Krylon color maxx spray paints !

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riggerman

Hi all for the past 15 years i have been painting all my fast electric boats with Krylon spray cans but over the last 2 yrs they seem to keep changing the formulas .First of all the paint is going over birch aircraft plywood which i first seal in 3 coats of Pacer finishing resin then i spray several coats of Krylon color master white primer to look for surface imperfections then i guess i will be spraying the new colormaxx over the primer. Krylon tech support told me there is no clear gloss product available to spray over the colormaxx paints they are what Krylon refer to a stand alone finish. Has anyone used these colormaxx spray paint and what where the results ! I will have to probably make up a test piece. Regards Andris Golts.

Andris...im a Krylon guy...and as of late been using the colormaxx line..the only issues I'm having with any spray paint these days is spray your color as many coats as needed in one session if not it will wrinkle.....give it several days to cure...then mask for any other colors...i sand with 600-800 between colors...dont spray your next color just because it feels dry.....it will wrinkle.... after your color is done I spray over with Spraymax 2k gloss clear..seals everything up nice...

Attachments

• 20200205_204759(1).jpg
    20200205_204759(1).jpg
    615.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 20201128_105308_HDR.jpg
    20201128_105308_HDR.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 100
I used rust-oleum sander filler primer then used reg white primer then 3 coats of rust-oleum flat white on mine then used the 2x gloss over the decals came out very well

Andris...im a Krylon guy...and as of late been using the colormaxx line..the only issues I'm having with any spray paint these days is spray your color as many coats as needed in one session if not it will wrinkle.....give it several days to cure...then mask for any other colors...i sand with 600-800 between colors...dont spray your next color just because it feels dry.....it will wrinkle.... after your color is done I spray over with Spraymax 2k gloss clear..seals everything up nice...

I am somewhat new to painting and want to use the Krylon stuff. Just so I understand your suggestions.

1. Spray as many coats as you need in one session. This means spray don't do multiple thin coats and let them dry in between right?

2. Between colors wait 3-4 days between color changes.

Right?

Again new at this. Looking for all the tips I can get.

Thanks

Mike....welcome aboard....keep the coats light.....but...you can apply as many as needed in one session...too much is not your friend...allow a 5-10 minute flash off time between coats but it will run eventually....where the issue arises is if you want to do a second coat but waited a day.....it will wrinkle...
And yes...several .......days I try to wait until the paint smell on the surface is very light to almost none...now that summer and warm days are apon us...drying time happens quicker...but just because it "feels" dry...let it sit...any other questions...just ask

Mike Unger....
Here is an example....this is Krylon jungle green..i sprayed this cowl early this morning..i want a black lower trim...i will wait fro a minimum 2 days....i sprayed light coat untill I liked the color and it was smooth...dont use too much paint...remember all the paint you spray must evaporate out....this is not automotive 2 part paint...

Attachments

• 16220704356942897111733260217390.jpg
    16220704356942897111733260217390.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 61
Mike Unger....
Here is an example....this is Krylon jungle green..i sprayed this cowl early this morning..i want a black lower trim...i will wait fro a minimum 2 days....i sprayed light coat untill I liked the color and it was smooth...dont use too much paint...remember all the paint you spray must evaporate out....this is not automotive 2 part paint...

Thanks Robert! I am doing mostly white with some red / blue stripes. Should be an easy color and pattern to start with.

let it dry, let it dry, let it dry. Clear it to early it will swell and crinkle. Cant make a mistake by letting it dry to long. Color over color is OK 2k clear will swell it in a heartbeat if not thoroughly dry.

How are you guys getting the rattle can so smooth? I always do light coats about 12" away, but can never seem to get it as smooth as I would like. I thought about wet sand everything then clearing my next hull.

Robert is right. I've been messing around with the rattle can and Createx water color paints covered up with an automotive clear coat. The Createx is great if you have an airbrush or gun but they seem to be brittle and pull up with tape even after clear coating.
The Rustoleum rattle can paint likes to wrinkle sometimes if you put the second coats on too heavy.
I usually do a light scuff with a red or green Scotch Brite pad to give the paint some teeth to bite in to.
Flat paints seem a little easier to work with for me. Doesn't matter if they are flat if your clear coating over them.
Over the years I've grown to favor the Krylon brand of paint myself. Seems like it is less likely to wrinkle than Rustoleum brand.

If you get on U-Tube and search for Rustoleum there are quite a few video's of guy's using rustoleum paints with hardener additives that speed up the process and make the paint a bit more durable too. They are using an airbrush or gun and paint out of a can though.
I try to wait a few days for the paint to gas out and wet sand everything then apply the clear coat in a light coat or two at first then some heavy coats. I'll then wet sand again followed with a heavy flow coat of clear for a deep look. Wet sand with some 1500 to 2000 grit to knock of any imperfections and then buff out with a buffer.

I've even messed around with fine glitter between clear coats for a metal flake look. Works pretty well.

If you use pinstripe tape over the paint lines of different colors and before clear coat it makes it pop too.

It's a bit more cost but myself use the spraymax line on my boats. 2k primer, 1k colors, 2k clear. Start to finish in one day, give it a few days then start assembling the boat, MUST use a respirator with the stuff.

Hey guys....here is a total Krylon job....
Gloss white, Jungle green, Gloss black and Krylon silver blast over the white...i also have 1/8"black and red vinyl for the windoes and some trim..i will clearcoat it with PPG shopline gloss clear

Attachments

• 16224772594677364829238328323181.jpg
    16224772594677364829238328323181.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 60
I just learned a couple tricks this past week. If you’re using enamel based paints it helps to add the “hardener”. (Mentioned above) i’ve used with sign paints then cleared over them. Tractor Supply has some inexpensive hardener for enamel paints. Works great. Its made by Majic paint. And about half the price of what amazon wants for it.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/majic-catalyst-hardener-clear-half-1-2-pint

So...how is it added to a spray can...or is it added to the rustoleum in the quart cans

Yes exactly - I bought the Rustoleum at Lowes, 16$ a quart, tintable to any of the colors you want. Add the hardener. I believe that half pint, I listed earlier, will treat a gallon of enamel. Add the reducer as directed by the manufacturer, usually no more than 15%. Shoots very nice. Way cheaper than sign paint or the automotive systems. Works great for starting stands and any other projects. Gloss has a nice sheen without the clearcoat. Cuts down on time too. Probably not nitro safe but probably OK for gas and electrics...

Yes exactly - I bought the Rustoleum at Lowes, 16$ a quart, tintable to any of the colors you want. Add the hardener. I believe that half pint, I listed earlier, will treat a gallon of enamel. Add the reducer as directed by the manufacturer, usually no more than 15%. Shoots very nice. Way cheaper than sign paint or the automotive systems. Works great for starting stands and any other projects. Gloss has a nice sheen without the clearcoat. Cuts down on time too. Probably not nitro safe but probably OK for gas and electrics...
I will have to give that a shot....

I’ve been experimenting! With all different types of paints. Traditionally everyone used hobby-poxy basic colors. Lately i have been using a white epoxy basecoat. Followed by a auto air sealer which is a water based acrylic. Then auto air colors, more water acrylics, followed by a PPG shopline clear coat. Im liking the results.

Attachments

• 379E6CC4-E8C7-4541-BB5C-BF9CA88C928A.jpeg
    379E6CC4-E8C7-4541-BB5C-BF9CA88C928A.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 34
Discontinued - Auto-Air Colors™ | High Performance Water-Based Custom & Airbrush Paint by Createx Colors is the website. They have recently changed the brand to "Wicked". They are acrylic water based colors that are phenomenally easy to work with water clean up. Durable and less expensive than many other options. They stick to most anything too. If you clear over them it doesn't need to be epoxy or auto based stuff. I've been having some fun learning with these paints. Tons of help videos. Air brushers to full auto restorations. Way tougher and harder your crafter paints.

The sealer is their basecoat that everything goes over. Check it out.

Back