View attachment 310385 all the electronics are in a water tight area except the rudder servo which is a waterproof servo. The batteries are slid up into the bow on the Bardahl so weight is way up front and less weight on the prop. I use a 4s and 6s in series for a 10s setup. They are 65c 6000mah packs. I have an ETTI controller and the motor is an 850 kv NEU. I haven't measured and weighed everything but the cg is right at the rear of the sponsons. If I have any advice......keep the prop small. The motor will try to reach it's designed RPM no matter what. If the prop is too big....Poof goes the controller. X450 three blade is what works.
Hi John,
I would like to buy that Oberto hydro from you, and I will either pay for shipping or come and get it. If you are interested in selling it, please send me a message or email at “[email protected]
Jim Vaughn

I have 2 FE Scales, a Dumas based `ATLAS' Blue Blaster and my Newton Plans based `Miller High Life' finished in 2018. The Miller is a G10 composite build that's never been run in competition because of very limited venues for Scale racing in my region. Current setup for the Miller is the Plett 370 BM A1S on 10S1P 90c 5200s with the Etti 220 esc and detounged 450/3 or 452/3. A build log for the Miller can be found on the OSE Scale Section at this link: U-31 MILLER HIGH LIFE 8th Scale build thread

Attachments

• IMG_0261a.JPG
    IMG_0261a.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0116.JPG
    IMG_0116.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0267.JPG
    IMG_0267.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0262a.JPG
    IMG_0262a.JPG