LETS GO BACK TO THE 1980S !

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derek owen

FRIEND OF MINE DOWN UNDER SUGGESTED i TRY THIS REAR END SET UP? idea goes back to the 80s! his dad (Dr Jock) made several riggers which had this set up and worked really well. so thought I would put the idea to use on one of my todays riggers. its a wide ski set up so will see how it goes. Mixed views no doubt on this no doubt?

Attachments

• 20211126_194724.jpg
    20211126_194724.jpg
    951.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 20211126_194741.jpg
    20211126_194741.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 60
  • 20211126_194756.jpg
    20211126_194756.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Derek
looks cool, i would be concerned about Rear CG i looks heavy. just keep that in mind

Derek
looks cool, i would be concerned about Rear CG i looks heavy. just keep that in mind
yes does add some weight rear end, (balsa with skins so not too heavy) will see how it shapes up as it goes together, i can move the radio as far forward when mounting items, also solid carbon booms instead of hollow ? if need be . all good fun ...

I played with the ski a lot. Worked well in saw runs because it would allow a larger prop on launch and would keep the transom from dropping at the end of a saw run, which could cause blow over at 100 mph if not for the ski. Heat racing I tried the ski like in your photo and closer to the engine, wider, narrower, with or without rear sponsons etc. I liked the smaller width ski with the outside sponsons out to the side of the tub. I see your rear sponsons are part of the center ski. That will work but for high speed corrections right or left while racing the rear sponsons further to the outside of the tub will keep the front sponsons from lifting too high off the water during lane changes. For example if you need to correct left at full speed the right rear sponson further to the right side of the tub will keep the left front sponson from lifting to high, which if you did not have the rear sponson far to the right side of the tub the left sponson might raise high enough to blow the boat off the water. Fun project.

I played with the ski a lot. Worked well in saw runs because it would allow a larger prop on launch and would keep the transom from dropping at the end of a saw run, which could cause blow over at 100 mph if not for the ski. Heat racing I tried the ski like in your photo and closer to the engine, wider, narrower, with or without rear sponsons etc. I liked the smaller width ski with the outside sponsons out to the side of the tub. I see your rear sponsons are part of the center ski. That will work but for high speed corrections right or left while racing the rear sponsons further to the outside of the tub will keep the front sponsons from lifting too high off the water during lane changes. For example if you need to correct left at full speed the right rear sponson further to the right side of the tub will keep the left front sponson from lifting to high, which if you did not have the rear sponson far to the right side of the tub the left sponson might raise high enough to blow the boat off the water. Fun project.
thanks for input, I also have built with centre ski and outer sponsons at rear so as a comparable . I wont blow over at 100mph as dont get to those speeds LOL thanks again ...

Latest posts

Back