Klaskote question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been using lacquer thinner for cleaning the spray gun but I have never tried to thin KlassKote paint with it. Lacquer thinner seems to do a good job cleaning up the gun. My guess is that it may be OK as a reducer if used in small quantity. I will try it this weekend and will report on the results

Klasskote says You can on their web site.
Olly,
I use a good lacquer, as a thinner for klass coat paint up to 50% and have good results, I normally spray two very light coats about 20 min apart and let it dry for a week to get sword hard.
Walt Barney

I sprayed several Klasskote primer coats today using Klean Strip lacquer thinner. I can report that it worked well although the primer seemed to take a little longer to become tack free. I can post picture tomorrow when the primer has cured enough to be handled.

I sprayed several Klasskote primer coats today using Klean Strip lacquer thinner. I can report that it worked well although the primer seemed to take a little longer to become tack free. I can post picture tomorrow when the primer has cured enough to be handled.
I agree on that the primer drys slower using lacquer thinner but for the last 6 to 8 boats that I have painted I have not used any primer, I just coat the wood with thinned epoxy scrape it of and let it dry, I do it twice, then paint it,I do thin the paint 50% and spray a light coat let it dry for about 20 min just so it is tacky then spray another coat on the second coat is a little heaver and let it dry for a week to get sword hard
Walt Barney

I agree on that the primer drys slower using lacquer thinner but for the last 6 to 8 boats that I have painted I have not used any primer, I just coat the wood with thinned epoxy scrape it of and let it dry, I do it twice, then paint it,I do thin the paint 50% and spray a light coat let it dry for about 20 min just so it is tacky then spray another coat on the second coat is a little heaver and let it dry for a week to get sword hard
Walt Barney
Hi Walt, I did use the epoxy and scrape technique on several wood hulls and it worked well. Filled the grains better than primer. In my case, I am rebuilding an old fiberglass hull. There are several Bondo patches that the primer would hide them better. If I start spraying color, I may need more coats.
Thanks, k

Hi Guys , I have used Klas kote for several years. Using a good quality lacquer thinner is a must. The only problem i have had is using the wrong type low, medium and fast. It is determined by the air temperature at the time of spraying. If temperature is high and fast thinner is used, you will up with orange peel because the solvent has evaporated before the paint could level out. I normally paint the colors, wet sand, apply graphics and paint the clear coat to finish. The clear coats can be sanded with 2000 grit paper and polished. Thank you, Gary

Back