Lap cat 2

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Lap Dogs" had their day 25 years ago. Back then you were hot with an "Equi" pipe. Speeds into the low 40's they will handle, heat racing today for a .45 tunnel is high 40's to mid 50's which will cause a lot of retreivals with a Prather. Just so many better hulls out there now. You can race it but be prepaired for a reality check. Mine made great beach toys for the kids to play with at the lake. I think Jay started out pushing one by the dock. VROOM!! VROOOM!!

Mic

this was my first boat, put a 7.5 redhead pro on it and really learned how to flush water out of a motor with this setup, way too much motor, i put an amps on it and it runs about 35 mph and for this hull it went well. bought my 2nd boat, a b/m leecraft with the redhead and what a difference, a r/c boat that can go 5 laps and not blow over!!!!!. if you are going to get into outboard tunnels get yourself a good hull from john otto and start off on the right track

But what about the boat is so bad not enough weight or not tunneled right? I see what you are saying about the leecraft the are nice but no ever races these boats?

But what about the boat is so bad not enough weight or not tunneled right? I see what you are saying about the leecraft the are nice but no ever races these boats?
I ran this hull back in the 90's and had mixed results. First off the turn fin was an attempt to compensate for not enough angle on the sponsons.It is also a bit short compared to newer designs,it just doesn't have enough out front to fly the boat without blowing over. It does make a good play boat but won't compete with the newer hulls.However it did handle rough water well as I recall. I agree with the others about the Leecrafts because I have 2 of them now and they run very well.

my lap cat 2 was fine up to 42-43mph, anything over that and it would dosomething like stuff or blow over. my opinion the boat is not designed to heat race over 40mph. you will have more fun with the leecraft. i even tried the lap cat 3 with the redhead and it ran slightly better but it stuffed once and cracked the hull

my lap cat 2 was fine up to 42-43mph, anything over that and it would dosomething like stuff or blow over. my opinion the boat is not designed to heat race over 40mph. you will have more fun with the leecraft. i even tried the lap cat 3 with the redhead and it ran slightly better but it stuffed once and cracked the hull
This boats are fast. Did you have it trimmed down to not blow over. If so what fuel % was you running? I think that it could be tammed but it just takes alot of R&D to figure it all out but I am gojng to be racing next season for sure and with this hull or another I will be fast. I may ot win but I will be fast.

yes you can make it fast but can it run for 5 laps?. you seem to like these hulls, my opinion try it your way and see how it works, in my case the leecraft was a superior boat to the prather but there was 15+years of design between the 2 boats

These boats are fun to play with, and are built sturdily. However, if you intend on racing, it will leave you beating your head into a wall. They just wont stay on the water with modern power that we run now. Plenty of people have tried, but its just not in the cards for this boat. Take a look at any of the race results for tunnels, then decide among those hulls on what you want to run. HTB, Vision, HTV, Leecraft, Hornet...all good hulls.

When it comes to racing, being fast is far from everything. Give me a slower more consistant boat ANYDAY.

~James

Last edited by a moderator:
Bout the same till it hits 45mph or so, then you are in the retreive boat. Just a guess, never done it. Wasted enough time on my old lap cat...

~James

Bout the same till it hits 45mph or so, then you are in the retreive boat. Just a guess, never done it. Wasted enough time on my old lap cat...

~James
Well I have a Nemesis right now which is not playing ball... Trying to sort out a new pair of sponsons for it now, but I also have a LC II sitting here which can be seriously modified. Have moulded the deck of the boat with the intention of playing with the aerodynamics of the deck - moving the lift backwards and enclosing the cockpit. I agree it is probably now too short for my mod 7.5 (Rossi/Lawless) but was really looking at is as a rough water 3.5 (Mac/Lawless) boat. Obviously I can make whatever changes on this hull I want so maybe increasing the angle of the sponsons is also on the cards?

I do like the stepped sponson idea on this boat

Eat My Shorts Racing

OK - Yes we are nuts

Last edited by a moderator:

~James
Well I have a Nemesis right now which is not playing ball... Trying to sort out a new pair of sponsons for it now, but I also have a LC II sitting here which can be seriously modified. Have moulded the deck of the boat with the intention of playing with the aerodynamics of the deck - moving the lift backwards and enclosing the cockpit. I agree it is probably now too short for my mod 7.5 (Rossi/Lawless) but was really looking at is as a rough water 3.5 (Mac/Lawless) boat. Obviously I can make whatever changes on this hull I want so maybe increasing the angle of the sponsons is also on the cards?

I do like the stepped sponson idea on this boat

Eat My Shorts Racing

OK - Yes we are nuts
I tried changing the angle to 17* for the first 8 to 10 inches and decresing the tunnel depth and adding recovery pads.This made it much better in the turns and a whole lot more predictable.It was an excellent rough water boat but it still couldn't handle the higher speeds. Good luck with whatever you do,and post some pics.

Craig, get the updated sponsons. Mine was doing the EXACT same thing until I put on the new sponsons. I never got it to make more than a lap and it would spin out. Wrked with Mike on it for a while, and finally got it going good with the right sponsons. Its an awesome boat when you get it right.

~James

Craig, get the updated sponsons. Mine was doing the EXACT same thing until I put on the new sponsons. I never got it to make more than a lap and it would spin out. Wrked with Mike on it for a while, and finally got it going good with the right sponsons. Its an awesome boat when you get it right.

~James
Yeah am working on that too....

Harder to get stuff out here :(

~James
Yeah am working on that too....

Harder to get stuff out here
sad.gif

What caused it to spin out?

Latest posts

Back